Skip to content
Maintankadin

Wrath, Reckoning and Coffee

Marsalla
Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:25 am

Wrath, Reckoning and Coffee

Inc. Wall!

So far for Wrath I have three concerns: our avoidance relative to the other tanks, our HP relative to the other tanks, and Reckoning. The relative tank stats are just so that we’re worth our raid spot in comparison to another class in the same gear and at the same skill level. I’m pretty confident that Blizzard intends to keep us balanced, though, so I’m not TOO worried yet (although the silence about this last patch is a little unnerving).

The big concern I have is reckoning. I love reckoning, and I always have. I even like the way it procs-the more damage we take, the higher our procs go. To me, this has been a strength rather than a reverse-scaling weakness because it increases our threat vs. caster mobs who can otherwise present a threat weakness (hai2u holy shield). I’m well aware that I tend to place more faith in reckoning than many, but it’s always worked well for me in practice.

The issue I have now is really very simple: Reckoning sucks with SoV. I waited to get a little testing done with the seal changes, and with HotA (Hammer of the Awesome), and since I can’t post on the beta forums, I thought I’d bring my suggestion over here for a little discussion. As a base for discussion, I’m going to assume that Blizzard wants us to keep reasonable auto-attack DPS, but intends for our threat to stay in holy damage (yes I know there’s other suggestions about this but I really don’t think Blizzard is going to buff white damage threat for us). I’m also going to work under the assumption that Blizzard intends to balance our HP/avoidance and try to leave our trees in the same general shape they’re in now as far as point distribution.

All of this means that reckoning will stay about where it is, for about as many points as it is on current beta/PTR. All of this also means that SoV and HotA are going to be primary tools post patch and pre-Wrath. So now we need to have reckoning work with reasonable white damage while leaving our primary threat as holy, and it needs to work with a 3-point investment and give a significant return should we work 5 points in.

Suggestion:
Reckoning 1/5

Gives you a 2% chance after being hit by any damaging attack that the next 4 weapon swings within 8 sec will deal an additional (.04*AP+.04SPH)+1 holy damage.

Note: This would also keep the 5-point change for full-blocks, allowing a noticeable change to the talent at 5 points.

Reckoning 5/5
Gives you a 10% chance after blocking or being hit by any damaging attack that the next 4 weapon swings within 8 sec will deal an additional (.04*AP+.04SPH)+1 holy damage.

Basically, change reckoning from extra white swings to holy bolts. I’ve seen this suggested before, but particularly with the new changes I think that this merits a look. For the holy bolt I of course just used consecration’s coefficients, which should put it in line with our new scaling. This could be tweaked, etc. but I think this is at least a good place to start.

Wish me luck on Twins (or at least on people running conflag out of our healers), and thanks in advance for the replies! Very Happy

Oh, and an armory link for reference since I don’t have a sig setup. Razz http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Icecrown&n=Marsalla

TLDR: I <3 Reckoning. Change it to fire extra holy damage on the next 4 swings, k?

COFFEE!

P.S.: Shout-out to Arcand and all of Scarlet Crusade
_________________
No rest. No mercy. No matter what.
Valentear
Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 am
and would these holy attacks proc our seal damage as well?
_________________
Agravane
Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:07 am
I can dig it too.

I know I leveled to 70 with Reckoning and it was great for AoE farming in places like The Heap, but once I started really tanking and was made aware that I could get wtfpwnd by a parried Reckoning swing (and did...Prince got me good one night), I dropped it like a hot potato.

This would make me take it up again since it wouldn't proc into additional swings, but just adding damage to your next four normal swings.

Yes, I can dig this.
moduspwnens
Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 am
Meh, it's alright, but I'm not a fan for the same reason I'm not a fan of RF "converting" white damage to holy damage:

We already have something that deals holy damage as we swing. It's SoR. I'd rather see a fix that's something different.
_________________
PLEASE HELP ME TEST THIS: PHP WoW Tanking Simulator
Neganur
Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm
SoR with a slow weapon (Heartless for example) is fairly high and gets applied to all three targets your HotR hits.
A good pulling seal I'd say.
There's also moments where I don't want a DoT on mobs, since I can't conrol which mobs get SoV applied with HotR.

At the moment I prefer using the brutalizer with potency enchant for significantly higher HotR damage compared to Tempest of Chaos with spellpower enchant.
The SoR damage difference is around 40 damage lower than the ToC while the SoV difference is minimal (1stack: 62 vs. 66, 5stack: 310 vs 331).

(not specced Seals of the Pure though. Mind those numbers are lvl 70 wearing typical t6 gear.)

I think reckoning still has a niche if you gear towards it and use SoR, it's not that much worse than SoV. Even SoV is not a waste when reckoning procs, as you can tab through mobs to quickly put a couple of stacks on another target.
SoV is more a MT seal thank SoR in my opinion.

While using the Brutalizer I noticed HotR damage gaining quite a boost from BoM.
I need to make a good equation to compare where and when spellpower really dominates.
At the moment I have a feeling that the attackpower part (mainly from STR) of those abilities will play a significant role with later gear (lvl 80).
_________________
Marsalla
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:57 am
A single bump before I let it go Razz
I'd really like to see some other opinions on Reckoning (either it's viability or other suggestions to make it more viable) based on the new talents as we have them.
If you have something to add, or just an opinion to toss out, I'd like to give Reckoning a little more discussion.

Also, not NEARLY enough talk of coffee!
Must go and drink a pot of Yuban now.
_________________
No rest. No mercy. No matter what.