Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defense v. Dodge gem choice

repent
Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Defense v. Dodge gem choice

I have a question about gem choice. Currently I am sitting at the following (from wow armory):
Defense: 546
Dodge: 24.85%
Parry: 20.07%
Block: 17.12%

I have 3 gem slots that are red and three that are yellow. Currently I have 3 jewelers gems in the red slots and 3 enduring in the yellow slots. I am well above 102.4 (103.8 when I looked earlier today (might have had a single buff on me at the time) I am debating about switching out the enduring for the 8 dodge 12 stamina gems to preserve the item bonuses in the red slots (I would put 3 new Jewelers gems in the yellow slots instead.) Am I correct that dodge gems offer more total avoidance for pallies once they have reached the 102.4 mark or am I missing something here?
Gamingdevil
Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

You're wrong in the fact that it offers more avoidance than dodge. The dodge gem will offer more raw avoidance. However, due to diminishing returns, the difference gets pretty small when you have pretty high dodge (around 25%) and agility has the benefit of offering armour and crit as well.
repent
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

I guess my question could have been better stated.

Once you have reached the floor for blocking, does a dodge gem give you better avoidance then a defense gem (factoring in diminishing returns)?

I am questioning whether a defense gem which increases 3 things (Dodge, parry & block) is still the better choice when shield block rating is no longer valuable at all. (Shield block rating is totally useless to me at this point. I am gemming for single target hardmode boss fight and I am well past 102.4 unbuffed)
rokkon
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

repent wrote:I am questioning whether a defense gem which increases 3 things (Dodge, parry & block) is still the better choice when shield block rating is no longer valuable at all.


I think you know about as much as anyone here would tell you, dodge is more avoidance than defense and when you're over 102.4% the block that comes with defense is wasted. So the only question here is about diminishing returns. You could try http://chardev.org/ and swap those things out to see how it affects your stats. I do not know how accurate their DR calculations are.

If it was me, and it was very important that I got the absolute most out of it, I would simply buy both gems and see how they affect my stats. It would be quicker for me to farm the gold to do that than to work out the math :)
Serelynn
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

Remember to factor in raid buffs when looking at 102.4% - they can easily push you well above and that means some of the equipment or gems you have aren't ideal since extra defense gems might not be helping you as much as dodge would. Consider using the Agility/Stamina gems over Dodge/Stamina as well, you lose a minuscule amount of avoidance but gain some armor and critical strike chance - it's generally considered a very fair trade and there are a couple discussions around these forums with people's thoughts on agility.
repent
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

Serelynn wrote:Remember to factor in raid buffs when looking at 102.4% - they can easily push you well above and that means some of the equipment or gems you have aren't ideal since extra defense gems might not be helping you as much as dodge would. Consider using the Agility/Stamina gems over Dodge/Stamina as well, you lose a minuscule amount of avoidance but gain some armor and critical strike chance - it's generally considered a very fair trade and there are a couple discussions around these forums with people's thoughts on agility.


Thanks, that makes alot of sense!
Sputterduck
Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Re: Defense v. Dodge gem choice

Just something to keep an eye out for when you're swapping gems around, make sure you don't break your meta requirements.