Skip to content
Maintankadin

Prot warrior raid stat priority

Worldie
Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 am

Prot warrior raid stat priority

So my main alt is a Protection Warrior
( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... 9/advanced )

I have mostly tanked just 5 men and LFR, but since now I finally got accepted in our alt run and have tanked a bit of ToT, I would like to optimize my gear a bit.

My main concern is hit/expertise: right now i'm gemming stamina and reforging to hit hit cap and hard expertise cap (though extremely far from the second)

Second concern would be the Shield Barrier vs Shield Block dilemma: right now I'm using Barrier preemptively against predictable phisical spikes or against magic and reactively as minor cooldown if I for some reason drop low, while instead using Shield Block against "standard melee damage" and blockable phisical spikes. Is this the right way to use them?
(curiosity on this subject, is Tortos chew blockable?)
Bellanka
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Prot warrior raid stat priority

Worldie wrote:So my main alt is a Protection Warrior
( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... 9/advanced )

I have mostly tanked just 5 men and LFR, but since now I finally got accepted in our alt run and have tanked a bit of ToT, I would like to optimize my gear a bit.

My main concern is hit/expertise: right now i'm gemming stamina and reforging to hit hit cap and hard expertise cap (though extremely far from the second)

Second concern would be the Shield Barrier vs Shield Block dilemma: right now I'm using Barrier preemptively against predictable phisical spikes or against magic and reactively as minor cooldown if I for some reason drop low, while instead using Shield Block against "standard melee damage" and blockable phisical spikes. Is this the right way to use them?
(curiosity on this subject, is Tortos chew blockable?)


I didn't see a question for the first one, but I'm assuming you meant to ask what you should go for after Hit/Exp?

If so, then your answer is Mastery and Stamina.

Barrier-vs-Block seems simple enough at first: Block for Physical Damage, Barrier for Magic Damage; but if you have a Vengeance monitoring add-on you'll find there's a point where your rage is better spend on barrier over Block. (H-Wind Lord is one of the best examples of this.) Personally, I like to bank rage for the big spikes you KNOW are incoming and use Block with a 20+Rage Barrier as well if I know I'll get chunked low even through one or the other.

Snapping Bite is indeed Blockable.
Worldie
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Prot warrior raid stat priority

Well my Shield block didnt seemb to block it.

And I'm mainly asking if I should aim for caps or just stack stam/mastery. I'm at hit cap but below exp hard cap, I'm debating if I should gem expertise or stamina.
Bellanka
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Prot warrior raid stat priority

Worldie wrote:Well my Shield block didnt seemb to block it.

And I'm mainly asking if I should aim for caps or just stack stam/mastery.


Definitely aim for caps. A miss/parry/dodge is missed rage, and with the high cost of use on Block you don't want to be sitting at 55 rage with a heavy hit about to land. Any extra rage you get can always be put into more Barriers for even more mitigation if you find yourself swimming in it, or more Heroic Strikes/Cleaves for DPS/Threat or, my personal favorite, a lifesaving heal from Last Stand-and/or-Rallying Cry+Enraged Regen.