Skip to content
Maintankadin

in support of block value tanking

Ascendant
Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:03 pm

in support of block value tanking

the point:

I have forsaken minor mathematical differences in favor of BV as my preferred damage reduction stat. I just like the synergy it has with out talents and the increase in damage from ShoR. After looking at some of these threads (specifically the stickies) I am concerned that I missed out on some info that might change my mind on the subject.

ranting:

I am fairly convinced that, to a point, dodge rating is better than block value for damage reduction; this of course depends greatly on the encounter. I am also convinced that parry is a trash stat that should be avoided as much as possible, so is expertise but not as much.

to this conception I vote for block value; not only for the consistent return on survivability but also for the increase in damage. I have, on several occasions, opted for a lvl 200 item over a 213 for this stat. call me crazy, but it seems like the right choice considering our talents and benefits from this stat.
Threatco
Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:49 pm
I throw on avoidance for slow/big attacks (single raid boss fights).

And BV/BR for fast/weak attacks (trash)

And EH for casters.


The line.

If my pure avoidance is 50%. Then I would want my BV to be at least higher then 50% of the damage of the incoming attacks.

Is avoiding 1% more often worth having your blocks reduce less damage?
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
theothersteve7
Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 pm
It really is beautiful how it synergizes with EVERYTHING. Shame it's hard to find on lower level gear.
_________________