Gaxby
Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 am
Re: 4.0.3a Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide
Digren, you seem to have forgotten one of the best pre-raid exalted rep ring from Earthen Ring: Signet of the Elder Council.

Øtep wrote:Would it be possible to get some stats/opinions for [Buc-Zakai Choker]?
It seems to fit the mastery/reforge of some other neck pieces (e.g. [Necklace of Strife])
Cheers
Øtep
Vardis wrote:I wonder if you have checked out the Signet of The Elder Council from Earthen Ring reputation. It has more stam than Ring of Three Lights and Felsen's Ring of Resolve and nets about .4% of a mitigation increase as well as a slight crit chance increase.
Digren wrote:Neck1. [Ironstar Amulet] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Atramedes
Fingers
2. [Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace] : BoE Dungeon Drop
3. [Necklace of Strife] : The Bastion of Twilight () Valiona
4. [Rage of Ages] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Nefarian
Digren says, "Unlike the normal version, the heroic Ironstar Amulet is best in class. That said, the Don supplied a close second choice for the rich and unlucky."1. [Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
1. [Permafrost Signet of the Bedrock] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
2. [Dargonax's Signet] : The Bastion of Twilight (Heroic) Sinestra
3. [Permafrost Signet of the Bouldercrag] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
4. [Bile-O-Tron Nut] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Chimaeron
Digren says, "With so many options, I've limited this list to the top five. All other iLvl 272 choices (Ring of Rivalry, Cloudburst Ring of the Faultline) fall below the best iLvl 359 options are so aren't worth including here."
Velo wrote:Digren wrote:Neck1. [Ironstar Amulet] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Atramedes
Fingers
2. [Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace] : BoE Dungeon Drop
3. [Necklace of Strife] : The Bastion of Twilight () Valiona
4. [Rage of Ages] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Nefarian
Digren says, "Unlike the normal version, the heroic Ironstar Amulet is best in class. That said, the Don supplied a close second choice for the rich and unlucky."1. [Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
1. [Permafrost Signet of the Bedrock] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
2. [Dargonax's Signet] : The Bastion of Twilight (Heroic) Sinestra
3. [Permafrost Signet of the Bouldercrag] : Throne of the Four Winds(Heroic) Nezir
4. [Bile-O-Tron Nut] : Blackwing Descent (Heroic) Chimaeron
Digren says, "With so many options, I've limited this list to the top five. All other iLvl 272 choices (Ring of Rivalry, Cloudburst Ring of the Faultline) fall below the best iLvl 359 options are so aren't worth including here."
First off I want to thank you for an extremely helpful guide and I appreciate that you included agility items too! Me being a survivability/CTC whore I want to make sure I make the correct gear choices. That being said I have a couple questions about your neck and ring rankings.
I'm curious why you don't have [Necklace of Strife] on the list. For your Stage 4 section you have the normal Strife over the normal Ironstar. Unless I calculated it wrong, wouldn't it be better and rank higher than [Ironstar Amulet]?
The same question applies to the rings. IIRC we can't wear 2 Permafrost rings and like you said there's several choices for the 2nd ring. What's your input on where the [Mistral Circle] of the Windstorm/Zephyr would stand? Since just like the neck in Stage 4 you have those rings above the Bile-O-Tron Nut. To me, [Bile-O-Tron Nut] isn't very impressive... its barely an upgrade over the Battle Anthem and normal Permafrosts and I'm considering just passing it.
Dargonax(H) RoRivalry(H) Mistral(H) Permafrost(H) Bile-O-Tron(H) Elder Council Permafrost(N)
+Fractured
STA + 59 + 36 + 35 + 35 + 36 --- - 1
STR + 49 + 25 -190 + 24 - 37 -190 ---
AGI --- --- +214 --- --- +190 ---
Mast + 66 + 16 + 16 + 16 - 77(ref) --- - 1
Dodge -127 -127 - 70(ref) + 16 + 88 - 77(ref) - 1
Parry + 45(ref) + 57(ref) --- --- --- --- ---
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Net
Dodge -127 -127 + 60 + 16 + 88 + 39 - 1
Parry + 58 + 63 - 52 + 6 - 10 - 52 - 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Net
D+P - 69 - 64 + 8 + 22 + 78 - 13 - 2
Mast + 66 + 16 + 16 + 16 - 77 --- ---
STA + 59 + 36 + 35 + 35 + 36 --- - 1theckhd wrote:Just a sanity check here.
