Skip to content
Maintankadin

Uncrittable, the no muss, no fuss way!

Impervium
Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Uncrittable, the no muss, no fuss way!

I took some time today to go through the available gear listed in various guides and pulled some data on them to put together the best tanking set I could. So in the tradition of the old Failsafe Uncrushable guide, I present you with the Uncrittable, no muss, no fuss guide.

Head – Tempered Titansteel Helm
[1821 AC, Meta B, 61 Str, 160 Sta, 46 Def] (Sockets will be coming after the patch)
OR
Armored Titanium Goggles (Crafted)
[1821 AC, Meta Y, 73 Str, 111 Sta, 60 Def, 43 Exp]

Neck – Reinforced Titanium Neckguard (5-man Group Quest)
[R, 34 Str, 27 Sta, 26 Def, 17 DR]

Shoulders – Pauldrons of Reconnaissance (Halls of Stone Quest)
[1496 AC, 34 Str, 69 Sta, 46 Def, 24 Exp]

Back – Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions (Wyrmrest Honored)
[140 AC, 31 Str, 64 Sta, 43 Def, 25 Hit]

Chest – Silver-Plated Battlechest (Quest)
[2093 AC, 60 Str, 103 Sta, 74 Def]

Bracers – Tempered Saronite Bracers (Crafted)
[873 AC, 27 Str, 30 Sta, 48 Def]

Gloves – Daunting Handguards (Crafted)
[1308 AC, 30 Str, 60 Sta, 71 Def]

Belt – Tempered Saronite Belt (Crafted)
[1040 AC, 24 Str, 49 Sta, 57 Def]

Pants – Daunting Legplates (Crafted)
[1831 AC, 54 Str, 93 Sta, 88 Def]

Boots – Tempered Titansteel Treads (Crafted)
[1541 AC, 45 Str, 120 Sta, 35 Def]

Ring1 –Staunch Signet (Quest)
[34 Str, 51 Sta, 25 Def, 19 DR]

Ring2 – Solid Platinum Band (Quest)
[34 Str, 51 Sta, 25 Def]

Weapon – Hammer of Quiet Mourning (3-Man Group Quest in Zul'Drak The Axe is also good)
[26 Str, 39 Sta, 19 Def, 15 DR]

Shield – Titansteel Shield Wall (Crafted)
[7530 AC, 211 BV, 36 Str, 69 Sta, 64 Def]

This set will give you 642 Defense rating (656 if you're an engineer) without any enchants or gems. It requires 0 BoP drops and only 1 rep item (which is only Honored no less).

If someone wanted to go through and add links to wowhead, that would be great. I can't get the links from work. Also enchant suggestions would be keen. I haven't looked into high level enchants yet. I'm still 77 Sad Also suggestions on how to improve it would be great.

EDIT: Added details I could remember about a few of the quests.
Sartor
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:00 am
First of all go for defense cap of 540.

As for neck, I would propose you Burning Skull Pendant. It dropped two times for me - you can check it on the AH as well.

As for rings, there is a very good one from Zul'Drak. In addition, you can check Heroic Oculus for another ring. You can go a few instances and get those... If you want just to go with questing and crafted items it is your call.

Gems & Enchants: get def, then stam and str. For Meta gem, I'd recommend the one with 5% block value and 21 defense - since it will help you to get the defense cap easier, and 5% block value = 5% dmg to ShoR.

Do not stack sta like in TBC - you can check str gems and some mixed gems like defense and dodge/expertise, etc.
_________________
Crathus
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:18 am
Great starter list Impervium! It makes it extremely easy to get uncrittable this way if you have trouble finding grp or want to get uncrittable before delving into the instances.

Defense Rating of 642 is very close to a Defense of 540, I think the Rating to get 540 is something like 689... not 100% on that number though. But with gemming the gear on your list that shouldn't be a problem Smile
_________________


When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...
Impervium
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 am
Right and it takes about 689 defense rating to get 540 defense. So with 642 Defense rating (more if you are an engineer) this gear takes you very close to the magical 540 number.

I'll have to check on that necklace. I may have missed it when I was navigating around work filters.

As for the rings, the primary purpose of this guide was to get geared enough for heroics without relying on any instance drops. Think of it as a baseline for the people the RNG hates.

Thanks for the info on the Meta, do you have the name of it or the requirements?
Thornir
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:15 pm
Switch out either the titansteel helm or boots for tempered saronite and you'll boost that up to uncrit easy.
_________________
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir
Kriskringle
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 pm
Saronite Boots are only 1 more DR than Titansteel Treads. Helm is a much bigger def boost (~35 Def Rating), but comes at the cost of 110 Stam and 240 armor. The OP doesn't include enchants or gems (+22 def to chest, +21 def meta gem, +def to cloak (16 or 18, I forget) being big ones that don't require rep), so that's probably the easiest place to look for some more DR.

Great list, I had almost everything on here when I dinged and I jumped right in to H Utgarde Pinnacle.
_________________
Kriskringle - 70 - Duskwood
Greatfather Winter is a sham.