Skip to content
Maintankadin

Pre-raid Tanking: Theories, Goals and the Gear to Get There

Dreamcrusher
Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Fixed, thanks.
_________________
<3
lirael
Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Hi
very good post! i have been looking for something like that for a while.

in general terms, how would you gear up for 5 man, 5 man hero and raid?

Correct me if i am wrong (all of that with good hp):
- 5 man: spell damage for aggro and AoE the whole lot of mobs
- 5 man hero: a mix of spell dam (up to 250) and the rest to have 490 def and uncrush
- raid: maximise the avoidance

thanks

Lirael
_________________
Paladin 70
lirael
Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:28 am
So since i am very unlikely to raid, you are telling me that i have wasted my time getting enough great to be uncrush / uncrit!
life can be so hard some times...
_________________
Paladin 70
rony
Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39 am
This is my first pally and I really had no clue how to gear for tanking until I found this site, so first of all I just want to say thank you Very Happy

I have two questions. First of all, I am collecting pieces for a raid tanking set and a 5 man set like you suggested. In my raiding set I believe I am uncrittable and uncrushable. In my 5 man set so far I am neither. I have more pieces of the raid set than I do of the 5 man set. I have been tanking 5 mans in my raid tanking set, however I noticed that you said it is better to give up some mitigation to make the instance go faster. Does this mean I should be tanking 5 mans in my 5 man set even while still critable? Or does this mean I should stick with my raiding set until I have enough pieces of the 5 man set to make me uncritable?

Second question is the formula for uncrushable. One post says to add 10 + 0.04(def-490) to your dodge/block/parry. Does this mean to add that on top of the 5 for the mob's miss rate? In other words would the formula be my miss(from mouseover of defense) + 5 + 10 + .04(def-490) + D/B/P or do I have too many numbers in there?

Thanks
_________________
Rony - 70 - Draka
Girard
Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:05 pm
My own addition would be.. "Targets". Certain things you should reach outside of just uncrushable/uncrittable.

For instance, Entering in a T4 instance (Kara, GL, ML) you should be at these points unbuffed:

Bare-minimum: 9k HP, 121 +Dmg, 13.5k armor, <1% crit, <1%crush
Average: 10k HP, 160 +dmg, 14k armor
Ideal: 11k HP, 200 +dmg, 14.5k armor
OMG: 12K HP, >200 +dmg and 15k armor.

T5 (SSC/TK) I would strive for:
Bare-minium: 11k HP, 200+dmg, 14.5k armor
Average: 12k HP, 300 +dmg, 15k armor
Ideal: 13k HP, 400 +dmg, 15.5k armor
OMG: 14k HP, >400 +dmg, 16k armor

T6:
Bare-minimum: 12k HP, 400 +dmg, 15.5k armor
Average: 13k HP, 450 +dmg, 16k armor
Ideal: 13.5k HP, 500 +dmg, 16.5k armor
OMG: 14k hp, >500 +dmg, 17k armor

Bare-minimum being a point that you could do, but are so well below the raid's needs that you're a liability. Only really acceptable for raids your guild has on farm and they're gearing you up.

Average being where most people are with proper effort and decent luck.

Ideal for where you want to be to be a real contender, you've worked hard to get the gear you have and haven't skimped out on the enchants.

OMG is a theoretical possibility that could be acheivable if you were obsessed.


**Note ** the numbers post Kara are largely ones I thought up in my head and may or may not be accurate.
_________________
rony
Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:33 am
Thanks for all the info Very Happy Makes it a lot easier to make sure I am prepared. We are starting Kara this week, and it looks like because of this site I am ready to go. Thanks a bunch.
_________________
Rony - 70 - Draka
Judithmari
Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm
I'm gonna like this site... Smile
_________________
roy7
Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:28 am
I'd also like to suggest you include Shield of the Wayward Footman, Crystalforged Sword, and Boots of the Protector. I've bought both of those off the AH, have the Boots pattern ready to go, and also had a Bracers of the Green Fortress crafted. I'm only level 49 but I'm planning ahead. Smile

As others mentioned, the sword and shield both provide block rating which is the easiest stat to get while working towards uncrushable. I expected to use those items for most if not all of my 5-man needs.
_________________
[img]http://www.rpgoutfitter.com/?c=Maarken@US-Smolderthorn[/img]
Onaga
Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:23 am
Now I notice for back, Devil-shark Cape is listed but theres no mention of Ironscale War cloak ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Ironscale_War_Cloak )

Is Devilshark that much better than Ironscale?
_________________