Skip to content
Maintankadin

Paladin Glyphs

Nalyn
Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:57 pm
I'm just looking at the glyphs a thinking...

'Aww crap, so much for respec'ing ret to go pvp/arena for the weekend.'

It's very clear you're gonna want a completely different set of glyphs for pve versuses pvp, at least for max effectiveness. As well as spec versuses spec (which was pretty much a given).

Guess my pally DE bot may end up being the second class I level, come expansion time, /sigh
Arjuna
Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:46 am
remember that this isn't all the glyphs, check out the number of glyphs for our hybrid friends the druids Smile
_________________
EX-TER-MINATE!!!

WTB BETA KEY!!!
Snake-Aes
Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:06 am
300~ tps. My top tps goes around 1200 on a typical mob, so 25%
Less on dual wielders where HS and the couple parries up it to 1600
_________________


Spankadin in development.
.'>';
sherck
Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:04 am
I have to admit, I am fairly disappointed by seeing this list.

When information on Inscription first came out, I was fairly excited by the chance to actually "augument" a spell to fit a playstyle. Not change the mechanics of the spell all together. I was hoping that the Inscriptions were change abilities that you could throw on any spell to change it's effect.

Sort of like Enchanting. On a specific slot, I start low level enchanting with low level enchants, i.e. + 1 Stat on a slot. As I level my enchanting, my enchant on that slot for that effect becomes more powerful, + 1 Stam, + 3 Stam, + 5 Stam, etc.

I had hoped Inscription would be like that. Example,

Glyph of Minor Casting Swiftness = - 0.1 cast time to a spell.
Glyph of Lesser Casting Swiftness = - 0.2 cast time to a spell.
Glyph of Casting Swiftness = -0.3 cast time to a spell
Glyph of Casting Superior Swiftness = - 0.4 cast time to a spell
Glyph of Major Casting Swiftness = - 0.5 cast time to a spell.

Same with + Damage, + Crit, + Duration, - Cool Down, etc.

Then, you go buy your Inscription scroll at the AH and apply it to the spell OF YOUR CHOICE!!! I want a faster Holy Light? Check. I want a Consecrate that does more damage? Check. I want a Hammer of Wrath that has a higher chance to crit? Check.

I wanted a profession that did not change the mechanics of the spell but rather changed to effects of the spells but kept the mechanics the same.

But, alas, it appears I am not getting that.

Take for example the Glyph for Flash of Light. Decreases the amount healed immediately by 1/2 but then adds an HoT for 200% of the initial amount healed. Take for example a normal FoL which heals an average of 1000 health. Now it will only heal 500 initially but then will heal for 1000 HoT over xx seconds.

+ 50% heal for a Gylph? Shiny but then it also COMPLETELY CHANGES HOW I USE THE SPELL AS A HOLY PALADIN!!!!

No more FoL spam because it is my most efficient spell.

Number one, with a 1.5 second cast time, it will overwrite my HoT effect from the previous FoL which then loses its effectiveness (unless it stacks instead of overwrites which there is NO WAY Blizzard is doing that).

Number two, the only reason I spam FoL is because it does enought to keep up health until such time as I HAVE to throw on a HL to jump the health back up. In it's current form, it can keep up with the damage input. Unless the HoT is VERY short (4 seconds or less), AND does not overwrite every 1.5 seconds, then there is no way that FoL will deliver a healing throughput large enough to use as your main heal.

So, if I get this glyph as currently written without any knowledge of what else I get, as a Holy Pally, I have to completely change my healing mechanics in order to maximize the benefit of playing with it. I have to become a Holy Light main healer with using FoL to top off the other party/raid members when they take splash damage.

Hmmm....some healing class already does that....Priest's perhaps? HoT and Flash Heal on party members with Greater Heal reserved for the tank?

I don't think that is what Glyphs should do. They should increase effects, not change them.

The one for Seal of Light / Seal of Wisdom is good and useful. The Holy Light one is situtional where you have to have a bunch of melee in range to have an effect (great in raids; only so-so in 5 man, useless while soloing).

I just don't think that changing the mechanics of our most effective healing spell which is spammed should be the goal of Inscription.

Anyway, /rant off.


Cheers,
_________________
------
Thad, Current Toon = Blood Elf Pally Bloodprince on Altar of Storms
Snake-Aes
Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 am
Just one thing about your FoL example

Endgame doesn't use FoL.
_________________


Spankadin in development.
.'>';
Thanehand
Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:34 am
It would be cool to augment each of your spells, but I would guess it would not be practical.
For 1, the sever has to store all the information for every player about every inscription they've applied, and then carry that information back and forth to the clients. I'd imagine that is at least as much/space bandwidth as the enchanting system, and probably a lot more.

I just can't see it being practical within the limitations of the environment, no matter how much we'd like it (I know I would Smile )

I think the way they've done it is an interesting addition, and well thought out. I reserve the right to edit that statement, however, once I've played with it
_________________
KysenMurrin
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:04 am
I must admit I also would have preferred to either have more options on how these apply, or for the effects be more generalised than they are. It's still an interesting system, though, and will have its uses as it is.
_________________
PsiVen
Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:57 am
I understand why they didn't do it the way that they sort of suggested that they would, and why they were wary of talking about it much before. It certainly would be a huge, possibly insurmountable balance issue to say globally, okay, you can put this effect on anything by X or even X%, just pick one.

Knockbacks in particular are a killer. You simply cannot allow people to put a knockback on whatever they want; you can restrict it to cooldowns but then suddenly it's useless for classes that don't have them. You can make it PUT a cooldown on the spell it affects but then what spell do you sacrifice to gain a knockback ability?

It's all a balancing nightmare. This glyph system they're putting in looks similar to what they wanted Relics to be, only stronger. I like it, even if I think the +1yd to Consecration one is a hilarious demonstration of failure to understand what paladins want.
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 70 Tankadin (unretired)
Rival Psivenia, 70 Warriorlol
Psivenne, 60 Bare

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest