Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mitigation Comparisons – 4 tanks

ziggyunderslashone
Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 am
Have you done (or seen perhaps) any work on deathknight threat?

I was adding to the pally/warrior threat comparison I did. I went on beta and worked out all the bear innate threats and coeffs etc. Much to my surprise, their single target threat was rather low, when I've heard beta reports that’s its really good.

However, I am assuming that druids are wearing what I'd define as "bear gear". Higher stamina leather, with tank neck/rings/cloak/trinkets/enchants/weapon. Doing this it would appear (fallibility aside!) they're a) too strong in mitigation and b) weaker in threat (relatively). It occurred to me that if they were in "cat gear" or more accurately, rogue gear, it would actively balance both areas. While they have the option of all that mitigation, they risk falling below the now expected insurmountable threat line.

It's possible I'm just wrong, missed a decimal place somewhere, but it makes sense in both sets of theory that they’re balanced around, and expected to wear dps gear while tanking.

Looking at the frost DK numbers above, I think we'd agree that their avoidance mitigation is too high comparatively, but again, this deals with mitigation in isolation. The spec assumes mid blood rather than deep frost, sacrificing threat for survival. Perhaps DKs are expected to spec for damage in the same way druids may be gearing for it.
Zironic
Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 am
If I've understood blizzard correctly there is no such thing as "tanking" leather anymore. This is part of their effort of making more people want the pieces of loot that drop.
Deathwing
Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:52 am
I was using non-AC rings on purpose, Zironic, to prove a point on how bad the itemization can be between tiers.
Zironic
Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:57 am
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40074
is much more inline with your 10 man ring then the one you used, but mitigationwise i'm afraid it's more of a sidegrade then an upgrade. Then again you're not actually meant to progress to 25 man from 10 man anymore, I think we have to wait for the 2nd tier of raiding to be released to get a good item to compare against.
Sheherezade
Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 am
DKs will not be using dps gear for tanking, we still need the dodge/parry/and most important off all: the +def!
_________________
Deathknight tank in the making...maybe...(damn, pallytanking is FUN post patch!) Very Happy
ziggyunderslashone
Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:00 am
Having Played around with DK threat for a while, and indeed applying common sense its safe to say you are expected to be speccing with threat as a concern.

So, veteran of the third war is out of the frostdk spec, and I've included here a bear in the previous "tank gear", high ilevel leather and tank accessories, alongside a bear in "cat gear", essentially full rogue kit.



Now personally I would use this adaptability to tailor a druid kit really finely, meaning I'd expect a real druids results to fall somewhere between the two. In my opinion at least, that would place them far more in line with the other tanks.

Additionally frost dks, while still packing crazy avoidance, are somewhat behind in what I always feel is the more important stat of raw survival. Factor in that much of that avoidance is coming from on use abilities and I think we have four tanks that are potentially equal yet definitely different.

edit: I should note, the paladin figures assume 3% sott
Sëryph
Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:08 pm
Huge Fix with DR on avoidance and some other minor fixes.

Excel 2007

Open office Calc
_________________
Seryph 70 Palladin
Aablaine 70 Druid
Tantlin Soon To Be Death Knight