Skip to content
Maintankadin

How much does armor mean to you?

praxi
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:11 pm

How much does armor mean to you?

This is one question I have been asking myself alot lately, especially with the hard hitting bosses in Ulduar.

To narrow it down even more, what I would like to know what the community's thought on how much armor is equivalent to stamina. I. E. 240 armor = 24 stamina or something along those lines. I have searched in several places and never found an answer to this. If this is answered pls point me there, cause I have yet to find it.

And BTW if its located in a spreadsheet somewhere I may have missed it. I run a MAC and alot of the spreadsheets don't work as planned for me (no macros).

Here is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nesingwary&n=Praxidike

I run a high EH setup, but keep an eye on my avoidance. I am looking to stack armor, from upgrades and possilbly armor kits.

My planned upgrades are:
Saronite Plated Legs
Heart of Iron
T8 Chest
Furnace Stone
Signet of Winter
(btw the RNG HATES me. Have downed Ignis and Kologarn every week since Ulduar Release, and neither have dropped)

Let me know where to look or what you guys think.
Prax

P.S. Sorry for no item links. I am new to the board and unsure what code to use for wowhead
Ascendant
Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 am

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

over 8 XT kills and no shoulders for me. I feel the curse of the Wall of Terror returning to prevent me from completing my BiS list until the next tier of content is released.
praxi
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

Wow, over 200 views and no other replys lol. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on the Effective HP that armor provides?
Lythac
Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

agility+stam gem or dodge+stam gem

3rd post on 2nd page Theck explains how to work out how much sta=armor in time to live.

Glove Enchants, which one for Ulduar?

Both of these threads talk about how useful armor is for increasing EH.


Back to the first thread -

theckhd post in "agility+stam gem or dodge+stam gem" thread wrote:My armory says I have 27k armor and 34.8k unbuffed health; raid-buffed those should be around 28k and 44k respectively. Plugging those in:

11*(16.6+28)/(44)=11.2
So 1 Stamina is roughly equivalent to 11 armor in terms of TTL.


Bolded part for your question, although these values are for Theck's stats which are listed.
kanst
Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

I have a signet of the winter in my bag, how do you guys fit it into your gear without having to gem for lots of def. I have platinum band of aesir, and leviathan's coil, and if i replace aesir with winter ill be below def cap, i already have def enchants on cloak, shield, and chest and i really dont wanna have to socket def
Kelaan
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

I have (had?) some defense/stam or defense/dodge gems in some slots, but mainly it's just that I have some higher-than-average T7.5 gear on in some slots. No def trinket here, so know that it IS possible, even without the defense meta. Just consider what alternative pieces you have for any given slot, and see how you can swap them around, if necessary.
praxi
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:26 am

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

Thank you Lythac, I read that thread, and must have missed that page entirely.

ETA: Now that I go back and read that thread, I realize it was a different thread that I read about gems agi vs dodge. That was a great link and thank you again.
amh
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

praxi wrote:P.S. Sorry for no item links. I am new to the board and unsure what code to use for wowhead


Code: Select all
[url=http://www.wowhead.com/?item=192]Martin Thunder[/url]
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=192 - Martin Thunder


Either generally works fine. I think wowhead-tooltips are disabled at the moment, because wowhead has been very unstable lately, and it affected this site among others.
Zothor
Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

Personally, armor is my second favorite stat, behind only stamina. Because armor -never misses-. I have this argument all the time with some of our tanks who are dodge obsessed.... I don't trust the random number generator, and I don't like trusting it. It's not that you don't need avoidance, because you obviously do, but I've always felt that the long term benefits of fixed, guaranteed additional mitigation on all incoming physical damage, even if you're stunned, is enormous. The only thing I'd recommend, depending on your guild's tanking setup (my guild's DK tank is retarded and our druid has attendance issues, so i end up maintanking a lot of stuff that's not quite ideal), is to make sure to pick up spare pieces without the bonus armor for magic heavy fights where its use is greatly diminished.
kanst
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

Kelaan wrote:I have (had?) some defense/stam or defense/dodge gems in some slots, but mainly it's just that I have some higher-than-average T7.5 gear on in some slots. No def trinket here, so know that it IS possible, even without the defense meta. Just consider what alternative pieces you have for any given slot, and see how you can swap them around, if necessary.


I could prob squeeze it in if I changed my T8 legs to the Maly Legs, that would give me enough def to wear the signet but is it worth it as far as an overall upgrade goes
gibborim
Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:22 am

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

kanst wrote:I have a signet of the winter in my bag, how do you guys fit it into your gear without having to gem for lots of def. I have platinum band of aesir, and leviathan's coil, and if i replace aesir with winter ill be below def cap, i already have def enchants on cloak, shield, and chest and i really dont wanna have to socket def


Without an armory link I can't really help you directly. If you don't have it, Cloak of the Makers helps alot.

In general for SoW: As long as you only have to socket 16 or less def over 24 stam, your EH remains the same or increases and your avoidance numbers will climb.
kanst
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

gibborim wrote:
kanst wrote:I have a signet of the winter in my bag, how do you guys fit it into your gear without having to gem for lots of def. I have platinum band of aesir, and leviathan's coil, and if i replace aesir with winter ill be below def cap, i already have def enchants on cloak, shield, and chest and i really dont wanna have to socket def


Without an armory link I can't really help you directly. If you don't have it, Cloak of the Makers helps alot.

In general for SoW: As long as you only have to socket 16 or less def over 24 stam, your EH remains the same or increases and your avoidance numbers will climb.


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Gatgat

Im at 544 def with platinum band, signet is a 9 def decrease so I'd need to somehow come up with 5 extra def
Majiben
Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

You could do the following:

Head gem to def/stam
Bracer gem to 41 stam
41 stam gem in boots to def/stam
Shoulder enchant to PvP enchant.
Digren
Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

I. E. 240 armor = 24 stamina or something along those lines


It's about 240 armor = 20 stamina for me. Clearly the engineering armor enchant to gloves is better than the 18 stamina kit, but the 240 armor enchant versus the stamina kit is a toss up. On my back, where my Naxx cloak has a ton of added armor, I don't expect to replace it in my EH set until I get the BiS cloak, because all the others may have 5-10 more stamina but give up several hundred tasty armor.

Given your current stats, and assuming 100% physical damage incoming, the exact ratio could be determined (i.e. how much EH does one point of each add).
praxi
Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: How much does armor mean to you?

Thats about what it came out for me too Digren. The post that Lythac head the nail on the head on what I was looking for. As much searching as I did, I am surprised I never saw it.

I think here soon I will be swapping over to the Signet of Winter, and Putting the armor Kit on my gloves. I kinda agree with Zothor, armor is always there, not matter what is going on. I keep a balance of stats, but I lean towards armor whenever I can.