Skip to content
Maintankadin

Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

vexryn
Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Njall wrote:
vexryn wrote:As requested, I've shown some love to my warrior brethren; ranged slot (gun) tank options are now listed. :)

My sympathies to the warriors. Your options for this slot really suck until you get/buy the Bastion of Twilight trash drop! If I missed another piece of gear in this slot, please let me know!



I think you missed the engineering bows and weapons. I can't link them here at work but the Kickback5000 is supposedly pretty good.



I took a look at some of the bows and such and didn't see many options. They're all agility, and while that isn't necessarily fatal, most of it that I saw doesn't even have masteyr. The Kickback 5000 is agility/crit/haste; perhaps it's of interest to dps warriors, but the ilvl 318 quest gear would seem to be far better for actual tanking?
Belmage
Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Vexryn, thank you SO much for this guide - I've finally got round to levelling up my pally, and you've saved me an awful lot of research!

Your efforts are much appreciated by this mage pretending to know how to drive a tankadin :)
Kibaikasu
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Hey, just wanted to point out something in the Enchant section of the guide, you forgot to add Cardboard Assassin onto the belt portion. IMHO it is a better engineer tinker as the PSG tends to backfire, and one of the side-effects is nasty, a increased % chance to take a crit and only absorbs about 20k damage when it works properly. Cardboard Assassin, on the other hand, pops a training dummy that has almost 80k hp, an AoE taunt, and the ability to parry. AND it works on bosses and trash alike. I've used it when I tank and it's an awesome trinket to have. I wouldn't run without one. XD
theckhd
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

We noticed last night that Cardboard Assassin was no longer taunting Chimaeron, at least on Heroic mode. I didn't think to test it on other bosses, but I'll try it on Maloriak or Nef/Ony tonight. It's possible they've hotfixed it (though, given that every other tinker has a pretty nasty backfire, it's still probably the best option we have).
vexryn
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Kibaikasu wrote:Hey, just wanted to point out something in the Enchant section of the guide, you forgot to add Cardboard Assassin onto the belt portion. IMHO it is a better engineer tinker as the PSG tends to backfire, and one of the side-effects is nasty, a increased % chance to take a crit and only absorbs about 20k damage when it works properly. Cardboard Assassin, on the other hand, pops a training dummy that has almost 80k hp, an AoE taunt, and the ability to parry. AND it works on bosses and trash alike. I've used it when I tank and it's an awesome trinket to have. I wouldn't run without one. XD



Thanks for the suggestion. I've added it to the guide!
BlindTank
Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Awesome guide.

Some of the rep reward gear that isn't strictly tanking gear seems like it would be pretty decent (compared to blues) if reforged.

Belt of the Ferocious Wolf http://www.wowhead.com/item=62384 for example. Right now I have the JP belt (Girdle of the Mountains), but am tempted to replace it with that. As I don't raid, most of the good stuff is out of my reach, so I'm looking for alternatives...

What do you think?
michael000
Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Was playing around w/ ring combinations a few nights ago and noticed that i got more total avoidance towards the CTC cap using a Heroic Umbriss Band and Red Rock Band w/ their 168 mastery each than i did using either one of those rings and a Felsen's Ring of Resolve. This being the case wouldn't this move those 2 rings above all the 346 rings (and possibly a couple of the 359s) especially since the dmg mitigation from mastery is our primary tanking stat? Rings become even more attractive once you reforge out the expertise and hit into either dodge or parry.
Drogba
Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

The BOE trash drops are only normal, the heroic ones dosnt exist (no heroic trash).

Also the T11-Hc leg token is dropped by Maloriak-Hc.
Athos
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

This guide is outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to put it together!
rosefirelite2358
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:16 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

I didn't find this on your list, I got it during Love Is In The Air off Apothecary Hummel <Crown Chemical Co.> In SFK
Shard of Pirouetting Happiness
http://www.wowhead.com/item=68172

BTW to see it on me I'm in <K A S> Stormscale
halabar
Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Great guide. I hadn't gone through it before, but you've validated most of my thinking that I did when going over Dirgen's and Petrus's lists. Great job!
vexryn
Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

rosefirelite2358 wrote:I didn't find this on your list, I got it during Love Is In The Air off Apothecary Hummel <Crown Chemical Co.> In SFK
Shard of Pirouetting Happiness
http://www.wowhead.com/item=68172

BTW to see it on me I'm in <K A S> Stormscale


Got it, thanks! :)
Cascadian
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

deleted and moved to gear advice thread
Cascadian
Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

deleted and moved to the gear advice thread
Cascadian
Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

deleted and moved to the gear advice thread
Sabindeus
Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

FYI you have a lot of links to cata.wowhead.com which no longer returns tooltips via the javascript integration.
vexryn
Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Sabindeus wrote:FYI you have a lot of links to cata.wowhead.com which no longer returns tooltips via the javascript integration.


Eww, didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll try to go through soon and update them to the now-current www.wowhead.com versions. Thanks.
jdchapman
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

By the way, thank you so much for all the work you've put in on this. Your info confirmed some tanking issues I was slowly realizing and made sense of some things that had me completely flustered.
Lionizer
Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progress

Any special reason why you don't rank Necklace of Strife on your list?
It gives a higher CTC at the expense of some threat if I'm not mistaken.
vexryn
Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progress

Fully updated for ZA/ZG tank gear!
mcfatty
Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progress

Best in slot neck/cloak now come from Alakir heroic. They added neck/cloak drops in 4.1 with the same random enchants as other gear from throne of the four winds.
Katharsis
Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progress

not sure if you would want to, but you could include the 1h mace trash drop from ZG with haste reforged to mastery and also where would the ret t11 pants fit in the list do you think?
Roest
Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progress

Nice list. Thank you.

One thing that's missing is the new archeology shield http://www.wowhead.com/item=69764