Skip to content
Maintankadin

Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Seloei
Wed May 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Hello,
tried searching but couldn't find anything related to this...
I was under the impression that the 800 armor is worth more than 60 avoidance rating for the hard hitting bosses? Because it takes off almost 2% of the damage done per hit, so you have a lot more EH to survive. Got the saronite legings on the first week and been passing on t8 because of those.

Is the avoidance on it that much better than ~500 off per hit?
rokkon
Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Seloei wrote:Hello,
tried searching but couldn't find anything related to this...
I was under the impression that the 800 armor is worth more than 60 avoidance rating for the hard hitting bosses? Because it takes off almost 2% of the damage done per hit, so you have a lot more EH to survive. Got the saronite legings on the first week and been passing on t8 because of those.

Is the avoidance on it that much better than ~500 off per hit?


For me 800 armor reduces hits by only about 1%. Did you get 2% from the in game tool tip? Armor suffers from DR so it will be different depending on how much armor you already have.

Edit: Most of the extra avoidance on tier leggings is parry. I just don't like parry, saronite legguards have quite a bit more dodge and more armor. Maybe someone could crunch the numbers to find out exactly how much avoidance difference there is since dodge is worth more than parry. I just personally like the saronite legguards better, not sure if our tier being a skirt has any subliminal effects on me in that department or not :lol:
Kelaan
Thu May 14, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

rokkon wrote:For me 800 armor reduces hits by only about 1%. Did you get 2% from the in game tool tip? Armor suffers from DR so it will be different depending on how much armor you already have.

Let's imagine that your normalgear gives you 55% damage reduction via armor, and that when you equip Some Other Gear, your tooltip now reads 56% damage reduction.
You gained 1% overall damage reduction, but the hits you take are now reduced by more than that. You used to take 45% of every hit, and now you take 44% of every hit -- which is a 3% reduction. Adding armor, despite the tooltip looking unimpressive, is surprisingly powerful.
rokkon
Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Actually my understanding is that diminishing returns are tuned to exactly counter this multiplicative effect you're speaking of. (source)

ElitistJerks wrote:There is some confusion about "diminishing returns" on armor. The DR given by armor follows a diminishing-return curve, so the higher your DR is, the more armor is required to increase it by 1%. However, the value of each extra point of DR increases as your DR increases. For example, consider an attack that does 10,000 physical damage before armor is considered:

* If your armor DR is 50% and you increase it to 51%, the damage done by the attack is reduced from 5,000 to 4,900, a 2% reduction.
* If your armor DR is 60% and you increase it to 61%, the damage done by the attack is reduced from 4,000 to 3,900, a 2.5% reduction.

So, even though your DR% will increase more slowly as you add more and more armor, each extra point of armor is providing roughly the same relative benefit. Hence, increasing your armor is always worthwhile. (For a more detailed explanation with math and such, see Quigon's Protection Warrior Guide.)


Edit: just to make sure we're on the same page here, each percent of armor will have multiplicative effects, but diminishing returns makes sure that it takes more armor to get to each progressive percent. This is the reason behind why I asked him what percent 800 armor actually did increase his damage reduction, for that to be true he would have to have relatively low armor to begin with in which case 800 armor would make more of a difference.
Amaranthea
Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 am

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Armor is linear in terms of added TTL.

Armor is a ridiculously strong stat against physical damage.

In a vacuum, Saronite Plated are better than T8. If the T8 legs are the 4th piece of your set you might consider wearing them, but that's about it and I usually don't (no shoulder drops yet qq) as the bonus isn't worth the lost AC against really hard hitters.

Looks nice though.
Seloei
Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Was more like wondering, if the added damage reduction is worth it for 25man or not?
If for say, Freya hits you for 19k instead of 20k, wouldn't it be better to use the more avoidance from her legs than the extra armor?

edit: with devo aura and druid mark.
with saronite plate leggings, i'm on 28739 armor for 65.36% reduction or 34.64%
with dragon brood leggings , i'm on 27865 armor for 64.66% reduction or 35.34%

that's a difference of 0.7% in the tooltip but 2.02% reduction on melee hits.

The difference between saronite plated leggigns and t8 is : 60 parry rating and 1 dodge/defense rating vs 800'sh armor.

So in reality, it's a 2% static reduction on melee hits vs 1.22% parry rating ( not including dimishing effects )

Still undecided which one is better...
Amaranthea
Thu May 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

I'll take a nearly equal (in terms of itemization cost) armor item over an avoidance item every time. I really don't think it's even close unless the legs are what makes or breaks your 4 piece. Interestingly enough tankpoints thinks the items are pretty close to equal in terms of average TTL.

Not a perfect analogy, but would you rather be hit for 15000 every swing with 0% avoidance or 30000 per swing with 50% avoidance?
Candiru
Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

I prefer them as I am an armour whore :)

hit about 30k in raids without inspiration up.
Zoltar
Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Have both, use both depending on what I am doing.

Leggings for MTing, kilt for everything else.
daemonym
Fri May 15, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

saronite uber armor all the way. if you check my armory youll see def/dodge/parry anywhere i can, but i will always use them legs if i get em.
Eanin
Fri May 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

It depends. I have them both, but have gemmed them differently. I have two +27 dodge gems in the t8 and two +41 stamina gems in the saronite. If I need more stamina, I pull out the saronite and if I need more avoidance, I pull out the t8.
cougbait
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

cool, i just got the 8.5s last night as i was the only paladin tank in the VOA raid. and im put them in the bank asap, as i did not see them as a upgrade over the saronite ones and im glade others feel the same.
Petrus
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

I really want the Saronite Plated Legguards, but really the T8 are very good as well. I'm probably going to have both at some point, and will probably use Saronite Plated Legguards when I need the armor for a very hard hitting boss or something.
Holyday
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Eanin wrote:It depends. I have them both, but have gemmed them differently. I have two +27 dodge gems in the t8 and two +41 stamina gems in the saronite. If I need more stamina, I pull out the saronite and if I need more avoidance, I pull out the t8.


Nice concept but I find it a waste to use prismatics in the saronite because of the crappy socket bonus. To me those are the perfect item to use 24 stam gems in them and use your prismatics for other red/yellow slots you probably have elsewhere. If you don't have other red/yellows...well, all power to you ;)
Levantine
Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 am

Re: Saronite Plated Legguards vs T8

Saronite Plated are loveeeee~