Skip to content
Maintankadin

Trinkets - advice appreciated.

Barathorn
Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 am

Trinkets - advice appreciated.

Hi all,

I am generally confident in the way I gear [fortunate considerating I am a Mod of a Gear Forum] and have Ulushnar TM Modular sets that I use. My general role is that of the OT/Add tank but on the occassions I MT I do have a query with trinkets. All of my sets keep me above 102.4% [when raid buffed - yes I know I listened to you lot and tried it, it gives a little more flexibility] so that is not an issue.

The 4 trinkets I use all the time are Lavantors Talisman, Alchemists Stone, Repelling Charge and Medal of 1st War [40 badges]. For MT I have pushed LT to the side. What I am having trouble with is when the Alchemists Stone is actually ready to be sat out. I just find it so good for every fight that it seems to be a must have. Obviously that leaves me 1 trinket space, so it is a straight up choice between a panic button and a more even spread of avoidance. I generally use the panic button and know that a replacement for this will come from Ignis for me. I am VERY aware that if my defence dips I will need to look at using the Repelling Charge and that and the Alchemists Stone seem like a lacklustre combo to me currently because while effective, it doesn't give me the confidence [perhaps falsely] that Alchemists Stone and Medal of 1st War gives me.

When do I feasibly need to consider losing the Alchemists Stone? Am I overvaluing the trinket? Or for Alchemists upto the end of T8 10 man content does it remain BiS?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Barathorn
Ulushnar
Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

I'm always in favor of a Stamina trinket/avoidance trinket combo, so I'd personally consider dropping the Alchemist Stone if/when you get the Royal Seal of King Llane from YS-10. The only other stamina trinket available to you is the Essence of Gossamer, but I wouldn't consider gaining 36 stamina worth the loss of 50 dodge, and the EoG proc's barely noticable for MTing.
Treck
Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:07 am

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

ID personally keep Alch stone a while longer.
Sta trinkets are great.
But, when it really comes down to things, on use effective trinkets are really really good.
Its not a shieldwall or last stand, but its ondemand boost of survivability.
Alch trinket is definately a really good blue trinket, and id pair it up with gossamer pre ulduar.
Between those 4 trinkets, id value the Alch trinket as no1 for MTing.
If its a boss you know gonna do a burst now and then, Repelling charge is cinda like another CD and its reliable.
Use: Dodge trinkets are ofc good when things go bad, all they really do is manipulate RNG to your favor.
If your OT/addtanking, Lavantorst is the trinket id put on first, but only if you know your only gonna tank small hitters.
Kelaan
Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

Wow, that was pretty solid advice.

Off-topic, is there a thread elsewhere discussing "Ulushnar (TM) Modular sets"? ;) I think I know what you mean, but I tend not to actually HAVE such sets implemented.
Barathorn
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

Kelaan wrote:Wow, that was pretty solid advice.

Off-topic, is there a thread elsewhere discussing "Ulushnar (TM) Modular sets"? ;) I think I know what you mean, but I tend not to actually HAVE such sets implemented.


I think it was something Ulu mentioned a year or so ago and most tanks do it anyway, I just attached a name to it so I wouldn't forget about it. I don't think there is a thread actually discussing the items you can use for it. It revolves around having a basic 'all bases covered' main tanking set with pieces you can swap in if the fight requires more stamina or more avoidance.

Hope that explains it a little better.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be using the AS and RC for most MT duties until Mr Ignis drops something for me and be subbing in LT or MotFW when required.

Barathorn
Halkale
Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

Kinda Reviving this old thread because my question is close to the same.

I have access to both the Alchemist's Stone and the Monarch Crab. Probably mis-gemmed as I just put both JC stam gems in it. In addition, I have Gossamer and I have enough emblems to pickup the Medal of the First War. The question is should I?

I also have the Seal of Pantheon, if that matters. I can stay above the defense min with both trinkets. I guess my question is where do the JC and Alchy trinkets slot? I looked around, even through the discussion thread on Petrius' guide, which by the way is awesome.
Barathorn
Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

I am now using the alchemists stone and the repelling charge as a basic gear set, I switch out the RC if I need a panic button and put in MotfW. I don't have the EoG but on a stam fight I would switch that in for the RC. I intend to swap in Ignis's Trinket for the RC once it drops for me.

MC and AS are a pretty solid combination but you might want to have the other trinkets just in case you need,

a/ another panic button
b/ more stamina [is 50 dodge worth less than 36 stam? I would stay with the dodge]

It is a tricky one until you get some Ulduar drops which are far superior. I would get MotfW just because by spending badges it allows you to invoke sod's law, and thus get the Furnace stone from Ignis.

Barathorn
Elsie
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Trinkets - advice appreciated.

For what it's worth, the answer to this is, as always: it depends.

On something like Iron Council Hard Mode and Hodir Hard Mode, you should usually use two stamina trinkets (usually, depends on order of tanks). If you're going through an encounter with phased "enrages" like General Vezax then trinkets with cool downs are preferable. If you're tanking something like razorscale or ignis, then it doesn't really matter what you use but I would go for more passive benefits or threat. If you're tanking something like XT001, you probably want to use dual stam trinkets. In general, right now dual stam trinkets are amazing for static tanking because healer mana is not an issue and reliable damage survivability is best. Couple with this that both of the best stamina trinkets have cooldowns and you're in good shape.

So basically, the idea is to use EH trinkets on hard bosses, trinkets with CDs on "period enrage" bosses, avoidance trinkets when dealing with healer mana issues, and


Most people know I'm usually a big proponent of regularly using a stam trinket and an avoidance trinket where you have an EH cool down and an avoidance CD (something like Repelling Charge with Monarch Crab). However, Hard Modes negate this set up. A typical raid right now has 4-6 healers. Traditional theorycraft involves gearing for a worst case scenario, and with a lot amount of healers and/or high possibility of tank swaps you simply can't use your maximum HP as the worst case scenario. For example, on Thorim you'll routinely be taunting between 75% and 100% HP. Your maximum HP is just not reliable.