Skip to content
Maintankadin

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Arjuna
Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 am

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

So is there still a good DK resource site out there?
Fenrìr
Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Arjuna wrote:So is there still a good DK resource site out there?



yea, it's called come here and bug Shoju.
Arjuna
Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Hahaha! Well, then I'll just do that...though I know most things already. The only thing I was wondering about was the gem priority, but I got that one answered above without me having to ask it even, perfect! :D
Shoju
Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

LOL.

Thanks guys. It makes me feel good to know that you would come and bug me.

@arjuna.

Mastery is our bread and butter awesome-sauce stat at least until 5.0 goes live. When that goes live, I'm afraid there will have to be a new Dk to haunt the off spec forums of MTadin.

If you are looking for "what would Shoju do" This is what I would do, and it should stay active on my tanking gear, (outside of wednesday night) from now until they remove my character from the armory (I don't get to tank as much anymore, since DS needs 2 tanks for a handful of fights).

For more challenging content (Read: H:Blackhorn and H:Madness) It is viable, to favor stamina more, because those two fights can hit like trucks, and Impale on H:Madness is the killer.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Fenrìr
Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Welp, been playing my dk to gear it out for CM:Golds since no one seems to want a prot or ret paladin. Any of you got a DK alt / main for this patch that's decently heroic / raid ready?

Been trying to decide if it's worth it to go 7.5/7.5 into Mastery or just straight Mastery and let the hit/exp come from gear alone.
JoeBravo
Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Fenrìr wrote:Welp, been playing my dk to gear it out for CM:Golds since no one seems to want a prot or ret paladin. Any of you got a DK alt / main for this patch that's decently heroic / raid ready?

Been trying to decide if it's worth it to go 7.5/7.5 into Mastery or just straight Mastery and let the hit/exp come from gear alone.


working on my horde DK alt as CM tank. planning on going all out on mastery 1st and 7.5/7.5 2nd.
Jackinthegreen
Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

I recently started looking at DKs again and got thinking about the chance to Scent of Blood proccing from dodges and parries now as well as its interaction with the DR on dodge and parry. So far in my searching I've come across the likelihood that it's based on PPM now to discourage DW tanking. With a 3.6 speed weapon, but no faster, it supposedly has a 100% proc chance, which would suggest its PPM is at least 16.66_. Can anyone confirm this?

If it can be confirmed then it might require updating SimC a bit since I originally looked in the coding there to find its PPM only to discover it's referencing http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49509 and http://www.wowhead.com/spell=148211, which show it as being a flat 100% chance.

Even if WoWhead/SimC don't need to be updated and the spell IDs are indeed using the proper PPM stuff but aren't showing it, can we safely assume that that also applies to SoB's chance to proc on dodges and parries, which is to say that using a 3.6 speed weapon guarantees every dodge and parry will proc it? If so, does that have an internal CD on it just in case Blizz doesn't want DKs being flooded with RP while AoE tanking?

All this is to lead up to a question: Given players can still parry haste, is it perhaps better overall for DKs of an avoidance persuasion (after getting comfortable levels of mastery and stamina) to stack parry and ignore balancing the DR between dodge and parry since it would result in more SoB procs per time from parry-hasted attacks and thus lead to more RP/runes/survival?
Skye1013
Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:19 am

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

So... I dusted off my DK and leveled him up to 90 so I could solo stuff more easily... I did have a question though... what exactly is the little number that shows up on Death Strike (it builds up to a max of 5, either through use of abilities or taking damage, I'm not entirely sure which, then resets whenever DS is used...)

Also...trying to decide which talents I like best...

Particularly for the rune generation tier (Blood Tap/Runic Empowerment/Runic Corruption I think?) I was reading the icyveins page (for Frost DKs) and it suggested that BT was the best, followed by RE (if you prefer a passive that you don't have to think about) with RC being the worst... am I correct in assuming this holds true for Blood DKs as well?

First tier, I like the Blood Boil one, as it allows me to spread/refresh diseases with an AoE ability that I'm probably using anyway.

The other tiers (I don't remember exact order) I went with the 10% speed buff(which I need to remember to put on my bar... keep forgetting it has an active ability on top of its passive effect...), the AD clone that saves you from death, but you have heal yourself quickly or die anyway, the steal health from a minion, and Gorefiend's Grasp (which I might switch out, but for now serves as an extra interrupt on a lot of stuff.)
Daeva001
Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Skye1013 wrote:So... I dusted off my DK and leveled him up to 90 so I could solo stuff more easily... I did have a question though... what exactly is the little number that shows up on Death Strike (it builds up to a max of 5, either through use of abilities or taking damage, I'm not entirely sure which, then resets whenever DS is used...)


That's the number of Scent of Blood stacks that you have. You get one whenever you land an auto-attack or avoid a melee and each stack increases your Death Strike's heal by 20%.
bldavis
Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

i personally go with blood tap macroed with rune strike, fairly easy fire and forget button...not the best if you are a min/maxer but yeah

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#kDD|MR that is what i generally run with for just solo content, with a macro for lichborne that casts death coil on myself

death pact is nice, i can heal myself 95% if i use it and vamp blood at the same time
Skye1013
Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

While I'm sure it's great, I've just never been a big fan of using the LB/DC combo... might just be because I started out as Frost back in the day and DC wasn't part of their rotation/priority... so largely became overlooked.
bldavis
Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:46 am

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

purgatory is great for raiding, but when you are just out soloing, you are probably going to die anyway
LB/DC also gives you another fear break
Skye1013
Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

bldavis wrote:purgatory is great for raiding, but when you are just out soloing, you are probably going to die anyway
LB/DC also gives you another fear break

Soloing as Blood, I just need to DS after purgatory pops and 95% of the time it's enough healing to keep me alive (along with the bubble it gives for subsequent hits.)

As for fear break... unless I'm taking on warbringers, I don't generally encounter fear much while soloing, so my WotF tends to do the job.