Skip to content
Maintankadin

A Tankadin's Guide to Healing Gear

Dorvan
Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 pm

A Tankadin's Guide to Healing Gear

I just updated this old guide of mine, so I thought I'd post in here for comments and feedback. Just because we're Prot doesn't mean that we can't enjot a little healing once in a while, or that our healing buttons go away:

So you're a Tankadin...you've been gearing yourself up as a Tank, you've got your (0/43/10 + Cool tanking build, and you've been running heroics to get your tanking Libram. Howver, from time to time you're asked to step back and heal on some boss in Karazhan, or perhaps you just want to be a solid healer for 5 mans and even the occasional heroic (yes, this is possible for at least some heroics!). How do you gear yourself?

Gearing for healing as a Tankadin differs significantly from doing so as Holy for one simple reason: Illumination. Holy gets 60% mana return on crit heals, we do not. As a result, spell crit should be completely ignored when gearing yourself for healing. Without the benefit of free heals, crit heals are expensive in terms of itemization to gear for, and provide you their extra healing in unpredictable ways, so that the benefit is often lost to overhealing. As such, you should think of spell crit for your healing gear in about the same way as you consider strength or mp5 on your tanking gear.

When gearing yourself for healing, my main piece of advice is: don't get hung up on armor class. Plate is great, and if you have a solid plate healing piece go for it, but as a prot pally you don't have the luxury of giving up healing power just so you can feel better about the sturdiness of your armor. There aren't a ton of plate healing pieces out there, and when you throw out those with spell crit, the options are even narrower.

In terms of itemization itself, I'd suggest the following priority:

mp/5
+heal
int
stam

Out biggest weakness compared to a Holy Pally is our longevity, and without free crit heals we rely exclusively on mp5 for our in combat regen. Pick it up wherever you can, including enchants (6 mp/5 to chest is very cheap, as a start).

I've got some selected slot hightlights below, but for a more comprehensive picture I've got a wowhead search that summarizes the healing gear available to us. The good news is that most slots have some piece of plate for us pre-raid (there aren't gloves or belts until Kara, and not suprisingly for BC, there are no wrists at all). There are of course pieces outside of this list, but these pieces focus on the stats I've listed, and are thus the best bang for your buck in terms of itemization points:

Pre-Kara/Kara gear:

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter=qu=3:4;minle=95;maxle=127;ub=2;cr=119:49:24;crs=1:3:3;crv=0:0:0

Post-Kara gear:

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter=qu=3:4;minle=128;ub=2;cr=119:49:24;crs=1:3:3;crv=0:0:0#0+2+1

Remember, no matter what your focus a good Paladin should have the gear to take on any role, whether tanking, healing, or dps. Keep up the work work, Tankadins!

/salute
Dorvan
Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 pm
Ok, in this post I'm going to try to give a rundown of gear recommendations for pre-heroic, heroic, and Karazhan gear levels. It's not meant to be comprehensive (use wowhead for that), but just a sampling of things to aim for. For the Karazhan pieces, I'd recommend being sensitive to the needs of dedicated healers in your group, but that's an issue for your guild:

Head:

pre-Heroic:
Mask of Penance: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27790
An excellent piece of healing gear for a Prot Pally, this Steamvaults drop is one of two of the purple judgment pieces that's available in non-heroic instances.

Heroic:
Helm of the Steadfast Champion: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32084
Introduced in 2.1, this badge reward is excellent, but the 50 badges will likely be prohibitively expensive for a Prot Pally with other things to by (the tanking helm, for instance Wink ).

Recommended enchant: 35 +heal and 7 mp/5, Honor Hold/Thrallmar revered

Neck:

pre-Heroic:
Setthekk Oracle's Focus: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29334
This Sethekk Halls quest reward is a excellent healing piece. I'd strongly recommend considering taking this over the tanking neck, which will quickly be replaced by either Natasha's Battle Chain or even better the Strength of the Untamed.

Shoulder:

pre-Heroic:
Vestia's Pauldrons of Inner Grace: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28250
They're cloth and horrible pink, but these are the best pre-heroic healing shoulders you'll find

Heroic:
Justice Bearer's Pauldrons: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27539
Another solid piece of purple judgment

Kara:
Dragon-Quake Shoulderguards: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28631
pre-2.1 these weren't enough of an upgrade to justify the armor loss, but with the Kara epic buffs these are now worth taking.

Recommended enchant: the best Aldor or Scyer healing enchant you have access to.

Back:

pre-Heroic:
Mantle of Vivification (Vicar's Cloak for horde): http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25805
A very nice balance of stats for healing, and easily attainable as a Shattered Halls quest reward. For an alternative that provides stamina, try http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27789 from Steamvaults.

Heroic:
Bishop's Cloak: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29375
Available from tokens, a modest upgrade from tyhe pre-heroic options. You should certainly be getting your tanking libram first!

Kara:
Red Riding Hood's Cloak: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28582
Stainless Cloak of the pure Hearted: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28765


Chest:

pre-Heroic:
Breastplate of Many Graces: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27897
A great chestpiece from the 3rd boss of Shadow Lab that will last you for quite a while. The other purple judgment piece available outside heroics.

Kara:
Breastplate of the Lightbinder: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28662

Recommended enchant: +6 mp/5

Wrists:

pre-Heroic:
Primal Surge Bracers: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28194
Bracers of all kinds are lacking in BC, and healing bracers are no exception. This mail wrists from Black Morass are a decent option.