If I had to rank them in order, it would be something like this:
1. Mistral(H)
2. Permafrost(H)
2. Dargonax(H)
3. Ring of the Battle Anthem (Valor)
3. Permafrost(N)
3. Bile-O-Tron(H)
4. Signet of the Elder Council (Rep)
5. Ring of Rivalry(H)
The reason I bring this up is that you've left off the normal-mode items from your heroic list, despite the fact that two of them (RoBA+Permafrost) are strong enough to warrant passing on Bile-O-Tron(H).
Str Agi Sta Dodge Mas Haste
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 214 321 143 143
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 321 143 143 Str Agi Dodge Haste
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 214 143
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 143 Str Agi Dodge
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 214 57
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 143 Str Agi Dodge
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 214
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 86 Str Dodge
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 130.3
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 86 Str Dodge
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 44.3
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 214 Warriors, Paladins, and Death Knights now all get 25% Strength as Parry Rating as a base skill, with all decimals floored.
Parry Dodge
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 44.3
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 53.5 Avoidance
Mistral Circle of the Zephyr (Heroic) 44.3
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Heroic) 53.5 Str Sta Dodge Mas Exper
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 153 322 215 126
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 190 285 126 126 Str Sta Dodge Mas Exper
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37 89 126
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 37 126 Str Sta Dodge Mas
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37 89 50
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 37 126 Str Sta Dodge Mas
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37 89
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 37 76 Sta Dodge Mas
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37 79.75
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 76 Sta Mas
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37 60 ish
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 76 Sta Mas
Bile-O-Tron Nut (Heroic) 37
Permafrost Signet of the Rockslab (Normal) 16 ish yappo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong:
I've understood that AP increases the amount we self-heal (mainly WoG). This ought to give a very low, but measurable survivability from strength and stamina. In the case of strength I asssume that N strength results in better overall selfheals compared with N agility (AP versus crit).
theckhd wrote:And yes, I would still use normal Permafrost over heroic Bile-O-Tron. You're adhering too rigidly to this "mastery = x stamina" relationship concept; the value of x changes too significantly with your current stamina and mastery levels to make that very useful.
If you take a look at my armory, I've gone very heavily for mastery to test it out, and the lost stamina really hasn't made any difference. I'm not sure I'm quite at the point where I'd swap to the STR/MAS helm enchant (16.5 parry and 35 mastery vs. 90 stam and 35 dodge, that works out to a net difference of 90 stam + 18.5 dodge vs. 35 mastery), but I'm choosing mastery over stamina in almost every other slot that I can.
theckhd wrote:Lower stages should see a lower ratio (i.e. stamina more valuable) and higher stages should see a higher ratio.
theckhd wrote:I suppose I should have qualified my statement a little more, to say that "A stage 4 tank and a stage 5 tank attempting the same level of content will have different target values of mastery ratio."
It's the same argument as before. Stamina is more valuable if you're undergeared for the content. For example, a tank in full 346 blues attempting entry-level raids will probably still value stamina fairly highly. Once you're in full 359 epics, you already have enough stamina to survive every normal-mode boss (and at least several heroic ones), so stamina becomes less valuable compared to extra mitigation.
Biggby wrote:Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for this list. It's really helped me plan which heroics I'm running and where I'm grinding rep.
I have a pretty elementary question for you, so please feel free to refer me to another thread or something. I got the Signet of the Elder Council last night and can't wrap my head around how this is a tanking ring. I keep looking at the agility and haste and comparing it to my current rings, neither of which are even listed as Stage 1 tank rings! They are both level 316 with more traditional tanking stats on them. I assume I should reforge the haste into mastery, but it still seems odd that this would be ranked above rings that have secondary stats of dodge, parry or even hit or expertise!
I want to understand why this is so good so I can make better judgement calls when comparing other gear. If I roll on some 1-handed weapon with agility on it and there's a hunter in my group, I'm going to need to be able to explain myself. (Plus, I'd like to be knowledgable and not just blindly following a guide.) I've read the above messages about agility converting to a certain percentage of avoidance, but feel like I still must be missing something. Thanks again.
Biggby