Skip to content
Maintankadin

A Tankadin's Guide to Healing Gear

Vanifae
Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:32 pm
I support this thread.

Although since I was the only paladin in our guild's early runs I got alot of Kara plate gear by default.
_________________
holysoldier
Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 am
First off great guide, i've been trying to scrap a healing set together and this guy will help alot. i was wondering what you guys think should be the goal for +heal and +mp5 as well as a mana pool for doing normal 5-mans? I've been asked to heal before in normal 5-mans and haven't done it yet cause i'm not confident in my gear. Right now my +heal is about 450 and my mp5 is about 40ish. my mana pool is about 9k. Thanks

Holy
_________________

Whatever you are, be a great one.
-Abe Lincoln
Teah
Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:29 am
Great job! You really hit the mark on putting together a healing set with zero points in holy. However I found that since I heal A LOT as an off-tank in my guild I changed my build as well.

After doing some experimentation I noticed that with 20 points in holy you can keep up with a holy paladin with similar gear. Or at least I have been able to. Usually I'm right under the other paladins and the druid in 25 mans. Now you have to sacrifice some avoidance for this so I wouldn't recommend it until you have the gear available to you to make up for it. I just think 20 points in holy is also something to consider depending on how much you are healing for your guild. PUG's don't count.

Smile
Cames
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:58 am
One thing that you often need to remind raid leaders is that you can effectively heal, you have 3 limitations compared to Holy Paladins:

1 - Your Heals are likely interruptable (unless you went Prot/Holy and dropped Parry). This hurts a lot on fights like Illhoof.

2 - You can not pump out the HPS of a Holy Paladin for your lack of Light's Grace.

3 - You will have a much more limited effective mana pool because of (again assuming you are NOT Prot/Holy), the loss of Illumination and the crit talents.

I end up carrying my healing gear and my tanking gear to all raids and adjust myself based on the needs of a given boss. My guild has geared me up on both fronts and my guild leader really likes me in that flex position.
_________________
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Lore
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 am
Oddly enough, most of the Holy pallies in my raid seem to stick almost exclusively to FoL spam. Most of the time they don't even keep Light's Grace up. I'm not sure if that's because FoL is more effective or if they're just bad (I honestly don't know much about Paladin healing) but it does mean as long as I can keep a similar FoL spam going I'm doing just as well as they are.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
matchbox
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 am
FoL is best to cast because it cost almost no mana and heals for around 1.5k as to HoL cost somewhere under 900 mana and heals for around 4k
adese
Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:27 am
The main issue with FoL is that if you are main healing, it doesn't heal for enough to keep up with the incoming flow of damage (at least in my experience). While HL can, its slow cast really hurts...hence Light's Grace making HL feasible to cast without giving your tank a heart attack.

Granted, I've never main healed in BC (was Holy pre-BC), and back before BC hit most Pallies just spammed FoL due to the long cast time of HL. I just know that the Holy Pallies I run with tend to use HL quite a bit, but then again we're only in Kara/Gruul's - not anywhere near as progressed/geared as Lore's guild.
_________________

Cames
Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:52 pm
For MT healing, your Holy Pallies should be using Rank 4 Holy Light to keep Light's Grace active. For random raid healing, FoL spam is the best - as Rank 4 really only works if the target has BoLight. With Light's Grace, Holy Pallies can pump out more HPs than just about anybody - for a limited time (a lot less limited if they went 41 points in Holy).

When I heal now, I primarily FoL spam. But HL is a LOT better for high HPS times.

I spent up until about 4 weeks ago as Holy and we had a guild shakeup and a bunch of tanks quit. So, I have a pretty respectable set of Holy Gear and a getting there one of tank gear.
_________________
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Teah
Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:30 pm
Kinda off-topic but since you shouldn't be there as a main healer so your FoL spam should suffice. Even when I'm the only one on a target I find FoL spam with occasional HL keeps up my target just fine. Granted we don't stick one healer on the MT in 25 mans. You can easily coordinate with other healers to keep the tank up. Have one healer spam fast heal, another using the slower heal, and the third putting up hots.. etc.
Stoops417
Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:30 pm
+1 on the thanks for this thread. This is something that all tankadins should read, because unfortunately we can't tank all the time :/
_________________
Give a man an answer, and he'll ask another question tomorrow. Tell him to read the goddamn stickies and he might start thinking for himself.
Stoops417
Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:31 pm
Oh and also +1 to the /vote for an add to the sticky list.
_________________
Give a man an answer, and he'll ask another question tomorrow. Tell him to read the goddamn stickies and he might start thinking for himself.
Dorvan
Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:38 pm
stuck
_________________
Eanin
Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:47 pm
Dorvan, the wowhead search you posted is broken now that all healing gear also gives spelldamage. It returns no items.
_________________