Skip to content
Maintankadin

Wrath Tanking Gear - Expertise and +Hit

Doxa
Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 am

Wrath Tanking Gear - Expertise and +Hit

I've been browsing through the WotLK tanking gear and see lots of expertise but very little +hit. Am I mistaken in thinking that this would be much more beneficial for warrors/druids/DKs and possibly problematic for tankadins?
Majiben
Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:50 am
It could be. With talents and the SoV glyph you'll be at 16 expertise. The soft cap on expertise is 24 (assuing the high number of 6% dodge chance for a raid boss, likely a bit lower). It doesn't take much expertise rating to get that last 8 expertise skill at which point expertise is only half as effective. Given the human or dwarf racials you could hit the soft cap with one piece of expertise gear.

Don't forget that this is early gear in the expansion and the stats may very well change when new gear is released.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Majiben
Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:17 am
Shor can't be parried or dodged. You forgot to include white damage as parriable attack we do. White damage is not a significant source of threat for us and increasing it's likelyhood that it will connect is wothwhile even if it is not a high priority. Plus reducing parries reduces the average damage taken per second.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Excess
Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:35 am
My hit has been declining steadily as well, from a solid 4-5% down to under 2% now. While it is true that we'll probably see more hit on gear towards the 80 end of the curve, meant to gear us up for raiding, I suspect there will be a shortage.

Gems are a possibility, of course, particularly if there ends up being a hit/stam hybrid gem. Enchants are also worth a second look. Unfortunately, as a libram can't have a scope slapped on it (which is a fault, methinks), we're S.O.L. for weapon enchants. Gloves are a loaded slot atm, with several different options:
+15 Str (good threat, some BV mitigation/EH);
Armsman (2% threat and 10 parry rating);
Crusher (44 AP - mediocre...good threat but no mitigation or avoidance); Expertise (15 Exp - ironically);
Major Agility (+20 agi - a bit of dodge, armor, and crit);
and finally Precision (15 hit).

I'm starting to think gloves might should be unclogged as an enchant center...maybe shift some of the load to typically under utilized areas - i.e. boots and maybe chest. Boots on the other hand besides some stam or run speed options mainly gives us the new Surefooted to help cover our hit losses: 10 hit and 10 crit.

Either way, hoping we see some itemization on this soon.
Majiben
Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am
This one has more hit and I keep bugging petrus to add it to his list.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Petrus
Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:11 am
I added it. Now, will it be more desirable than Potency for us? I have noticed a LOT of misses lately, especially since I got rid of my Pendant of Titans and Aldori Legacy Defender, both of which had Hit on them.
_________________
Majiben
Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am
It likely will still lose to potency but it does have the potentail to scale better.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Splug
Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 am
Actually, death knights are pretty hit-hungry too. Dual wielding will make expertise valuable as a mitigative stat (so many attacks to parry...) but for threat, I think hit actually comes up better for my current spec. I haven't run calculations on it yet, but more than a third of my damage is from spells that cannot be parried.

-Splug
_________________
(usually) prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
djlar
Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 am
I'm also leveling a combat rogue, and all the new stuff has either haste rating or armor penetration rating, with tons of Attack Power, so it's being bad at both my toons, but I have to pick up the new gear or get my lvl 70 gear obsolete quite fast..