Skip to content
Maintankadin

Red Sword of Courage - rarity

Atticus
Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Red Sword of Courage - rarity

Anyone else noticing this weapon almost never drops? I've done about 16 UP runs and ... nada. (The leather gloves have dropped about 10 times tho). Are there items within the final boss epic loot tables that are "rare-er" than the others (maybe in a less severe way than the mount rarity)?
Dorvan
Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

RLIR (random loot is random)

It's a 1 in 4 drop. There's a 1% chance of not seeing the sword after 16 runs. Multiply that by however million subscribers there are, and your misery has plenty of company.
Kelaan
Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I have a friend who has never seen one drop on any toon, even after having farmed for it on his warrior.
In contrast, I have been there five or six times and have two of them. (I got the second one in anticipation of the stamina enchant that was removed before going live.)

As Dorvan said: random loot is random. You have the same chance going in to get it as anyone else (~25%), but the chance of you having never gotten one after N runs is (3/4)^N. A small fraction of a large population can still be lots of people. :)
Sairah
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I ran UP almost daily for a month. Never dropped. I feel your pain.

I ended up giving up in disgust of my RNG luck and using Hatestrike with the Seal of the Pantheon to make up the defense gap - pinning my luck on Gothik now.
KysenMurrin
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I've run Heroic UP twice, and it dropped both times.
Jappobra
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I've never seen any other epic drop in over 24 runs... Bad luck I guess, but there will be a new buyable tankweapon with 3.1 (Argent Tournament)
Spectrum
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

RLIR.

Let's do the math!

Code: Select all
Number of runs   Chance of not seeing a drop.
  2:                        0.5625
  4:                        0.31640625
  8:                        0.100112915039062
16:                        0.0100225957576185
32:                        0.000100452425720633


So 10% of the population still hasn't seen one after 8 runs. After 16
we're down to 1/100, which still isn't bad. It isn't until you get out to
32 that you should really start to feel special.
Nikachelle
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I saw it drop last night for a tank who'd never been there before. *shrugs* It's really just luck. I got it within my first 3 or 4 times going there.
fuzzygeek
Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

My warrior got Last Laugh before ever seeing RSoC. :[
Araceli
Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

Ironically there are two major tank items that people say are hard to get: Red Sword of Courage and Seal of Pantheon.

I got both on my first runs, and I've continued to see both drop every now and then when I run the instances. It's really just a matter of luck, and eventually you will get one.

As someone said before, Random Loot is Random Loot.
Dorvan
Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

fuzzygeek wrote:My warrior got Last Laugh before ever seeing RSoC. :[


I got a Last Laugh off of my very first kill of *any* boss in Naxx 25 >.>
fuzzygeek
Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

We have an inordinant amount of tank gear drop. My warrior picked up both shields on Sunday.

On the other hand, in 23 KT kills, we've seen BoH once.
Petrus
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

I got RSoC early on, around 5 or so runs in. Took 7 runs for my Spaulders of the Righteous in BC (which used until I got T4 shoulders 12 or so Gruul runs later, but that was just because I kept losing them).

The most elusive piece so far was Bindings of the Hapless Prey from Maexxna. I've done Maexxna in Naxx25 every week since the beginning of December and it FINALLY dropped last night.
Jazmine
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

There are other sword options u know. Could run naxx 4H wing on 10 man to get the similar stat'd sword.

But if you need the sword from UP, your bound to get one. Just run heroics every day lol. TBH its not that great of a sword and if you farm 25man naxx, you'll soon be replacing it.
Barathorn
Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:01 am

Re: Red Sword of Courage - rarity

Jazmine wrote:There are other sword options u know. Could run naxx 4H wing on 10 man to get the similar stat'd sword.

But if you need the sword from UP, your bound to get one. Just run heroics every day lol. TBH its not that great of a sword and if you farm 25man naxx, you'll soon be replacing it.


Not everyone has that luxury though and I know plenty of people who would like this weapon but instead because of bad luck, are still using the Infantry Assualt Blade [like myself although I haven't run UP much]. For guilds that only 10 man raid, it is the best option currently to go for. RNG is random indeed.

Just have to keep running it people :)