Skip to content
Maintankadin

Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Aenema
Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Salamandra wrote:But my previous post just explained that... you don't get 40k impale direct damages. At most I got 28.8k on 25-man heroic. My max dot tick was FAR more than that, and the dot ticks much more often than you get impales.

My point was to show that not only is the dot not insignificant to the direct damage, it actually does a hell of a lot more damage, also comes in conjunction with melee hits, and that stacking armor is bollocks compared to stacking stamina for the reason of the bleed. Stamina helps with both, armor does not.



I do not want to be a nitpick but does those numbers equate to the same balance in dmg on 10 mans?

I.E is it the dot or the actual impale that does the most dmg over time in a 10 man encounter.

It would feel like the mechanic had to change in some way due to the fact that bringing 3 tanks in a 10 man enviroment feels utterly stupid design by blizzard.. (This to avoid too many dot stacks on the tanks)
Salamandra
Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

I'm pretty sure I could single-tank 25-man heroic (albeit with huge damage intake, like is shown on the wmo earlier in the thread). You can just have it as each tank takes 4 stacks. It's not complicated and certainly doesn't require 3 tanks.

I'll try to find a wmo of a non-extreme example on 10-man heroic.

Edit: Okay, the WMO of when I did 10-man heroic doesn't seem to contain any totc stuff. I'd be very surprised if the dot and the direct damage were hugely different in scaling.
Aenema
Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Salamandra wrote:I'm pretty sure I could single-tank 25-man heroic (albeit with huge damage intake, like is shown on the wmo earlier in the thread). You can just have it as each tank takes 4 stacks. It's not complicated and certainly doesn't require 3 tanks.

I'll try to find a wmo of a non-extreme example on 10-man heroic.

Edit: Okay, the WMO of when I did 10-man heroic doesn't seem to contain any totc stuff. I'd be very surprised if the dot and the direct damage were hugely different in scaling.



Good to know, just heard from other that the dmg intake of tanks is humongous due to the impale+dot in there, thus it would be better using 3 tanks.

Good to know its 2 tankable even in 25 man.
Belloc
Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Keep in mind that it's not intended to have 7 stacks of impale on you. The fight is balanced around 2-3 tanks (I'd say 3), so you shouldn't have more than a 2 stack on you. That's not the 40k damage you're seeing :P

So, if someone dies and you're taking stacks that high, you're not doing the fight as intended and we really shouldn't be considering those scenarios since they aren't the norm, nor are they what any raid wants.
Melathys
Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

for me, its about what is the biggest upgrade from my current gear, with that said, i might be going for the shoulders next (have libram and ring already)

as it is, most of my gear is 226+, but i have the shoulders from h.toc. however, it is food for thought to look at upgrades in progression.
Honorshammer
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Melathys wrote:for me, its about what is the biggest upgrade from my current gear, with that said, i might be going for the shoulders next (have libram and ring already)

as it is, most of my gear is 226+, but i have the shoulders from h.toc. however, it is food for thought to look at upgrades in progression.


I absolutely agree that each person has to examine their own gear and determine what might be the biggest upgrade. However, for a 10 man Raider, you can make some safe assumptions as to what they probably have barring some lucky drops in VoA.

Helm and Chest = 226 from Emblems of Conquest
Shoulders, Gloves, and Legs = 219 Tier Gear
Rings = 219, possibly 226 if you could PuG Flame Leviathan
Libram = 219
Trinkets = King Llane, Furance Stone, Black Heart

And you'll note those assumptions in my gear guide which is why I have the Head and Chest last.
Barathorn
Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

I wish this was the case for me Honors, the RNG has been horrid to us for tanking drops this entire expansion. For those reliant on badge pieces I think a more realistic outlook on what we might have as 10 man raiders working on the last 5 bosses of Ulduar is,

Head/Chest - Tier 8.5
Shoulders - Solemn Watch
Gloves - 28 badge gloves
Legs - 39 badge legs
Waist - Crafted
Boots - Kyzoc's or Crafted
Cloak - Platinum Mesh
Bracers - FL10
Ring - Mark of the Relentless and JC Ring
Libram - LoO or dependant on EoT's possibly the + dodge Libram
Trinkets - Black Heart, EoG, Furnace Stone

Obviously as we finish off Ulduar it may come to pass that the above changes to what you have in your list :). Here is hoping so. I have already passed on T8 shoulders once though as I didn't consider them an upgrade. I see a lot of tanks in this sort or territory, the 9-10/14 Ulduar level.

Barathorn
Honorshammer
Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Barathorn wrote:
Head/Chest - Tier 8.5
Shoulders - Solemn Watch
Gloves - 28 badge gloves
Legs - 39 badge legs
Waist - Crafted
Boots - Kyzoc's or Crafted
Cloak - Platinum Mesh
Bracers - FL10
Ring - Mark of the Relentless and JC Ring
Libram - LoO or dependant on EoT's possibly the + dodge Libram
Trinkets - Black Heart, EoG, Furnace Stone


So let's take this as a starting gear set and see if any of my recommendations would change. Let's review my intial recomendations:

Libram
Ring
Tier Hands
Tier Legs
Tier Shoulders
Tier Chest
Faceplate of the Honorbound
Trinket

I would still have the helm and chest last as those are your strongest pieces, but I'd switch the legs and hands up. I'm not a fan of the itemization of the 39 badge pants, but the 28 badges gloves are pretty good. There's still a good shot you'll have the Shoulders from Heroic ToChampion.

So even with the gear set given I think the pick order works, with a minor change.
KysenMurrin
Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

Bara's list is pretty much where I am atm, with the difference that I got T8.10 legs off our first Hodir kill and didn't go for the badge legs. My setup isn't likely to change much as we're on permanent Ulduar lockout until Yogg-Saron is down (we killed Mimiron last week). I do, however, agree with the purchase list as you have it there; I'm not entirely sold on the T9 legs' itemisation, but I'm not really aware of any alternatives that are as big an upgrade. So I, at least, will be following pretty close to this order (unless Koralon is generous).
Barathorn
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Guide: Emblem of Triumph Pick Order (10 man Raider Edition)

I despise the 39 badge legs, but they were a huge upgrade from the bolstered legguards and allowed me more freedom with my current gem selection.

I think you have it about right Honors.