Skip to content
Maintankadin

Single Target Taunt Mechanic

Agamemnoch
Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Single Target Taunt Mechanic

I had an idea for a single target taunt that would be genuinely Paladin flavored.

Instead of just a growl, or a shout or anything type of taunt, why not make our taunt a judgment that is off the GCD?

It would make it 8 or 10 seconds (and could be talented from the ret tree to lower the CD).

It would allow us to taunt a single target within judgment range, and that's all people really want, along with doing some damage and being downright effective.

It would not matter if it was used on a regular mob/boss we were high on threat with. We could just use it when a mob/boss gets loose.

"Oh no, Big Ugly guy ran by me after being hit by the 3d pyro crit. Judge his ass with the right one and blammo, back on the top of threat"

4 Horsemen would be a smaller issue, run in, target, and judge, run away, done.
_________________

Armory link in Signature Image.
Chunes
Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:45 pm
/agreed.

Make it inturrupt spellcasting at the same time.

call it:

Judgement of Justice.
Kayoto
Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm
I'd rather not have a taunt incorporated into something that's a staple of our regular threat rotation. :/
_________________
Splug
Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:00 pm
I think the implication was to stick it on a seperate judgement (such as justice, which currently provides a null debuff for pve scenarios), meaning that while there would be a lockout issue due to already using judgement as a threat builder, you'd be able to use judgement of wisdom or light for threat/damage, and judgement of justice if you wanted a taunt.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
fuzzygeek
Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:46 pm
Adding it to JoJ wouldn't be ideal, but it'd be better than what we have now.

Which is to say, nothing.

Yes, having it on a core ability is kind of limiting, but it's not like other classes don't have the same problem (e.g., earthshock).
_________________
Macawber
Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 pm
I also don't like adding a taunt to a judgment. Most of the time you'll want to judge as often as you can fit it into your rotation, both for the threat and for the debuff. On bosses where you can expect you have to taunt, I wouldn't want to be forced not to judge at all, just to make sure it's on cooldown. In cases where you weren't expecting to have to taunt, you'll likely have to wait a few seconds because judgment will be on cooldown.

I also don't think we need another 'special' taunt, since we already have righteous defense. All tanks should get the basic single target taunt, plus one special taunt for their class (death grip, challenging shout/roar). I don't think paladins should be any different in this regard: give me a regular taunt + righteous defense and I'll be happy. If the cooldown on RD needs to be increased for balancing, that's fine (I believe they did that when death knights got a regular taunt).
Consecrator
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:26 am
Or you can just taunt them and they will come to you
_________________
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
ziggyunderslashone
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:30 am
I think the point is that while we probably need a single target taunt, due to the fact that we already have a taunt thats workable (in some cases superior) for 95% of the game, anything additional we get to it needs some form of downside. Blowing an 8-10 second cooldown would fit that bill perfectly. It's not something you'd want to use commonly, but when needed its available.
Consecrator
Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 am
So hes saying that we should have a second taunt? I understood it as to take the place of our current taunt. If youre asking for a second taunt then its even worse. If we get a second taunt, then obv with the way things are now (Tank unity) druids and warriors would also need another taunt for muti targets. I like the triple taunt because it's one of the few things we have that are different. everyone complains that we are to alike now and then they want to take away one more of our unique abilities. Shame on you good sir. Shame on you all!

p.s - the ! was only for effect, im not really mad.
_________________
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.