Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Black Heart

Sanctify
Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: The Black Heart

I'm a huge fan of proc trinkets and for me The Black Heart has the best proc bar none (probably because I'm also a huge fan of armor).

Sure there are better trinkets out there stamina and avoidance wise, but for hard hitting melee bosses this must be close to best in slot. I pair it with Heart Of Iron for most things bar my threat set so I have finally retired my trusty JC trinket (a few hours after wasting 30 heroic badges regemming it). I dunno why so many people on here dislike the concept of double stamina. I personally don't see the point in losing out in 1200 - 1800 hit points for an extra 1-2% dodge if you are already in the high 20%'s dodge & parry wise unless its for a very specific application (eg. lolpatchwerk, or some of the Ulduar hard mode encounters).

Took me around 18 pugs to get it, it did actually drop on the very first run but a Mage won the roll for PvP because "arena > PVE" apparently (my reply.. lulz @ arena scrubs), anyway for the 17 subsequent runs I used master loot.
Corman
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Re: The Black Heart

Incredibly back of the envelope analysis:

presuming a base armor of 30,000 raid buffed:

17,000 incoming hit from a boss is reduced to 14,766 while the proc is active, based upon:

against level 83 boss, 30k armor = 0.64329 damage reduction, against level 83 boss, 37,065 armor = 0.69017 damage reduction

17,000/(1-0.643297)*(1-0.69017) = 14,765.8

Damage reduction of 2234 per strike while proc is active.

Presuming a tank has 60 percent avoidance (uld25 gear), an additional point of avoidance would provide 1/ (102.4 - 60) percent of damage damage reduction, presuming block capped, so about 2.36 percent damage reduction minus your block value.

So presume that hit of 17k, so only about 400 points of damage reduction - these numbers are slighty arbitrary and that 17k is post block so didnt take that into account in the first calc but block is applied after armor so if anything it would make it stronger.

So, it would appear to win out if it has anything over an 18 percent uptime over a single point of avoidance.

Oh, and it has a boatlaod of stamina. (Disclaimer - sloppy logic but can't write theses while on conf calls 8)
Ragingsoul
Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: The Black Heart

Sanctify wrote:I'm a huge fan of proc trinkets and for me The Black Heart has the best proc bar none (probably because I'm also a huge fan of armor).

Sure there are better trinkets out there stamina and avoidance wise, but for hard hitting melee bosses this must be close to best in slot. I pair it with Heart Of Iron for most things bar my threat set so I have finally retired my trusty JC trinket (a few hours after wasting 30 heroic badges regemming it). I dunno why so many people on here dislike the concept of double stamina. I personally don't see the point in losing out in 1200 - 1800 hit points for an extra 1-2% dodge if you are already in the high 20%'s dodge & parry wise unless its for a very specific application (eg. lolpatchwerk, or some of the Ulduar hard mode encounters).

Took me around 18 pugs to get it, it did actually drop on the very first run but a Mage won the roll for PvP because "arena > PVE" apparently (my reply.. lulz @ arena scrubs), anyway for the 17 subsequent runs I used master loot.

it's because after a certain point, putting more stamina becomes less important because you won't be able to survive another hit no matter how much you stack it.

When I tank XT hard mode25, he hits me for around 20k, and I have around 48k hp with 1 stam trinket. puting 1k more isn't gonna make me survive another hit, more dodge for exemple Ignis10men trinket with armor proc is much more intelligent to use to reduce the dmg income.
For exemple, using the 5k armor proc is almost reducing the dmg to 4k, and getting hit for 16k only.

Depends on the boss ofc, but if you get hit 3 times in a row and don't get any heals on XT hard mode during that time, then your healers are doing it wrong.

I don't consider XT a stamina fight, more a balanced EH, threat and avoidance fight. bubble wall + trinket+ The Black Heart=40sec, more than 1/3 of the time where dmg is reduce is something really nice. each tank has his preferences, depending on who is healing. (I have most of the time, 2 holy pala only focusing on me, with beacon).

Edit: Btw, the 20k average on hit was before the patch, with only 2 holy pala healing me (no 25% more armor proc, not even once.. ) and with the shity general's heat as a dodge trinket.

I got ignis10men last week, and we did 25men Ignis hard mode bugged, and average hit was only 17k now with an effective 60% dodge. I'm guessing next week it's gonna be even less with the Black Heart.
Sanctify
Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: The Black Heart

Ragingsoul wrote:
Sanctify wrote:I dunno why so many people on here dislike the concept of double stamina. I personally don't see the point in losing out in 1200 - 1800 hit points for an extra 1-2% dodge if you are already in the high 20%'s dodge & parry wise unless its for a very specific application (eg. lolpatchwerk, or some of the Ulduar hard mode encounters).


it's because after a certain point, putting more stamina becomes less important because you won't be able to survive another hit no matter how much you stack it.

When I tank XT hard mode25, he hits me for around 20k, and I have around 48k hp with 1 stam trinket. puting 1k more isn't gonna make me survive another hit, more dodge for exemple Ignis10men trinket with armor proc is much more intelligent to use to reduce the dmg income.
For exemple, using the 5k armor proc is almost reducing the dmg to 4k, and getting hit for 16k only.


I made the same point in my original post ie. that for certain encounters (eg. XT-002 hard mode) stacking avoidance makes perfect sense for the reasons you outline, however these are few at far between in my experience.
Ragingsoul
Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: The Black Heart

Sanctify wrote:I made the same point in my original post ie. that for certain encounters (eg. XT-002 hard mode) stacking avoidance makes perfect sense for the reasons you outline, however these are few at far between in my experience.

yeah, true, because XT is predictable. Thorium or Mimiron, HP is still better. Through I used the dodge trinket on Algalon this week, and use the 5k armor when taunting, which smooth the transition. I think I'm also using full stamina on Iron Council hard mode, but it depends.

In then end, the Black heart is really nice for fights like XT, because it's just mitigation. On fights were you want to use something at a specific time, I would more use the dodge trinket with armor on demand.
Candiru
Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: The Black Heart

Yeah, I'm swapping between Furnace stone, and The black heart at the moment. (heat of iron never leaves me)

On something like general Vezax, you want on-demand CDs. On something like YoggP3 tanking, the overall mitigation of the back heart and increased health seems more useful.