Skip to content
Maintankadin

A Tankadin's Guide to Healing Gear

Kaelie
Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 pm
Amulet of the Shifting Sands is pretty good too, if you can scrape together a few people who will let you loot Ossirian's head. AQ20 is ezmode at 70.
_________________

Jirroll
Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:35 am
Hey guys,


Just found this thread, and had some questions.

I am a longtime shockadin/healer with my Paladin, been doing that a looong time. Recently though (and you may of seen some of my posts on it) I got into trying taking for a change of pace, and something new. Been gearing for a long time for tank gear (even though I actually use it very little it seems) and an proud of the set of built.

Recently I completed one of my big personal goals, an epic flyer and then maxing engineering to make the epic copter. So now that I'm done with my little things, this week I decided to spec as prot and STAY that way for a few days, to see what it's like while doing dailies, etc.

What I am getting at asking is, is this guide intended for Prot Tankadins who want to heal AS PROT?

Last night I just happened to see a group needing a healer for the last boss of SV. Since I still needed the Devilshark Cape, I offered to go. Prot Paladin in healing gear. My gear is ALL Kara or Badge, and as a Prot my healing is 1760 unbuffed. I went and healed and we beat him, but it was very close. In the end, a few judgements from me practically soloing the boss at the last 10% is the only way we won... it was messy.


My heals seemed ALOT less potent than when I was holy. It just makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong or if this is just how it is being a prot trying to heal. My healing with Holy is 1901 unbuffed and my flashes average 1800. As prot, I was barely hitting 1200, or lower.

No way in heck I could heal a heroic or even "Get away" with going to our weekly Kara as prot but healing like I usually do. I was thinking no one would probably notice. But they'd notice!

Well I suppose respeccing once a week aint so bad. I still wanna stay Prot and fully practice it for a few days. Most of my tanking practice has been while staying Holy, which is fine for non heroics. But I wanna be prot now to get the full benefit of it, with the unique skills it comes with, sheild, etc.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts welcome.
Jirroll
Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:26 am
Yeah thanks for the input.

Might just actually TANK while I'm prot and not heal. My brother has a priest and is almost always in tow anyway. I was using FoL last night, I was just stunned at their drop in effectiveness.

I can tank non heroics no problem in tank gear being Holy. However it seems the opposite, healing as Prot, isn't nearly as cut and dry.

By the way, I DID get the Devilshark Cape last night finally, which made it all worth it. After adding Dodge to it, I'm at like 104% something uncrittable. Search me in the Armory as my name, I'm the only one. Sorry can't link it at work.

Gear pieces I still really want (and are damn elusive) are the trinket from SH and Righteous Shoulders. (I need the spell damage help.) And I'm slowly working towards the season 1 Gavel...but man I hate pvp.
Jirroll
Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am
They do so! I saw them...


Bigfoot had them on.


I want gavel. My spell damage el sucko's right now. I have a whopping 2 items contributing to it. My T4 Gloves and my Greatsword of Horrid Dreams I feel like I've had since the dawn of time...
koldawne
Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:25 pm
Great guide Smile

I sold all the healing gear I had - most of it was from pre-60 anyways. I 'may' pick up some more but I really try to avoid it. I have no desire at all to be a healer as a Paladin.
_________________
Arianne
Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:53 pm
If you didn't have heal gear as a prot paladin, I wouldn't take you on my raids. There are a lot of single target fights and quite a few are more desirable for a warrior or bear to tank. Prot paladin 'DPS' doesn't exist and healing is at least somewhat beneficial.
_________________
~Lightbringer~
Arianne - 70 Paladin - Protection
Sayvil - 70 Priest - Holy
Lakirby
Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:13 am
Fugly as hell, but the Boots of Resuscitation from normal Magister's Terrace would be worth adding to this. I have these gemmed with 2x 9 heal/2mp5 gems and enchanted with Vitality. My only issue is that they are ugly as hell Evil or Very Mad
_________________
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
s4dfish
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 am
The blue PvP gear from reputation is a nice starting spot for pally's looking to gear up their off-spec set. It's not on the same level as the gear mentioned above (presence of spell crit, lost iValue to Resilience) but it's better than nothing.
_________________
http://worldofs4dfish.blogspot.com
Aedan
Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:26 am
I was actually just asking about that pvp gear in the other sticky - if socketed with a bunch of mp5, would it make a decent enough healing set for a prot pally OT? At least for Kara?
_________________

Zodijackyl - Caelestrasz