Skip to content
Maintankadin

3.0 weapon AP vs SP (math!)

roosevelt
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

3.0 weapon AP vs SP (math!)

I did this initially for my own sake but thought people might be interested. Apologies if something similar has already been done.

I was trying to find out what weapon to use for 3.0. What I did was compare attack power and spell power coefficients for SoV and judgement. Consecration and avenger's shield have equal SP and AP coefficients, so I left them out. I included HotR and would love to do HS and/or ret aura if anyone knows if/how those scale.

Seal of Vengeance (assumed 5 stack)
1 SP = 0.0956 TPS (6*0.016*1.1*1.9*1.43*1/15)
1 AP = 0.1912 TPS (6*0.032*1.1*1.9*1.43*1/15)

Judgement (assumed 5 stack SoV, judged every 9 sec)
1 SP = 0.1394 TPS (0.28*1.5*1.1*1.9*1.43*1/9)
1 AP = 0.0871 TPS (0.175*1.5*1.1*1.9*1.43*1/9)

Hammer of the Righteous
On PTR this was doing 4x weapon damage, I assume its going live that way (the wowhead and in game tool tip read 3x)
1 SP = 0.000 TPS (0)
1 AP = 0.8359 TPS (4*1.1*1.9*1.43*1/14)
(1 weapon dps = 11.95 TPS) (4*1.1*1.9*4.3)

Assuming 5/5 one hand weapon spec and 0/5 seals of the pure, as well as righteous fury up.

SP: 0.235 TPS
AP: 1.132 TPS

This is from just these 3 abilities where the coefficients are different.

This doesn't factor in threat from "white damage" that will be mitigated by armor differently or critical hits from judgement and HotR. I believe both do 2x damage on crit, so this further tilts the scales in favor of a high DPS weapon with str/AP.
_________________
kylone
Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:42 pm
Nice. Smile
If I recall corrcetly, it's 7 AP = 1 dps, so I'm wondering about the discrepancy your data shows, for HotR. I thought for a moment that the 4xdps could ecplain this, but both values should be multiplied by that amount. Any theorycrafters out there have a clue here?
_________________
Lv 70 Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
(kinda sorta inactive due to overseas deployment, atm)
roosevelt
Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 pm
For HotR I used:

(1/14) * 4 * 1.1 * 1.9

1/14 because it takes 14ap to make 1 dps

4 because HotR does 4x DPS

1.1 for 10% from 1h weapon spec

1.9 because RF adds 90% threat


dunno what I did there but I'll fix it
_________________
roosevelt
Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 pm
Forgot about that. Is it multiplicative with RF (1.9*1.43) or additive (1.9+1.43)?

Added it in as multiplicative and posted calculations.
_________________
PsiVen
Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:50 pm
It's multiplicative. That said:

- When comparing, there is really no point in bothering with it or 1HWS because they affect everything equally, and the coefficients will probably be nice even numbers before talents muck it up.

- The ratio you gave is invalid because it does not consider other abilities which scale more equally. AP is closer to 50% better than SP, it's not seven times as good.
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 80 Tankadin
Rival Psivenia, 70 Warriorlol
Psivenne, 60 Bare

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
roosevelt
Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:58 pm
All the multipliers affect them both equally. However, if AP causes a tiny bit more damage then the difference gets multiplied.

What are the other abilities that fit in our normal rotation and what are the coefficients? I couldn't find anything for ret aura or holy shield.

Consecration and avenger's shield are exactly equal. I guess I should have included them but if HotR stays at 4x its pretty inescapable that dps or tank weapons win. I'll take the ratio out.
_________________