Skip to content
Maintankadin

I don't think block capping is really worth it

Krazy
Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 am

Krazy's Block Cap gear guide (Pre Naxx)

My guide is a bit different than Eanin's failsafe guide. My target here is for someone that is already running heroics and getting ready for naxx10/naxx25.

Now I realize that uncrushability (now called block cap) isn't something that we are mandated to shoot for but it sure helps. When WOTLK came out I put together a list of items I was going to farm to help get myself as close to block cap as possible in preparation for off tanking naxx 25 (sadly the role I have, my guild does not believe in pally MT's...that's another story though).

This is also great for AoE tanking (I love it)...stacking stam is great but if you like to AoE tank like me you want as much mitigation/avoidance as possible without killing your stam completely.

I am not including the crafted gear as most of it is inferior for avoidance type stats (raw defense only) as well as quite expensive. I may change this later.

I'll talk a little about each piece and while it may be a bit opinionated at times (sorry) it should give you an idea of what each piece has to offer.

Anyway, here is the list...

Head
This slot is debatable...some people like a meta (me being one) and would be willing to sacrifice other stats for it. The titansteel helm is nice and has a ton of stam. Since I like to stack block, and the new 5% block value meta is awesome for that...I pretty much had two helm choices.

Ground Tremor Helm - 1.5% (d/p/b)

This helm does not have avoidance stats on it (other than raw defense), but it has hit rating which is very nice for tankadins. Less hammers flying askew and missed avenger's shields will have you thanking yourself for getting some gear with hit on it. Drops from Moorabi in heroic Gun'drak.

Arcane Shielded Helm - 2.1% (1.32% dodge)

A great helm for avoidance, this helm has dodge on it at the cost of quite a bit of defense. I personally prefer the ground tremor helm over this one because it has 25 more defense which helps get you to 540. If you have the defense to spare and want more avoidance by all means go with this one. Drops from Grand Magus Telestra in Heroic Nexus.

Neck
The emblem neck is about the only neck worth listing here. It is best in slot until naxx.

Chained Military Gorget - 1.62% (1.08% dodge)

Purchased for 25 emblems of heroism.

Shoulder

Pauldrons of the Colossus - 2.58% (2.08% block)

These shoulders are amazing for block rating...there really is no other option for that in this slot. They drop from Drakkari Elemental (Colossus) in Gun'drak Heroic. They are comparable to T7 statwise (+2 str, +3 def), even the same socket. T7 has parry/dodge instead of block which have diminishing returns.


Back

There really are only 2 choices here for pre-naxx, so here they are...

Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions - 0.89% (D/P/B) (43 defense rating)

This cloak is amazing despite its ease of availability. It is purchased from the Wyrmrest quartermaster at Honored Reputation. It's 43 defense rating helps a lot to reaching 540 and one of the bonuses is it also has hit rating, which is key for up and coming tankadins.

Durable Nerubhide Cape - 1.25% (Dodge) (Crafted)

This is another option but it has no defense...only use it if you can afford to lose the 43 defense rating from the wyrmrest cloak. It's dodge is also subject to diminishing returns and expertise rating is overvalued for tankadins (talent + SoV glyph give you plenty).

Chest

There is really only one piece you should be shooting for in this slot pre-naxx and that is your T7 chest. 80 badges is a lot but nothing else comes close to this amazing piece before you step into naxx.

Heroes Redemption Breastplate - 4.29%% (3.67% block with socket bonus) (38 defense)

Purchased for 80 badges of heroism.

Wrist

Bracers of the Herald 1.75% (1.00% parry)

Best in slot pre-naxx, these bracers drop from Herald Volazj in heroic Old Kingdom. The parry rating on these is somewhat disappointing but there is no block rating item for this slot and these are better than everything else pre-naxx.

Hands
There are a several options for hands including the T7 gloves that can be purchased for 60 emblems of heroism.

Refined Ore Gloves - 3.03% (2.35% block) (42 defense)

I can't even begin to describe how amazing these gloves are. The block rating and defense on them give you 2.35% block. They also have 42 defense which is more than the T7 gloves. These are also bind on equip so you probably will be able to grab them from the AH. They drop from trash mobs in Halls of Stone on heroic.

Heroes' Redemption Handguards - 2.02% (D/P/B) (1.4% dodge) (38 defense)

These are a good choice if for some reason you can't grab the refined ore gloves. They have less strength, less defense, and the same stamina, but a socket can help to level them against the refined ore gloves. The hit rating on them is nice but the dodge is subject to diminishing returns. The 2 piece bonus is also nice if you are going for that.

