Skip to content
Maintankadin

A close look at Meta Gems

Jasari
Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 am

A close look at Meta Gems

The two main gems I'm going to focus on here are:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41380 (32 stam, +2% armor)
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41396 (21 def, +5% BV)

I realize that other viable options exist, including the 2% spell mitigation one. But for a majority of encounters, tanks are going to choose one of the two gems listed above.

The question then becomes which one is better.

The obvious answer is that 5% BV is better for faster, weaker hitting mobs and that 2% armor is better for slower, harder hitting mobs. This answer is such an gross generalization that for anyone with any interest in max/min and theorycrafting, it's unacceptable.

The debate between 32 stam and 21 defense is a different battle and isn't specific to these meta gems. For the sake of my comparison here, I will assume that 21 defense and 32 stam are equal. The point can be debated, but in that case all gems and enchants are brought into discussion. The real point of conflict with our meta gems is +2% armor vs +5% BV.

On 2% armor.
The amount of mitigation gained from a total amount of armor ("X"), against a (level 83) raid boss can be found by the following equation:

%mitigation = X / (X + 16635)

For example, if you have 22k armor, you will mitigate (22000 / (22000 + 16635)) or 56.9% against a raid boss.

To then figure out how much actual damage you take you have to account for how hard the boss is hitting. The harder the boss hits, the more damage 56.9% of his hit is equal to.

Therefore:
Total Damage Taken = Base Damage * (1 - %mitigation)

To find out how much you mitigate with an additional 2% armor we can simply use the following equation:

%NEWmitigation = (1.02 * X) / ((1.02 * X) + 16635)

The amount of damage that results in is:

Total NEW Damage Taken = Base Damage * (1 - %NEWmitigation)

Therefore, the amount of additional damage reduced by 2% additional armor is equal to:

Total Damage Taken - Total NEW Damage Taken.

On 5% BV.

The amount of damage reduced by Block Value is a very simple calculation. It doesn't scale at all with how hard you're being hit, making it much better against light hitting mobs, and worse against hard hitting mobs.

The amount of damage mitigated by BV is equal to BV.

The amount of additional damage mitigated +5% BV is equal to:

0.05 * BV

Conclusions.

Before I get into specific examples, the amount of mitigation gained from 5% BV compared to 2% armor takes into account three variables: Current Armor, Current BV, Average Boss Hit Damage. It is also important to remember that you are only guaranteed to mitigated damage equal to your BV when you're at "uncrushable" or 102.4% avoidance + block chance. Therefore, the equations and calculations I've laid out for comparing these two meta gems are only relevant when you will block every unavoided attack. If you're not in that situation, the value of 5% BV diminishes drastically. In addition, I didn't take into acount the threat and DPS gained by 5% BV. At current gear levels, maintaining threat is a non issue so it's not something to worry about. DPS is a valid point to discuss, but it's not within the scope of my comparison.

Examples.

"Low Level Set"
Armor: 20k
BV: 800
Average Boss Hit (unmitigated): 8000

Damage Reduction gained by:
2% armor: 39.23
5% BV: 40

"Low-Mid"
Armor: 22k
BV: 875
Average Boss Hit (unmitigated): 10000

Damage Reduction gained by:
2% armor: 48.48
5% BV: 43.75

"Mid Level"
Armor: 23k
BV: 900
Average Boss Hit (unmitigated): 12000

Damage Reduction gained by:
2% armor: 57.35
5% BV: 45

"High Level"
Armor: 25k
BV: 1000
Average Boss Hit (unmitigated): 18000

Damage Reduction gained by:
2% armor: 85
5% BV: 50

Note.
These are all samples of arbitrary stats. I wrote a small web app to calculate the benefits of the two meta given current BV, armor, and unmitigated boss hit amount, but I have no where to upload them.

Comments?
Janduin
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:10 am
Very nice. Just personally, I'm not consciously stacking BV or anything and my unbuffed BV is like 1250 with 25K armor. I do not know what is typical, but you may be underestimating typical numbers. Also, does meta work with libram proc? because that is going to be up a lot.
_________________
Targonis
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:28 am
You forgot to mention that the increased BV also adds an additional 3% ish (give or take) damage onto SHoR... BV+520 Dmg.
_________________
Veilan
Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:32 am
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=17137&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

As stated in the previous thread about these two gems, I'm singing the Effulgent Skyflare Diamond's song.

Spell damage is the only weakness we have, so I take the few things I can get to help there. Perhaps I'm just not deep enough in the content and no boss will do any spell damage later on, but my healer can tell when I'm taking melee hits and when it's magical.
_________________
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan
Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 pm
Aye, and the more reduction you have, the more valuable are additional percent points. Of course, this logic applies to block and armour too - it's more relatively powerful there. Pushing the damage you take from 40% to 38% is worth more than from 80% to 78%. But you need to get there first, eh?

Those 2%-points are probably a reduction of about roughly 3% in the spell damage you are still taking. To me, it's the most useful, since least obtainable, characteristic. It won't put you on par with death knights, but it does help a weakness instead of even further exaggerating your already formidable strengths.

Did I mention I'm quite jealous of the -% spell hit racial, especially since pursuit of justice has lost it? Smile
_________________
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU