Mine is a BM Hunter, so (most) everything in this post is for that spec.
The EJ and Icy-Veins guides have a couple of holes in them, and a couple of points where they violently disagree.
Question #1: Rapid Fire.
The EJ guide says to stack RF with BW (going so far to say to macro them together). This makes very little sense to me - we've never done that before as BW reduces Focus cost of shots by half, so we try to spam Arcane/KC (i.e., stuff not affected by RF) during BW. The EJ guide also says something about "increasing WH uptime". WH? Is that Wild Hunt? I don't see that in my Pet Spellbook - thought that was an old pet talent that went away in 5.0.4. Anyway, if Pet Focus is that important during BW, we'd be taking Fervor instead of Dire Beast...
Icy Veins says that it's "detrimental" to stack RF/BW. That's more of what I'd expect, though a bit weaker than the "DON'T DO THAT!" that I'd put on it!
Question #2: Multishot usage.
Both guides just say "Spam Multishot when 5+ targets" and nothing more, but that completely ignores how Beast Cleave works. How many targets do you need to replace an Arcane with a Multi every 4 seconds for more DPS (taking Beast Cleave into account)? As far as I can tell, nobody's even asked this question, much less attempted to answer it. I'd imagine that number is less than "5", though!
Question #3: Lynx Rush vs Blink Strike.
EJ hasn't touched the new Lynx Rush at all, while Icy Veins simply says "they're about equal".
Going by the new Lynx tooltip, it's awful (5k total per stack over 15 seconds - ick - there's no way that can be correct). I haven't tried Blink yet, but a friend has and is reporting huge-damage crits during BW. Blink is also more consistent - Lynx performs poorly when it hits a target that's going to die within its duration and doesn't get helped by BW at all.
Observation #1: Focus Fire.
The EJ guide says to hit FF when it lights up (5 stacks of Frenzy), while Icy Veins says basically "use it when it hits 5 stacks, except right before a BW, though you can just take it completely off your action bar and not really lose anything."
I'm going to propose something that makes far more intuitive sense to me: Use Focus Fire right after BW ends. This allows Frenzy to build back up to 5 stacks for the next BW, it gives you haste right after a BW (where you're low on Focus and casting a bunch of Cobra Shots anyway), and you won't hit it at a bad time (using it poorly is worse than not using it at all).
I've been doing this and it seems to be working well, though I've only hit it when it's "lit" at the end of BW - it's probably fine to just hit it every time, lit or not. I'm not SimCraft-literate enough to figure out how to code that - would be nice to try though...
Observation #2: Must-have Raid Pet.
I'm talking about the Pink Flamingo, of course! (Though I'm currently using a purple one, not pink...)
Tallstriders apply the Weakened Armor debuff, but in a unique way - it applies all 3 stacks in one cast, and it hits everything in the area with it! (6 yard radius, IIRC) It's on a 17sec cooldown for BM - makes it awesome for mass trash pulls and bosses with lots of adds. (Will, WindLord)
Jabari
Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 pm
