Skip to content
Maintankadin

Proof God Exists

Dokidoki
Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Proof God Exists

from the newest patch notes

"# Block Value: The amount of bonus block value on all items has been doubled. This does not affect the base block value on shields or block value derived from strength.
# On-Use Block Value Items: All items and set bonuses that trigger temporary increases to block value have been modified. Instead of increasing their block value amount by 100% like other items, they have all had their effect durations doubled. This applies to Glyph of Deflection, Gnomeregan Autoblocker, Coren's Lucky Coin, Lavanthor's Talisman, Libram of Obstruction, Tome of the Lightbringer, Libram of the Sacred Shield, the tier 8 paladin Shield of Righteousness bonus, the tier 5 paladin Holy Shield bonus, and the tier 5 warrior Shield Block bonus."


Also frost presence is getting nerfed from 10% health to 6% stam, and icebound fortitude is going up to 2 minute cooldown. (bwhahahah eat it DKs, except Lev <3!)

Is block value officially a viable competitive stat now, or are you avoidance junkies still going to turn your nose up?
Invisusira
Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

Dokidoki wrote:Is block value officially a viable competitive stat now, or are you avoidance junkies still going to turn your nose up?


0% of incoming damage is still 0% of incoming damage.
Dokidoki
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

how is block value 0% of incoming damage? It's not like every fight is a magic fight.
Invisusira
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

/facepalm

When you dodge or parry an attack, you take 0% of incoming damage.
Dokidoki
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

except tanks aren't at 100% avoidance. Block capping happens even if you're trying to gear for nothing but avoidance too. You could probably pick up some block value at some point without hurting your avoidance that much due to DR.

I'm guessing this would entirely depend on your gear situation, but I'd love to see if there's a point that stacking BV would work better.
Invisusira
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

I believe you're missing the point.
Nyrin1
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

Invisusira wrote:I believe you're missing the point.



aye he is, but instead of blocking 2.5 - 3k from hit we will (tentetatively) block 5-6k. is what i think he was trying to put across

indeed block and parry trump block in every avoidence aspect, but i don't think i'll pass on the BR/BV gears anymore.

/sidenote
the 4pc bonus will be double time now =D
Dokidoki
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

I'm not missing the point, your argument is that avoidance r bettarz than block. It's not even really an argument, you're just stating it. I'm providing reasoning as to why block could potentially compete now, or at the least is in a better state.

Yeesh
Awyndel
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Proof God Exists

Really depends on to what point it is stackable, and how hard bosses hit. For some bosses a mixed set or a block set could become very interesting. Hard hitters though? dunno.
Zeianna
Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Proof God Exists

This is definitely better than what we've got now, but it isn't godly. I'm glad to see they're giving us block tanks a hand. (Secretly I'm happier that the DK tanks are getting a little nerf slap. I'm bitter, sue me.)

p.s. The first two posts of this thread made me lol.
Ulushnar
Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:01 am

Re: Proof God Exists

Nyrin1 wrote:
Invisusira wrote:I believe you're missing the point.



aye he is, but instead of blocking 2.5 - 3k from hit we will (tentetatively) block 5-6k. is what i think he was trying to put across


It won't be anything like that much, if you were blocking 2.5-3k, it'll probably end up in the 4.5-5k range. Remember, base shield BV and BV from strength isn't affected, and that'll easily account for about 1k of your current BV even in ulduar10 gear.
Dorvan
Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Proof God Exists

Dokidoki wrote:Is block value officially a viable competitive stat now, or are you avoidance junkies still going to turn your nose up?


Way to criticize people for not stacking BV right now because it currently sucks for boss tanking. Insulting people for making good decisions is a really great way to get them to listen to you.
Barathorn
Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:29 am

Re: Proof God Exists

I welcome this change. It is impossible for block to take the place of avoidance but at least it is no longer the unwanted basted child of the family and now has meaning beyond Naxx. 2-4k blocked hits are not shabby at all. of course I would rather not get hit in the first place, but this is a good move forward.

Plus, incoming big shield bash/slam/righteous whatevers! That helps our threat as well.

Looks good for us I think.

Also, keep the tone civil please everyone.

Barathorn
Petrus
Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:12 am

Re: Proof God Exists

Eh, the block value change does a lot for mitigation without doing much for threat from block value through ShoR.

Crosspost from what I wrote at EJ:
Ranjurm (aka Majiben) wrote:Shield tanks aren't running ulduar in full SBV gear so for progression the threat value of ShoR is decreased. Most ulduar progression tanks are running with as little BV gear as possible. For ShoR's value to remain unchanged on a 3.1 tank with 1,600 BV raid buffed they would have to have 370 BV currently straight from raw BV on gear which is excessive for them. Remember this BV doubling doesn't affect shields or BV from str.

This is true, and very unfortunate. In my block set (which includes about half of the Ulduar BV pieces and the rest Naxx or lower) I have 2283 BV, which will go up close to if not above 3000 in 3.2 when I get the last three Ulduar pieces I need (T8 shoulder, Auriaya chest, Badge legs).

I'm getting 764 from gear right now, so add another 5% from my meta to get 802 BV. Add to my current 2283 block value in block set and the total is 3085, or 35% more than what I have now. So ultimately if you're in full BV gear (full best in slot BV gear, at least theoretically) it should be around 5% more than what ShoR did before, a slight buff in damage but large buff in mitigation.

...I still don't see it being as useful on progression fights. If anything it makes the non-BR pieces with BV better than they were, though I'd probably rather have another stat instead of the BV taking up itemization.
Jasari
Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 am

Re: Proof God Exists

As I said in another thread, this changed missed the boat completely.

A flat increase on BV solves nothing, it still doesn't scale with incoming damage. So even if you buff it to the point that it mitigates a meaningful amount of Vezax-like damage, it'll trivialize other encounters.

Imagine doing Naxx 10m with 5k BV. Most of the bosses physical damage won't even touch you, Patcherk's hatefuls will be hitting you for like 1-2k. And 5k probably still isn't enough to make it worth stacking in 25man Ulduar.

The mechanic really needs to be completely redesigned and it sounds like that's what the long term plan is.