Skip to content
Maintankadin

Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Petrus
Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Yeah, all of the items are twinned and have different names for each faction (different icons/models as well). I was looking at the precedent I set for things like the axe from the Argent Tournament, where I had to list an item for each faction so I just separated them but put the same source down, and I'll probably just continue with that.
Elsie
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Sputterduck wrote:
ticklefist wrote:
Majiben wrote:I suppose you would trade 540 defense out for 30% more avoidance?


If it didn't leave us mana starved we all would =P

I wouldn't

I'd gladly trade 540 defense for 30% avoidance (assuming that's a relative gain and all). I'd be around 87% avoidance, then drop around 7% avoidance for some resilience. I could learn to live with the occasional daze since if you're strafing properly you don't get dazed anyway.

I declare /win.
mandm413
Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Great guide, have been using it since you posted it keep an updated copy by my computer.

I was going to suggest since you are updating it for 3.2 you might go ahead and add the things that can drop off of the bosses in vault as sources for some of the gear.

Thanks again
Petrus
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:37 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

That's a good point. I'm going to go over the whole thing on (probably) Tuesday and look to check for errors. I'll fix errors, add any tier pieces that can come from Vault, and then get to work on the 3.2 list.

And just to check: Archavon and Emalon can both drop Gloves, Chest, Legs only? I know neither drops helm or shoulders but I don't remember seeing any chestpieces from Emalon so I might be wrong on him.
Elsie
Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Petrus wrote:That's a good point. I'm going to go over the whole thing on (probably) Tuesday and look to check for errors. I'll fix errors, add any tier pieces that can come from Vault, and then get to work on the 3.2 list.

And just to check: Archavon and Emalon can both drop Gloves, Chest, Legs only? I know neither drops helm or shoulders but I don't remember seeing any chestpieces from Emalon so I might be wrong on him.

Emalon does not drop chest
Petrus
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Thank you.

Also, my account got hacked so updating this may take longer than I expected while I try to get everything back.
Barathorn
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:18 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Petrus wrote:Thank you.

Also, my account got hacked so updating this may take longer than I expected while I try to get everything back.


Really sorry to hear that Petrus. Hope it gets resolved soon for you.

Barathorn
Jasari
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Petrus wrote:Thank you.

Also, my account got hacked so updating this may take longer than I expected while I try to get everything back.


Same thing happened to a druid in my guild earlier this week. It sparked a discussion about authenticators and we started thinking that Blizzard should start including them with every purchase of WoW, it might actually save them money because they wouldn't have to spend time investigating nearly as many account hacks.

I'm sure you'll get your stuff back, it's just a pain to wait while it gets sorted out.
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Speaking of being hacked... some idiot in my guild has been hacked 6 times. I'd wondered why he seemed so blase' about it this recent time. I didn't know that this was a regular occurence for him. Ugh.
Petrus
Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I've been trying to figure out the problem - keylogger, virus, etc. - but it happened while I was using my mac laptop. I've done virus scans, analyzed network traffic, and even got a program called Little Snitch that makes it so I can manually allow every network connection. Nothing suspicious came up... and that's the weirdest part. I actually got it hacked twice - I changed my email address and password (it was on a battle.net account), and within an hour it was hacked again and they had the new email address and new password, though I wonder if they didn't just stay logged in somehow and reset it from the CP on b.net's site. So Blizz detached my WoW account from my B.net account, but parental controls were turned on, so I had to fill out a form and send in my driver's license and everything to get that control back, and I'm still waiting to hear about that part.

And I'd get an authenticator but they're sold out. WTB more authenticators in stock.


On topic, I should have the final "draft" of the 3.1 list today or tomorrow sometime, I guess. First draft of the 3.2 list should be sometime next week.

Oh and the first draft of the 3.2 list will include me possibly re-weighting some things because parry isn't as sucky anymore.
Digren
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Using Safari or Firefox on the Mac? Who's your email provider? How do you get your net connection? Are you wireless, and is your wireless router up to date?

