Skip to content
Maintankadin

WotLK Beta Testing Thread

Dorvan
Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:54 am
The seal twisting being referred to there is different from what we've been calling twisting when it come to SoR/SoV. The SoB/SoC twisting involves (roughly, I'm not sure of the exact details) switching seals right when you swing so that a single swing procs both SoC and SoB. The SoR/SoV twisting doesn't try to make both seals proc on a single swing, but rather tries to maintain a 5 stack of SoV by hitting with SoV at least once every 18 seconds while running SoR as much as possible in between.
_________________
Fridmarr
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm
So I was doing some testing with Hammer of Righteousness. This does do double damage crits for sure. However, I don't think it is affected by AP and I can't really figure out how it's working.

I was using the Hammer of Judgement which has a weapon damage range of 19-129. I was wearing my ret gear, so my character sheet weapon damage was 215-300 (yes I have 1 hand spec). I have a few hundred spell damage from the Stamina to SD talent. My hits ranged from 60-192 damage. I don't understand that range at all. Anyone have any ideas? I had no buffs other than might, which I kept up the whole time.

EDIT: Could that be unadjusted weapon damage, but using some sort of normalized swing time that's fairly slow?
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Dorvan
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm
The best way of testing scaling is to test things with 2 sets of gear which differ just by the stat that you're interested in testing.....don't worry about the base damage numbers for now. Basically, try logging about 40-50 hits unbuffed and 40-50 hits with BoM and compare the difference. Using a weapon with a smaller damage range would be helpful too, something like

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=2131

Most likely the AP contribution is normalized, but if you wanted to check that you could grab 2 weapons with the same DPS but different speeds, like:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=2488
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=768
_________________
Dorvan
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:53 pm
Ok, so based on that data it looks like HotR has an AP coefficient of about 8.5%. Another important thing to test though is whether HotR is mitigated by armor, as that would affect the results.
_________________
Splug
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm
That's... odd. Attack speed normalization should put AP contributions to anything labelled as an "instant attack" at 2.4/14 (roughly 17.1%) for non-dagger one-handed weapons. Armor might be an explaination, but armor being applied to holy damage is fairly suprising. Do you have any armor penetration gear you could swap in, to see if it makes a difference?

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Mortehl
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm
As an FYI, I'm in. Downloading my client currently and will be working on preparing a list of test experiments some time in the next 24 hours or so.
_________________

BLIZZARD I LOVE YOU <3 The new prot stuff is AWESOME Very Happy

(Please increase the damage redux on Imp RF and we're complete)
Mortehl
Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:58 am
Mortehl is going to be on Northrend (Alliance side) in about 15 minutes at 8AM -5 GMT (EST). Is anyone online at the moment so we can start knocking some stuff off the questions to be answered list? I'm specced ret atm so we can answer the judgement interaction questions.
_________________

BLIZZARD I LOVE YOU <3 The new prot stuff is AWESOME Very Happy

(Please increase the damage redux on Imp RF and we're complete)