Waist

Waistguard of Living Iron - 2.36% (b/p/d)

Hands down, the best in slot pre-naxx...get this asap. Purchased for 40 emblems of heroism. Don't forget to add a belt buckle to it for an extra gem slot.


Legs

Bolstered Legplates - 1.98% (d/p/b)

These drop from Cyanigosa, the final boss in Heroic Violet Hold and are pretty much best in slot pre-naxx. 81 defense is nothing to sneeze at and the hit rating is great for ensuring you grab those mobs the first time, every time.

Ley-Guardian's Legguards - ~1.8% (d/p/b)

These are basically a blue version of the legs listed above, every stat is the same, just a little less. You also get a yellow socket instead of a red. They come from the chest you get after you kill the final boss of heroic Occulus.

Feet

Terrace Defence Boots - 3.24% (2.64% block keeping socket bonus) (41 defense)

These boots are the best pre-naxx for block rating. They have about 2.64% block when socketed for the bonus. They drop from Trollgore in heroic Drak'tharon.


Rings
As much as I would like to include some of the great level 70 rings for block/avoidance (i.e. Signet of the Last Defender) I'm going to omit those because many people that don't have them won't have a chance to get them now. It is better to focus on level 80 gear that is more easily available (I made an exception for the figurine though).

Titanium Earthguard Ring

This ring is nice and is an option here as well BUT...it will be very very very expensive...probably out of the price range of 90% of players. The drop rings listed below will be much easier to obtain for players without 5k+ gold to spend on this ring.


Keystone Great-Ring 1.25% (Dodge)

Great ring providing a boat load of stam. It does provide a ton of dodge but keep in mind that is subject to diminishing returns. Drops from the Prophet Tharon'ja in heroic Drak'Tharon.

Unsmashable Heavy Band 0.73% (D/P/B) (30 defense)

This ring provides a nice 30 defense and an amazing 76 block value. It drops from Ingvar the Plunderer, the final boss of Utgarde Keep, on heroic.


Trinket 1

Lavanthor's Talisman 4.5% Block

This trinket drops from the boss that shares its name with in Heroic Violet Hold. It provides an amazing 74 block rating which turns out to be about 4.5%.

Trinket 2

You have a couple of choices here...I'll list them in no particular order...

Figurine of the Colossus 1.95% Block

Still a great trinket for obvious reasons. Drops from final boss of shattered halls (70 TBC instance). Many of you probably already have it and if you don't, the good news is that SH is now easily soloable at level 80 for a tankadin. 32 block rating gives you 1.95% block.

Valor Medal of the First War 2.13% (Dodge)

This Pocketwatch 2.0 can be purchased for 40 emblems of heroism. The downside is that dodge is subject to diminishing returns.

Seal of the Pantheon ~1.35% (Dodge/Parry/Block) (65 defense rating)

This is another good trinket to keep yourself above the magical 540 defense. It also provides around 1.35% of combined avoidance from the 65 defense rating is has. Drops from Loken in Lightning Halls (normal or heroic).

Weapon

Red Sword of Courage - 0.93% (d/p/b)

This weapon is far and away the best in slot for tankadins pre-naxx. Sadly the drop rate on it seems to be fairly low and it took me many runs to obtain. 38 defense is awesome and the hit rating is excellent. Plus it straight looks badass! Drops from King Ymiron in heroic Utgarde Pinnacle.

Shield
There are pretty much 3 shield options going into naxx, the two I will list below and the titansteel shield wall. Titansteel was not an option for me ($$$) and luckily I got the Royal Crest on my first heroic CoT.

Royal Crest of Lordaeron - 1.2% (d/p/b)

I like this shield over the badge shield for a couple of reasons. It has more defense (+15) and secondly it just plain looks awesome (looks are important Razz). Drops from Heroic Culling of Strat (final boss chest).

Crygil's Discarded Plate Panel - 1.68% (d/p/b)

This shield has more avoidance than the Royal Crest at the cost of some defense. If you are already well over the 540 mark with the CoT shield it might be worth it to grab this. Does not look as cool sadly. The other stats are pretty much the same. If you have bad luck getting the CoT Shield you might want to pick this up. Purchased for 35 emblems of heroism.

