Skip to content
Maintankadin

Will the future bring new badge gear?

Discus
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 am

Will the future bring new badge gear?

As a very casual player who's never got a drop he's chased, badges saved me in TBC, because I was slowly able to accumulate a half decent set of gear without running 25 mans or much beyond Kara.

Everything I've seen in WoTLK seems geared towards scrubs like me, accept there seems a lack of decent badge gear for tankadins. The excellent gear progression lists in here show very little badge gear and lots of naxx 10 (which won't drop) and naxx 25 (which I'll never run).

Presumably more will be coming, any idea when and what?
gmf1
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:16 am
With the new instances coming out the gear that drops in them should go up in tiem lvl.

So while naxx 10 drops ilevel 200 gearm 25 drops 213 (higher from end bosses and special cases), uldauar 10 should drops higher ilevel gear.

This is something our our guild has been talking about, will 10 man badges alow you to buy the new uldar 10 man gear?

If so that will give people who farm heroics acces to higher than ilevel 200 gear, which is against what blizz was saying they wanted fromt he new badge system.

Will they bring out new badges for uldar? Will they let people have this new gear for old badges? My opinion is for badges to be able to be spent on the new gear, some hardcores are guna get pissed but imo let them, badge gear usually only has a few pieces anyway.

These are things will will not know for a while.
_________________
Gamingdevil
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 am
It's quite certain there will be new badge gear, we just don't know how they will go about it yet.

As the above poster said, Blizz wouldn't really want you to be able to buy gear that is of a higher level than the instances you run to get it.

Perhaps, they will make a new "tier" of badges, where you get Emblems of Valor from 10 man Ulduar and a new kind in 25 man.
_________________
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Discus
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:59 am
As the above poster said, Blizz wouldn't really want you to be able to buy gear that is of a higher level than the instances you run to get it.

I can understand the logic in this, but at the end of TBC casual players in smaller guilds (like me) were able to farm badges and pick up T6 equiv gear way above the level of heroics or kara that my guild was farming.

If the above system is proposed, once you have a full set of badge gear we'll be left with two options:

1. Join a hardcore raiding guild (not an option for a full time working family man)

2. Quit playing.

As I said, I don't get drops so it's badge gear or nothing.
Senador
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 am
However, also in TBC, there was no real 10 man progression (Karazhan to ZA).

In WoTLK there is a definitive and very viable 10 man progression route with the full set of instances to run (OS, Naxx, EoE, Ulduar, etc). 10 people is not hard to gather together, it was done for Karazhan constantly. As people gear up, understand the mechanics (even for old fights, a lot of people don't really come in with an intrinsic understanding of them, and some barely understand what is going on) more and more pugs will occur (Even now everything is pugged on my server in both 10 and 25 man flavor).

Also it was rather silly that Sunwell guilds went back into Karazhan simply for badge gear, and going back to content they had cleared over a year and a half before. The point of progression is to be able to move on, not repeat the same thing because you felt you were forced to (Karazhan's 22 badges in a single instance was the single most effective way to obtain Badges in the game; and with items on par or even surpassing Tier 6 quality).
Wolvar
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 am
I'm gonna have a million frozen orbs if they don't add more gear to buy.

I really think they dropped the ball by making dungeons faster. I know why they did it, and it's nice to bang them out quickly, but you rack up badges so much faster and then there's nothing to buy. Once your factions are all maxxed, and you've purchased all you want, what's the point of running dungeons at all? I'm almost to that point now.
Discus
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 am
I don't mind the shorter dungeons, they work well for players like me who often have very little playing time per day. But with shorter dungeons badge collection is faster and, currently, there isn't the gear to buy with badges.

My play style is my choice ofc - I don't enjoy PUGs and am a member of a small guild of similar aged players whom I regard as mates. We have a laugh when playing, but even organising a 10 man run is tough for a small guild of mostly working family men.
Eanin
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 am
I hate to be a spoilsport, but 2.3 and 2.4 did not benefit the casual player. They rewarded endlessly farming heroics and Kara for hours on end, something that is not casual.

If bosses hadn't started dropping BoJ's, I would never have gotten any of the new badge gear. I am in a successful, casual raiding guild (we killed up to Council pre-3.0 on a 3-night scedule). Casual players didn't have time to run Kara weekly and heroics and raid.
_________________
Discus
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 am
I suppose it depends on the group dynamics but we were able to endlessly farm mech/bot so we all ended up with all the badge gear we needed. This was easily done with a regular group of 5 players who played at the same time each day - getting 10 people together proved more challenging and so kara runs were less regular.
Majiben
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Moving to the gear discussion forum -Majiben
_________________
Fedaykin98
Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm
I would be very surprised if they didn't add more badge gear sometime during Wrath's lifetime, because there were (IIRC) two additional sets of badge gear over the course of BC.

As someone said, if they release more badge gear then that helps keep more people playing because they have a viable upgrade path for their character. If they don't, then someone in a small guild who runs heroics and 10-mans but may not be able to run harder 10-mans (like ZA difficulty, if we get to that point) will just hit a wall and stop playing.

Also, I'm under the impression that Ulduar10 epics will be comparable to current 25-man epics, not superior to them as gmf1 said.
_________________
Senador
Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Oh I fully expect them to add more badge gear.

It just likely won't use Badges of Heroism or Badges of Valor.

I suspect that, like many have already predicted, that Ulduar 10 will likely drop Badges of Valor, and that Ulduar 25 will have an entirely new Badge. These new badges will be the currency for the new gear. When the next raid tier after that is released, the 10 man of that raid will likely have the Ulduar 25 badges, etc.

Like this:

Badge of Heroism: Heroics & "Tier 7" 10 man raids
Badge of Valor: "Tier 7" 25 man raids & "Tier 8" 10 man raids
Badge of To Be Determined: "Tier 8" 25 man raids & "Tier 9" 10 man raids
Badge of Super Awsome Loot: "Tier 9" 25 man raids
etc

This provides a full progression path for both sides, and allows the game to flow in a more linear fasion. Instead of running Naxx for 2 years, once you have finished with it, you can move on to Ulduar, and then on from there.
Senador
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm
I used to think that with potions too, and yet we still are coming out with new ones...
Fedaykin98
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 pm
Personally I'd like to see them stick with just the two types of badges. I don't think one type hurt anything in BC; I'm actually somewhat annoyed with the 2 different types in Wrath.

Pros: 2 types let half the badge gear be ilvl 213, which is nice.

Cons: Emblems of Valor are a lot slower to come than Heroism, and can't really be farmed at will.

25-man badges still won't come super quick in the future if they only fall from 25-mans (including Ulduar).

One idea that would be somewhat of a middle solution would be for them to move the current Valor gear to Heroism badges and introduce ilvl 226 Valor gear. That would be a mix of the BC badge system and the current 2-badge system.
_________________