Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dying Curse???

timmyc135
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Dying Curse???

Alright guys, ive used ur site for months now, and ive never had to post anything cuse any question ive ever had has always been answered, except for this. I know about the upcoming problems that Prot pally's are going to have(same as warriors will) w/ holding threat on single targets..aka Malygos(that we should look into hit rating and a soft expertise cap). I am also a aware that we don't have to gem or enchant for spell power anymore(YEAH!!!)...but holy damage is still our main cause of damage. Right now i have 600 Spell damage from stam, which for me is more then enough at the moment. With all that said how come i cant find any info about "DYING CURSE"
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40255
being a must have for threat/damage. I mean its not even a 'use' trinket, its 'equip' and when it proc's it will more then double my spell damage for 10 secs. Just want to here some input from people before i use my DKP to angry A LOT of spell casters(yet again)..
Aeran
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 pm
I'm not sure where you're reading that our threat comes from spell damage but a run through the stickies will alleviate that misconception.

you want strength and block value. strength I beleive is good for HotR and block is good for SotR

if you need to consecrate, it shouldn't be on less than 4 targets. if its a 4 pull and a decent group, it becomes manageable without consecration after about 10 seconds. so really it should be 5 or more targets that you're consecrating
_________________
La vittoria trova cento padri, e nessuno vuole riconoscere l'insuccesso
Elsie
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:34 pm
I think the only thing I do that would proc this is... consecrate and exorcism?

I'm pretty sure if I wanted threat I'd get more out of the badge melee dps one, which procs for 1000 AP.
Martie
Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 pm
While spell power does increase your threat, other stats do it better.

Strength is at the top of the list (increasing both attack power and block value), block value and attack power are second.

So if nobody else needs it, feel free to claim it. True casters have a lot better use for it, though.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Majiben
Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 am
If I ever thought we would have threat issues (which I don't) I would use DMC:G as it could easily be the best threat trinket out there as well as the best dps trinket.

Hit and expertise are still poor threat stats. Will be back to link psiven's numbers on threat on a ilevel basis.

Martie
Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 am
I personally wouldn't rule out hit and expertise too easily, but it vastly depends on how much threat you already do. Both hit and expertise(after the dodge cap) give percentual bonuses, after all. So the more threat you do, the stronger they get.

Still, untill you actually do that math, trust Majiben's judgement.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Majiben
Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:00 am
Not mine, psiven's.

Also the numbers shown assume you're not at the expertise soft cap yet.

You're right about hit and expertise getting better as you get better gear but we are a long way away from that. Check back in late T8 or 9.
_________________
Candiru
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 am
Trouble with Hit and Expertise is they don't affect much.

Hit: Judgment + ShoR + HotR + white + HolyShield(?)

Expertise: HotR + white

Unaffected: Consecration + SoV DoT

So while expertise is at double the efficiency of hit, because it affects less abilities its worse. And after the expertise soft cap its DIRE. While for warriors all their threat moves are boosted by Expertise and hit so its an amazing stat for them.
Wolvar
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:22 am
Yay, Hijack!

Has anyone actually proven that expertise lowers HotR deflection? ...or is that the current assumption? Deflect is a noticeably different percentage than parry.
_________________
Wolvar
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 am
Percentage differences between parry and deflect couldn't be due to my expertise since it would be the same in the sample parsed. Last time I looked it was over a 3% difference between parries and deflects over the course of a raid. Pretty significant difference given the sample size. I'm fairly certain they are on a different mechanic. What I'm not certain of is whether expertise affects this different mechanic.
_________________
Rhiannon
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm
Went and did some testing on this, as I've not seen much done before. The sample size is small, as the 6 second cooldown makes testing rather tedious, so don't expect the percentages to be particularly accurate.

6 expertise: (0 expertise from gear, only from talents)





56 expertise: (6 from talents, 10 from SoV glyph, 40 from gear/consumables)





The precise numbers are subject to inaccuracy due to sample size, but at least we can see that stacking enough expertise to eliminate (or at least reduce) the chance to be parried we also seem to have eliminated (or greatly reduced) the chance for HotR to be deflected. So it would seem that expertise acts to reduce chance to be deflected as well. Whether the deflection cap is the same as the parry cap is another question, and one that I'm not prepared to test just yet ;p.
_________________
Majiben
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:58 pm
Nice work.
_________________