Skip to content
Maintankadin

"Tanking in Wrath of the Lich King" -- blue post

caboom
Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:33 am
@Holyfuri : i am the pesimistic guy and ur the optimistic one on the matter Razz ... dunno why tho i am not so pesimistic usually.

@Ulushnar : Beeing the fact every guild on my server doesn't want me because i am undergeared or because they have the only 1 prot pally they think they need, with warriors and druids on the other tank spots, you will understand that beeing where i am is not a problem of choice. Razz
And yes i am aware paladins can tank, i do so everyday. xD
_________________
Soltyr
Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:32 am
Personally, I'm not so worried regarding the tanking status of a paladin, I think it was "ok" in TBC and it looks awesome in WotLK. Indeed I'm quite surprised of the new tanking tools just now in beta, someone also unexpected. So I see no doubt about paladin as MT on par with the other three tanks.

If something let me a bit confused now is the off-role of a prot paladin.
Since TBC I was not satisfied of the status: be a MT or be a Cheerleader.
It has been quite annoying sometime to work in synergy with a prot war, while the were not so many free choices in exchanging role or a a very funny playstyle due the my oom.

Now it seems something is starting to be addresed. Though I've not seen any official response by blizzard, regarding the paladin. To be clear. War/Druid/DK are for their nature focused in a off-dps role. Paladin is the only one with two options, healing or dps (I'm fine with both, don't get me wrong), but I don't like if this will lead to a jack of all trade and master of none, even for an off-role.
_________________
Soltyr
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 am
As PsiVen said, dissuading to use a 2h in prot tree doesn't look so clear and we have not DW option like warriors do. So our active prot ability, while indeed they cost a lot of mana, they do not scale so much with the usual melee stats, e.g. armor reduction or haste, maybe even crit provides poor scaling, dunno. And not all of them are affected by same stats. If I'm not wrong ShoR does scale with str but not with raw AP.

In the other hand, we have a talent improving our healing in an odd way: more SP by using the tank gear or more amount healed by using "heavy" crit gear. I think we need to spend at least 15 point in holy too for reasonable scaling and efficiency, assuming a FoL spammer will be till worth with all that AoE healing around.
_________________
Mortehl
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:54 am
Shotr scales with strength, Hotr scales with AP. Both benefit from critical. We're fine without dual wield in wrath.
_________________

BLIZZARD I LOVE YOU <3 The new prot stuff is AWESOME Very Happy

(Please increase the damage redux on Imp RF and we're complete)
Curious
Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 am
I hadn't really thought about what I would be doing when not tanking and just assumed I would be tanking all the time, as we should now be fully qualified MT's. Currently only gimmick fights are the only fights I dont get to tank, that would be only Archimonde only off the top of my head.

It would be great to have some non-tanking synergy or role, and I think the idea will be off-healing is what we will be doing. Mana is of course the issue, because in healing gear + sta->spell power conversion, our crit and +healing should be reasonable. I believe the mana costs on spells are getting a second look as we speak, so it would be interesting to see how that pans out.

An added effect to (I forget its name) that reduces the cost of consecrate could include a reduction in cost of FoL to help us in this regard?