Skip to content
Maintankadin

?537? Defense

Corvina
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:16 am

?537? Defense

So i've been at 540 defense (or more) for some time. Or so i thought.

(diclaimer: currently work impaired. numbers from memory, not exact, but close.)

Did our first porgression 25-naxx last night and i went to check my character screen and only had 537 defense. Tooltip said i was at 5.87% (i think)

HOWEVER, the tankadin stat window says i'm on the positive side (by .48 it think.) I have the shield from Grob, it has around 25 defense rating if i remember right. I took it off and tankadin still had me as uncritable (now by .21 i think.)

So my wow ui says i'm critable, tankadin says i'm not. I have no resiliance on my gear whatsoever.

For the record, from what i could see, I didn't get crit at all last night. (3 hours of raiding. Spider wing, a couple PW attempts, then finished up clearing OS) But i'm still nervous that the number is under 540.


Anyone have an inisght on this?

Thanks in advance,
Corvina - BANE of the scourge.
_________________
Flipthebird
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 am
I would err on the safe side and make sure your wow ui says you have the 540. Tankadin is still being worked on, correct? I could be behind the times with that statement though. Plus, I figure the mechanics of the game will work off what your WoW UI says and not what your Tankadin mod says.
_________________
Eroslight
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:31 am
Did something change in your gear and you just not check?

An easy fix is just +def to shield on that new shield of yours and yeah - you won't have to worry about it any more.

Thats all I can think of atm. as for raiding with 537 defense - I'd rather have the peace of mind that I can't be crit rather then risk the 1% chance of taking a 20k crit to the face from a boss. Just my thought.
Belloc
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 am
Sounds like you're crittable and somewhat lucky.

Then again, we didn't have any wipes from our MT dying by being a few points away from crittable on our first run. Of course, if you're doing 25-mans, it's a bit more dangerous. 10-man Naxx... I wouldn't really worry.
_________________
Belloc
Lore
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 am
You sure it didn't say 547?

Because 547 defense will give you 5.88% crit reduction (as well as miss/dodge/parry/block), which sounds like what your tooltip is saying

EDIT: Your armory does indeed have you at 537 defense, with the tooltip showing 5.48% reduction. Were you using a Flask of Fortification, perhaps?
_________________
Station wagons are my favorite things.
Corvina
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:04 am
No flask. Was Definitely at 537. I noticed it half way through last night and I plan to get the shield enchnt to get back to 540, regardless. In fact, i whispered one of our enchanters right before Mexxina(sp?) and tried to get the enchant right away.

Trust me I was bitting my nails the rest of the night waiting to be crit and a wipe be my fault.

Thanks for the insights, I mostly just wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything like this.

As far as Tankadin goes, (LOVE THE ADDON) I havn't updated since 3.0 (maybe 3.0.3 or 11/13/08, either way it's been a while) so Maybe i should update that.
_________________
towelliee
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 am
If one of your pieces of gear is broken does it take away that stat?
_________________
towelliee
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 am
maybe that was it a broken piece of gear?
_________________
Stinkpalm
Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:12 am
Be sure to check your tankadin settings.

There is a slider bar in the config menu that you can set to what mob level relative to yours you want crittability info for.

I had mine set to 0 while leveling just so i could easily see my crittability vs mobs my level and just add .2% in my head if i was doing above level content (which i most always was Very Happy)

So, what you want to do is type /tankadin then be sure the slider bar on the bottom is set to 3 (crittability stats for a mobs 3 levels above you, IE 'boss')

As im sure you know the formula. Its 5% crit reduction for a mob your level and .2% for each level the mob is above you.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Stinkpalm
Exalt
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 am
I've been noticing that (especially after a gear change, such as enchanting or gemming) the paper-doll gets confused. Nearly every time I've changed a piece of gear that I was wearing, I had to unequip it and then equip it again in order to see the actual stat change.

Best example is that I was at 541 def before swapping out a Thick Autumn's Glow for a Thick Dragon's Eye on my pants. After the swap I was at 536 def until I took the pants off and equipped them again... at which point I was up to 544 or so.

The numbers are ball-park b/c my memory is terrible, but the gist of it is that I was above cap, put in a gem with more def and got dropped below cap until the gear swap.... I haven't checked to see if it's just a paper-doll error or if I was *actually* below cap for that period, but yeah, that could be what you ran into.
_________________
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Kracus
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:18 pm
I check both.

I noticed when I took my old badge libram off tankadin wouldn't properly list my avoidance when I hit holy shield. Went back to the macro.

I haven't noticed with the defense number though. Other than the previous crushing stat I noticed displaying a different number in my attackpower than the character sheet. Figured it was being worked out.
_________________

Your mom is a 6 pull.