Libram

Libram of Obstruction

This libram is beyond awesome. I was hesitant at first to give up my old badge libram for fear of losing the block rating but once I got this and started using it I love it. 15 emblems of heroism will nab this baby for you.


Gems
I like to socket avoidance as opposed to pure stam. I am not including parry gems because parry sucks Razz...we are tankadins not death knights. So here we go..

Yellow Socket - Enduring Forest Emerald or Thick Autumn's glow

You can put more Thick Autumn's if you are having trouble reaching 540...but keep in mind you will need at least one Blue for the block meta.

Blue Socket - Enduring Forest Emerald or Regal Twilight Opal

Red Socket - Regal Twilight Opal or Subtle Scarlet Ruby

You will need at least 2 Regal's or 2 Subtle's to meet the meta requirement.

Meta - Eternal Earthsiege Diamond (21 Defense and 5% Shield Block Value)

This is huge...there is the other meta with stam and increased armor but this is so much better for tankadins. This is THE meta to get.

Enchants

Head - 37 Stam/20 defense (Requires Argent Crusade Revered)

Shoulder - Scryer/Aldor exalted OR Sons of Hodir (baad rep grind)

Back - 16 defense

Chest - 22 defense

Bracer - 12 defense

Gloves - 20 agility or Armsman (Nice threat but parry...ugh)

Legs - Frosthide Leg armor (55 stam/22agi)

Feet - 16 agility OR 22 stam (I like the dodge better)

Weapon - 26 agility OR mongoose OR potency (great for shield block value)

Shield - 18 stam or 20 defense or 15 shield block rating (can you find someone with this? I can't...I have the 10 block rating chant though).


Hopefully you liked my guide. Grabbing most (or all) of these items should put you very close to or above the 70% avoidance (vs level 83) needed to reach block cap with holy shield up. I wish warcrafter was finished being updated so I could put the set together so you can see the stats.

EDIT - Removed the emblem boots because they require emblems of valor. I was mistaken in thinking they were heroism gear.
_________________
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:46 am
You do yourself a disservice ignoring the Tempered Saronite stuff, it's loaded with defence.
PsiVen
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:35 am
Well, the titansteel pieces are terribly itemized as all they care about is maximum stamina. They rank worse than many blues in a discussion of what will get you to the block cap faster. I can't think of any saronite pieces that are worthwhile, but Daunting Handguards/Legguards are excellent and should rank up there.

That said, you won't and shouldn't try to reach 102.4% pre-raids. Trust me, you'd rather have enough stamina than enough block rating.
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 80 Tankadin
Bloodsail Admiral Psivenia, 70 Warrior
70 Belfadin, 62 Druid, 60 Priest, 60 Warlock

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
Majiben
Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:59 pm
Not taking DR in account will greatly skew your results.
_________________
Krazy
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:29 pm
I'm using pretty much every piece I listed here (or I have it) and I am 2% over block cap (with HS up) with 24.2k HP unbuffed...its not like you are going to have 18k or something if you don't use any of the crafted stuff.

My goal here was to make a "best in slot" list for getting to block cap before doing any raiding.

Majiben
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:15 pm
Because you didn't factor in DR on miss you are just barely blockcapped in your current gear (.2% over). You are in quite a bit of raid gear as it stands now. The general advice that is given reguarding the block cap is not to worry about it before raids and to be blocked capped by the end of T7.
_________________
Krazy
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm
I have one piece of raid gear...boots...and they actually have less avoidance than the terrace defence boots. I bought the chest with badges.

Also...you will not be block capped...even in full T7...why? Because the helm is meh(like the BV on it though), the gloves suck, and the shoulders are meh. The only good pieces are the pants and the chest. The rest is simply sidegrades/downgrades to the gear I listed here.

I'm comparing the 10man set here though BTW, the 25 man set is quite different.


EDIT - I overlooked something...the badge boots are badges of valor...I'm not sure why I thought they were heroism.
_________________
Kroda
Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am
any chance we can get this stickied?
_________________
Panzerdin
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am
With 24k unbuffed HP, you're not going to be short. If it really matters, then you might even reach the mid 30s with raid buffs.
vya
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 pm
24k unbuffed leads to "mid 30s" raid buffed? What magical buffs are you using? I sit somewhere near 25k unbuffed right now (give or take, can't remember the exact number) and the most I've maxed out at (with fort, warlock imp, warrior buff, kings, dragonfin filet) is around 31k IIRC.