Skip to content
Maintankadin

Will the future bring new badge gear?

Somrael
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 pm
They might also adopt "Badge sink" items, just as they put in the hippogryph with CE just to give people something to blow money on. A badass mount or distinctive tabard would give people with hundreds of badges collecting dust *something* to put them towards. As for adding a new tier of badges, I somewhat doubt it; it might be more a matter of needing some kind of drop from within Ulduar or what have you (similar to the Sun items in Sunwell) to buy the next tier up, in addition to scores of badges. I won't lie, having a few new pieces will be nice, but I think that Blizzard can find a balance.
_________________
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Fedaykin98
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm
I hadn't even considered that they might make a badge mount, that would be cool.

I'm basically done with the Heroic badge gear for Prot, and considering whether to spend any on Ret gear or just take it when it comes to off-spec rolls, since dual-specs aren't here yet anyway.

Prot gear:

belt - have the one from H AzN, close enough until I get one from 25s.
trinket - I'd rather use EoG and get Repelling Charge
chest - bought it
hands - have Valorous from OS25
libram - this is the one that I will buy one of these days, but using the old one until I'm well past the block cap.

So I have over 100 badges just chillin' right now. For Ret I already have epic belt and hands from H UK and an offspec roll.

I'll probably buy the shoulders you send to your alt for 10% more XP one of these days, too. But sooner or later, we're going to have a zillion Heroic emblems laying around and nothing to use them on unless they introduce something.
_________________
Spectrum
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 pm
After getting my T7 chest from badges, getting belt and neck drops from Naxx10, and getting the KT gloves I suddenly realized badges weren't worth much to me. I ended up picking up the neck which I'm playing around with, and I picked up gloves I think. I'm back up to 80 badges and looking at just building a ret or holy set.

I just got the ring from DTK last night. I'm not even sure there are any more upgrades for me in any heroics. Or if so, they are very marginal. Of course, now that I'm not running four heroics every night I'm just working on an alt and I'll probably go back for achievements when helping alts.

The weirdest part is how heroics are now going out of style, as in once you get to be full ilvl 200+ there is no reason to run them.

Oh yeah, I have BoA shoulders for my leveling sham already too!
_________________


No really, I'm not addicted.
skythra
Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 pm
Im going to speculate and say it will be a merging of the two systems we've seen


there will be hero's and valorous badges and they wont be reset. But remembe when badge loot was introduced in 2.3? Yeah it was pretty okay loots. Remember how it was introduced again in 2.4? Yeah heaps better, and with it it cost a lot more badges.

I think we'll see the same thing again, where pieces will cost for T8 equivs almost double (or possibly more) of what the t7 is now. And that makes sense.

But again ill point out its speculation
_________________
/Skythar - 80 BE Tankadin Frostmourne
Mishakal
Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:09 pm
I think that they will add new emblems ...

However they could allow you to convert the emblems into the next tier ...

So use your EOH to buy EOV ... maybe a 5 to 1 conversion

Then they could allow a new emblem type which you could use EOV to buy...

This would allow the casual gamer over time to pick up any of the badge gear ... and give something for the crazies to spend the lower level badges on.
_________________
skythra
Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:58 pm
I might be wrong of course, but because its all speculation I wouldn't mind delving in a bit and thinking about it from what we've seen in the past. Apply it to mishkal because his suggestions hold some credit and would solve the problem. But is it the solution blizzard will use?

