Skip to content
Maintankadin

Enchanting Your Gloves: 2% vs 20 +dmg vs Mitigation

Moses
Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:08 am
I may be wrong in pure numbers but I prefer the 20 spell damage enchant. Although it would net me (t4ish gear) slightly more threat to get 2% threat is actually increases my dps more to have 20 spell damage. I'm in T4 gloves though which are already a spell damage heavy piece. Once I get a some better boss tanking gloves I plan to get 240 armor (as most bosses seem to use melee hits).

As always I feel enchant gear to it's strengths and then swap out as needed.

Oh yeah and wtb more bag space.
_________________
Ciandin
Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 am
I have 20sd on my T4 also because of the soloing factor. If I ever do see Maiden's drop, I'll either be going with threat or an armor kit.
Legionp
Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm
Yall have any opinion between 15 agi and 240 armor? Or is 15 agi not even on the radar as paladins. My warrior companions all get 15 agi, but i suppose that is because they get a threat increase from it as well.
Lakirby
Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:46 am
20 spelldmg on T4
10 stam on Maiden
2% Threat on T6

Used for different things, though I can probably junk my T4 completely.
_________________
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Tyaera
Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 pm
I see Invis using Bonefist Gauntlets there.

What are the advantages to them over Maiden's?
_________________
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Crittoris
Sun May 04, 2008 10:12 pm
about effective health:
armor will help you survive burst melee dmg, as well as decrease the net damage you take. If your healers are running out of mana and you're in trouble from burst damage, then stamina only fixes one of those issues while armor fixes both. HOWEVER, in fights where burst spell dmg is the problem, armor does nothing.

At gear levels when X armor = Y stam in terms of effective health bonus, you'd want X if your healers are running out of mana and Y if there's any spell damage. If you're running out of mana, Y is better for you than X.

In most cases, this is a nonissue. You'll want 2% threat on your gloves. Period.
_________________
Saviorself - 70 priest
Expriest - 70 warrior
Wafflez - 63ish priest
Crittoris - 70 FINALLY!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Firetree&n=Crittoris
Janduin
Mon May 05, 2008 2:20 am
I disenchanted my Maiden gloves the other day. What situation are you using them over T6 (Kael maybe?). Assuming you are gemming both with epic stam gems, and even if you put 10 stam on Maidens gloves they will only give you 20 stam more than T6, and that's at a cost of (probably) 2% threat and a ton of avoidance and spell damage.

I guess the block value is nice. Are you using them in your block value set?

Hope I didn't make a mistake disenchanting the Maiden gloves Sad
_________________
Sarkan-ZdC
Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 am
Do it the other way arround. Take a very bad situation. Spike damage.

Azalgor does Auto-Hits of 7-8k on Plate (according to bosskillers, we have our Bear tank him, but lets take this) and a cleave of about 10k.

I took 20.000 Raw Damage and 27500 Raw Damage for those attacks.

(Simplified. No -Blocking and no -6% Damage. Should make no difference Rolling Eyes )

%Reduction for 73 = (Armor / (Armor + 11960)) * 100

20000 = 0,626 Reduktion
20240 = 0,629 Reduktion

With 20k Armor (assum you chuck potions for extra armor..)

7484 Auto + 10291 Cleave (Azalgor Parries) + (hasted) 7484 Auto = 25260 (hope you have some HoTs ticking..)

Now you have 20.240 Armor

7429 Auto + 10214 Cleave (Azalgor Parries) + (hasted) 7429 = 25071

Which is about 188 Damage less.

So, on average, you get a lot less damage over a long fight (where the extra 10 Stamina does...nothing..) and when it really counts: you survive more (more EH) with 240 Armor.

+10 Stamina is just if you feel good about huge HP numbers. But then you will also socket Blue +15 Sta Gems in all your gear and feel good about Smile
Averroes
Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 am
Im finding 2% threat on my gloves rather than 20 spell damage a lot better recently.
_________________
~Retired~
Sarkan-ZdC
Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am
I have 2% Threat on my T5 Gloves. But on T6 (killed him last week for the first time, but he did not drop the paladin token) I'm still not sure.

I would like to have 2 Gloves:

Set 1: +15 Sta Gem + 240 Armor
Set 2: +6 Spelldamage / +7 Sta + 2% Threat

But that will take a long time *g*

So I'll probably take Set 2 if it drops.