Kara:
Whirlwind Bracers: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28503
Although Maiden drops a pair of plate healing bracers, these really are better for a Prot Pally since they don;t put stats into spell crit.

Recommended enchant: +6 mp/5

Hands:

pre-Heroic:
Fathomheart Gauntlets: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27806
Same old refrain by now, the Shaman piece is our best option at this progression level.

Kara:
Gauntlets of Renewed Hope: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28505

Recommended enchant: +35 healing

Waist:
Options are very limited here pre-Kara, so you may well end up wearing something with some spirit or spell cirt here

Kara:
Girdle of Truth: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28733

Legs:

pre-Heroic:
Consortium Plated Legguards: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29342
In all likelihood you will be wearing these for a very long time. I'm unable to recommend the Starcaller's Plated Legguards because as a Prot Pally you should really be taking Dabiri's Enigma.

Recommended enchant: Runic Spellthread (tailoring) 46 +heal / 15 stamina

Feet:

pre-Heroic:
Jeweled Boots of Sanctification: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27525
They're cloth, but they're also a good balance of the stats we need.

Heroic:
Boots of the Watchful Heart: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28221
From Heroic Hillsbrad, which I hear is one of the more difficult heroics. Consider the mail version from heroic Slave Pens as an alternative.

Recommended enchant: Vitality (4 mp/5 + 4 hp/5)
Lore
Sun May 20, 2007 5:07 pm
Very nice guide! =)

One thing I'd add (though I know healing strategy wasn't really part of your focus): Seal of Wisdom. I find, as a Prot paladin, I'm a bit more resilient in melee range, so I run in, put SoW up, and get some swings in between heals. It goes a long way towards making up for the lack of Illumination.
_________________
Station wagons are my favorite things.
Thels
Sun May 20, 2007 11:53 pm
Same here. Since I'm the only Paladin with Benediction, and since I'm the crappiest healing Paladin, and since I gotta keep Sanctity on the MT, I'm usually the one putting JoW on the boss. Sometimes it's effective enough to run JoW and SoW at the same time, depending on how much time I spend healing.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Honorshammer
Mon May 21, 2007 6:04 am
pre-Heroic:
Setthekk Oracle's Focus: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29334
This Sethekk Halls quest reward is a excellent healing piece. I'd strongly recommend considering taking this over the tanking neck, which will quickly be replaced by either Natasha's Battle Chain or even better the Strength of the Untamed.


So let's say some unsuspecting Tankadin took the Mark of The Ravenguard instead. Suggestion?
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Alixander
Mon May 21, 2007 7:13 am
Also, if you're like me, you want the Purple Judgement set for the looks, in addition to it's awesome healing stats. WoWInsider put up a list of the locations of all the pieces:

http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/04/04/not-quite-a-set-purple-judgement/

EDIT: Also, considering how much +healing a good weapon will give, it is imperative to get one. I recommend the Lightsworn Hammer from Kargath Bladefist for normal instances. Gives 12 STA, 11 INT, +227 Healing, and 8mana/5. Ideal for a healing paladin.
_________________


My Blog: http://kazielmmo.blogspot.com/
Rhastago
Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 am
Nice guide.
I see that our prefferences in healing gear as prot are kinda the same, rightfully so since that's the correct way to go Wink
_________________
Lorath
Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am
Nice writeup, here's a few of the items I use and are quite easy to get.

The Essence Focuser
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31304
1H mace, 227 healing and 11 mp5, world drop and on my server it's been selling at anything from 30 to 100g, cheaper every day it seems.

Crystal Pulse Shield
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31292
Shield obviously Wink
24 int, 35 healing and 6 mp5 is very nice. World drop which is plentiful on my server atleast. +12 int enchant ftw.

Heavenly Inspiration
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30293
Trinket, 10 mp5 and 238 healing for 15 secs on-use, only problem is you get it from the same Q that gives the Nexus-Guard imba block value shoulders. Choose carefully! Smile

Natasha's Guardian Cord
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31691
Neck, 10 int, 55 healing, 6 mp5. Nice package and the tank neck from the same Q is easily ignored.
_________________
Lorath, Human 70 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.thefallenorder.com
Mavrix
Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 pm

shields

Here are a couple of pre-raid healing shield options to also consider.


Non-heroic:

Silvermoon Crest Shield
drops in Shadow Labyrinth
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27910
3806 Armor
86 Block
+20 Intellect
Durability 100 / 100
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 23.
Equip: Restores 5 mana per 5 sec.

Heroic:

Stormshield of Renewal
Drops in Underbog Heroic
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27772
3806 Armor
86 Block
+12 Stamina
+16 Intellect
Durability 100 / 100
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases healing done by spells and effects by up to 57.
_________________
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Dragonzbane
Tue May 22, 2007 6:39 am
You should probably also include the mail healing belt that drops in KZ also as it's available pretty early and does not drop from an optional boss.
_________________
Lorath
Tue May 22, 2007 8:37 am
Forgot to mention the belt I'm using....

Khorium Belt
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23524
30 sta, 21 int, 25 heal/dmg and 8 mp5.
_________________
Lorath, Human 70 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.thefallenorder.com
corc
Tue May 29, 2007 3:53 pm
can we sticky this?

I find myself searching for item lists a lot, and this one is just as important as the others I think Very Happy

(feel free to delete this post if you do sticky the thread)
Serrot
Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 am
This post just saved me a ton of time researching gear. It rocks!!

Lore, you up for stickying 2 posts in one week? Laughing
_________________

Blog: Light's Defender