Skip to content
Maintankadin

[PTR] BT and tanking sittuation for 3.0

Sartor
Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:17 am

[PTR] BT and tanking sittuation for 3.0

Intro

So yesterday I was in BT on the PTR to test the paladin in real raid tanking environment.

The only mod I had was Diamond Threat Meter. As it seems for now it does not detect the HoS buff... or just the overnuking mages cant stop it.


Build I was running with was the following.

  • Does not include improved Hand of Freedom/Protection (Guardian's Favor)
  • Does not include BoK Laughing
  • Includes talents for max survivability such as Judgements of the Just (Thunder Clap), Deflection, Imp Devotion Aura (includes 6% increased raid healing), Toughness, Guarded by the Light.
  • Includes all aggro generating tools such as Hammer of the Righteous, Imp Judgments, 1H weapon spec, Shield of the Templar, Reckoning.


Raid setup

Tanks: 2 Paladins (me and 1 undergeared - badge/kara gear), T6 geared warrior.
Healers: 6-7 druids and 2 shamans.
DPS: Retr paladins (omfg 7!!!1111), 2 nerflocks, 2 mages and 1 rogue (T6 gear + Warglaives).

From time to time we have been just 20 people for some bosses but we managed to rape em.

Bosses we raped:

  • Nubbjenus
  • Suppremus
  • Shade of Akama


We had a few tries Teron Gayfiend, but since it is a retard check we got raped badly a few times and I decided to have some sleep.

Blizzard Implemented Threat Meter

I found it very useful. On the Scrolling Combat Text, it shows you the aggro for each mob, and in addition warns you if you are losing aggro to it, or if it has changed targets and to who.

When you press V to see mob's health it shows over the mob's health bar a glow - red (the mob is attracted at 100% at you - damn, I was so sexy yesterday), orange (you are starting to loose aggro), no glow (too low on threat for that mob).

In addition, overnukers/other tanks high on threat are highlighted with a red glow over their frame in the party frame. In the raid frames, they are indicated by a red dot near their name. This helped me a lot to find better the overnuker and prevent in advance pulling aggro from me with Hand of Salvation - just one mage was keeping me on my heels with his 4.3 TPS towards mine 4.2 TPS (he ended the night with 3.6k DPS on damage meters tho).

Other

Personally, I found the paladin tanking much more interactive - I was spamming all threat buttons and I had to calculate my Global Cooldowns.

I had saved my a$$ a few times with Divine Protection (Shield Wall), and block value trinkets. In one of the cases, I was on Teron Gayfiend who usually was hitting me for 4-5k - after the buffs he was hitting me for 400-800 damage (for 12 seconds that was enough to remind my healers I need to be healed sometimes - damn slackers).

LoH is really nice as well since no longer drains mana, and it is on 20 mins CD. I had a crit of 53k once I pulled the entire room on Teron's part of the instance - the one just after the stairs.

So.... discuss?? Smile
_________________
Sartor
Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 am
@ Psiven: Yes, I made sure to be on tank mode enabled.

@Velgarn: Well, paladins seemed to be quite competative at DPS.

DPS charts (for Suppremus) end like:


  1. The overnuking mage: 3.6k DPS
  2. The other mage: 2.7k DPS
  3. Retr paladin (Season2+Brut Glad weapon) - 1.6k DPS
  4. The T6+Warglaves rogue - 1.5k DPS


For the rest of the bosses were almost the same - just for Akama a warlock was first on DPS.
_________________
Worldie
Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:08 am
Teron hitting for only 4k is strange to me, normal melee on me (full t6 and such) is in the order of 7k...
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Omatre
Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 am
OMG TREES! Pew pew Tree's, not healer Tree's.

So many boomkins, rofl.

I guess its safe to say all the resto druids are tired of pillar humpin, they wanna blow some crap up too.
_________________