Majiben
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 pm
More likely for 10 man uldar being mostly 213 Ilevel and uldar 25 man being Ilevel 226 (tier gear will likely be the exception). Remember that blizzard has stated that they want a 10 man guild to be able to go to the next tier of raids without touching a 25 man and for 25 man guilds not to need the farming of 10 mans to be able to do 25 mans. Blizzard could renege on this but I don't think it's likely
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
Zibey
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:19 am
I never liked what happened in TBC - that from going sp daily you could end up with item that outperformed some t6 drops.
I have nothing against casual players - I am casual myself, work and univ let me log no earlier than 19 so I basically can only raid. And that is why I hate easy accessible badge welfare epics.
Our guild is nothing special, we didnt kill malygos on 25man yet, but we put lot of efford to make best use off our casual raiders, we devoted much time into making the guild, organising it, and then learning how to raid from scrach. So we raid, we get gear, we are proud of ourselves (yes - even if we are not in top 10 of server guilds, and content is quite easy, we enjoy working for our place on the server), and our stats.
And then some players who are not good enough to raid already easy content, and get already easy obtainable epics, but who can play 10h/day come and shine with higher stats. I hated it int TBC and refused to drop t5 items in favor of t6 badge crap, but I had to pay for it with lower performance compared to players who did.
They didnt deserve to have better gear than me and others like me.
So if they will introduce EoH items with higher Ilvl than 200 I am going to be disappointed.

My idea of how it should look like:
-New items from Emblems of Heroism - some new lvl 200 items, maybe one or two more tier items, many more heirloom items, gems, recipes (enchanting, bop bs recipes, jewelcrafting recipes, new flasks and stuff like that), mounts, fun-to-have items (stone teleporting yuo to naxx/ulduar/EoE?), pets NOTHING HIGHER THAN LVL 200
- New items from Emblems of Valor, maybe one more tier item per patch, and in later patches same story as with EoH... 3.2, 3.3 should bring new cool items. EoV should also drop in 10man ulduar. NOTHING HIGHER THAN LVL 213
- New badges from 25man ulduar, and as we progress in the story (new patches come out) - they'd share fate of lower badges. my type for name is Emblems or Ragnarok (end of gods - here titans Razz). NOTHING HIGHER THAN LVL 226

TL;DR I dont like noobs in overitemised badge gear, and that has nothing to do with being hardcore gamer or casual player.
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Majiben
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 am
I agree at this point in the expansion's life cycle that releasing powerful emblem gear is a mistake but there will come a point were it will be good for the community's well being. I know as someone who came into WoW near the end of TBC's life cycle that I would have been stagnated if I was absolutely required to run T4 to see T5 then finally T6.

And what about me who farmed the best gear from bagdes before ever stepping foot in Kara? Was I a scrub who was preforming better than a more deserving person because I didn't down one more boss in kara each week to gear up slowly, painfully and without certainty that I would see my drop much the less win it?

You must admit that badge gear allowed good players who were late to the party to compete with people who had been there since the beginning.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
Discus
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 am
TL;DR I dont like noobs in overitemised badge gear, and that has nothing to do with being hardcore gamer or casual player.

That was me in TBC Laughing I can see your point, but by the time I'd collected enough badges to get the decent T6-a-like gear you crazies had been in full sunwell gear for months, so we were still way behind and, ofc, hadn't seen half of what you guys had in terms of content.
Zibey
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 am
I disagree. China got TBC with BT already, and they cleared whole content in t3, whole current content was cleared in t6/sunwell gear + whatever they picked up on the run up to 80.
Gear is important and helps a lot, but you didint need t6 gear to go to t5 content, skip vashj and kael and then go t6 content. We went t6 content in t4/t5 gear and we were absolutely fine there. My guild never reached sunwell - like I say we are just a bunch of casuals.
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Majiben
Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:04 am
There's a difference between what is technically possible and what is had in mind. It was technically possible for a few guilds to clear T6 with T3 gear (FYI their tanks have TBC gear). I was also technically possible for a mage to solo 25 man naxx military wing. T5 gear with some T6 is what was in mind for doing well in BT&MH.

Who ever said anything about needing T6 gear for T5? Are you trying to be hyberbolic? Additionally the 2.4 badge gear wasn't a full set of T6 level gear. It was a few pieces. Hitting BT with a mix of T5, T6 and maybe a piece or two of T4 gear sounds exactly how it should be and that's how being using badge gear were geared. Say did you happen to clear out Vashj and Kael pre 3.0? Pre 2.4? Pre 2.3? If not, it can be argued that you guys were taking advantage of badge gear.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.