For most of Cataclysm I've been raiding as an Enhancement Shaman. I think I do pretty well at it for the most part, knowing how to get good dps numbers out of the spec, but there are areas I'm always aware I can improve, so I thought I'd try to get a thread going to talk about things a Shaman can do to improve gameplay beyond just getting a rotation right.
With Mists of Pandaria on the horizon and looking to move us toward using temporary utility totems more often, its reminded me that this is one of the areas I'm not so good at. There are a couple in particular I want to start thinking about more.
Stoneclaw Totem - I've not really thought about this one much in the past, but lately I've been seeing talk about the Glyph of Stoneclaw and its use in raiding, particularly with the high amount of raid damage in Dragon Soul heroics.
As I understand it the Glyph places an approx. 16k absorb shield on the Shaman, making it a minor damage reduction on a short cooldown. Do absorbs from this apply after all other damage reduction?
To drop it I'd be giving up an Earth totem, usually Strength of Earth; in our group's current raids I believe we don't have a Priest or DK, and not always two Warriors, so I think I'm often the only one giving that buff. How much is that extra survivability really worth if it lowers raid dps?
And how much trouble can its taunt mechanic get me in?
Grounding Totem - I freely admit I have totally neglected this totem out of a complete lack of any idea how best to use it. I don't think I've used it even once since I started playing a Shaman. What spells can it work on? In particular, is there anywhere in Dragon Soul where Grounding is worth using?
KysenMurrin
Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 am