Did you install anything recently? Any WoW-related software at all? Have any "friends" borrowed your computer? Had access to it or your house/room when you weren't watching it?

For me an authenticator solves nothing. If someone is sniffing my keyboard they could get into my bank and savings accounts, so any intrusion is completely unacceptable.

I use Firefox on a Mac with noscript because I think it's a low-likelihood threat vector.

Edit: Woo! Eleven thousandth post in the gear discussion forum!
Petrus
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Digren wrote:Using Safari or Firefox on the Mac? Who's your email provider? How do you get your net connection? Are you wireless, and is your wireless router up to date?


Firefox with adblockplus and noscript. My email provider is my family - my cousin runs our webserver. My net connection is wireless, the router is up to date, and it is WEP encrypted. The first time I was hacked it was at home. The second time was at work and the battle.net account was attached to a google email account.

Did you install anything recently? Any WoW-related software at all? Have any "friends" borrowed your computer? Had access to it or your house/room when you weren't watching it?


I have not installed anything recently (other than virus scanners, etc. after this happened). The only person who ever uses my computer is me. Absolutely no one had access to it; I have it with me at all times.

For me an authenticator solves nothing. If someone is sniffing my keyboard they could get into my bank and savings accounts, so any intrusion is completely unacceptable.


I changed all of my passwords for everything just in case, and telnetted into my email account and changed it. Nothing yet makes sense with this, but I'm trying to fix it.


And on-topic, I'm at work right now playing with the 3.1 list in down time.

I'd like some opinions, however, on how to weight parry against dodge in the 3.2 ratings. Currently I weight dodge as far better than parry, and "ideal" avoidance-type pieces usually have def/dodge/parry on them, but a piece with def/dodge is obviously better than def/parry. In 3.2, dodge will still be better but only because it decays more slowly. Should I still weight dodge as better than parry and if so really how heavily should it be weighted? Something like Greaves of the Stonewarder (the boots that are Def/Parry/BV from Ulduar25 trash) would gain under the new way I weight gear for this list.
Elsie
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I'd like some opinions, however, on how to weight parry against dodge in the 3.2 ratings. Currently I weight dodge as far better than parry, and "ideal" avoidance-type pieces usually have def/dodge/parry on them, but a piece with def/dodge is obviously better than def/parry. In 3.2, dodge will still be better but only because it decays more slowly. Should I still weight dodge as better than parry and if so really how heavily should it be weighted? Something like Greaves of the Stonewarder (the boots that are Def/Parry/BV from Ulduar25 trash) would gain under the new way I weight gear for this list.

The current 3.2 ratio is, iirc, 2.4 defense : 1.88 dodge : 1 parry. But you can't simply use the equation to weight items. I would say, though, that I'm more inclined to take a defense/dodge/parry item now. Parry may be hit by the DR more, but there's a DR on items for stacking one type of rating or stat anyway. Thus, if I'm not mistaken, an item with all 3 stats will always have higher avoidance than one with two of the three. After that, just go by stamina.

For what it's worth, you could find out exactly by running the above equation with the item stat value equations and find out exactly which is 'strictly statistically' overall optimal - though that says nothing about which one is better for a stam set or whatnot.
Majiben
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:42 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

The parry question gets much tougher in 3.2 since it shares the same starting conversion and with it's new found appeal the amounts on people's gear will change from minimal to highly variable. The ugly and perhaps simplest is to run the numbers for both a high parry and low parry gear set, ranking the item twice. Now this mostly applies to items without the avoidance trifecta like http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45874 and especially items like http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45542
Petrus
Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I'm working to find everything I can about 3.2's items. Wowhead isn't the fastest at updating their links with new items, and some things are still unnamed (i.e. "Crusader Coliseum 10 Tank Belt" etc.). I'm going to start checking MMO-Champion's links as well, but are there any websites with more complete lists of loot (perhaps with names, even temporary names)? I've got the final 3.1 list done and will update to the 3.2 list when it hits but the 3.2 list isn't complete yet (other than the re-weighting of the pre-3.2 items).