Skip to content
Maintankadin

New BS shield enchant?

Zibey
Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:31 am
I dont have to take vitamin pills you western weaklings Evil or Very Mad .
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Lewid
Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:19 pm
lmao if that last post was serious
_________________
Submit to freedom or be destroyed.
Zibey
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:52 am
It was to some degree. It's always fun to mock people with allergies and other lacks Razz.
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Majiben
Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 am
vitamens are suppplements that can allow you prosper on a nutrient poor diet.
_________________
Lore
Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 am
Vitamin talk is not for Gear Discussion and Guides forum.

I like the block value because, in current content, I can afford to lose the avoidance and bigger ShoR's make me happy. For overall damage reduction, Defense is still better, and I imagine I'll switch to it once it hits.
_________________
And the emperor still wears no clothes...
Eanin
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:35 pm
I really like the new shield enchant, but then again, I'm a huge mitigation guy. I won't be able to use it right now, since block gear seems to have lower defense, and I can't swap in any more avoidance pieces without losing my block cap (0.55% over block cap; 694 defense rating right now). However, this will probably be my long term enchant once defense is no longer an issue (probably with tCool.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm
This is why I pick up multiple shields (which would otherwise be sharded, etc etc)
_________________
theothersteve7
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:00 am
Hmm, interesting that you guys are saying the defense is better. I'd like to put up an argument for the block value.

BV is one of the best threat stats we have; second highest threat stat on single targets. Defense is not a good offensive stat. >_>

The threat charts.

That's a threat standpoint. Mitigation wise, .48% avoidance and .16% block pre-DR, versus 52 post-talent block? It's block value, so the obvious answer is that "it depends on how hard you're getting hit."

Let's pretend there's no DR, and the block rating is a perfect avoidance, tipping the scales drastically toward the Def enchant. 52 / 0.64% should give the point where the avoidance equalizes with the BR's reduction, ignoring the fact that BR means less spiky damage. ATTD or whatever it's called. It's at exactly 8,125 damage. (Edited: This is incorrect, read the later post)

So as long as you're uncrittable, block capped, and taking hits for 8k or less, the block rating seems very much superior. It'd be really messy to figure out the math for non-block capped tanks, but the numbers are similar if you're close to the cap.

Of course, if you need the Defense for uncrittable, this is a good place for it. I'd prefer gems though.
_________________
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 am
The numbers aren't similar for a nonblock capped tank. If you can still use the block chance the relative value of the defense enchant goes up and the value of the BV goes down. Also what avoidance are you assuming the tank has before you add in the defense enchant? Also is that 8k number before or after your other BV? I would like to see your math as well.
_________________
daemonym
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 am
i'll be keeping the defense enchant for a long long time and leaving the BV one for my heroic/trash set. i likes my avoidance.
_________________
towelliee
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 am
I am keeping Heros Surrender with the 20def enchant for single target boss fights and putting BV on my Wall of Terror.

Right now I have 2100 BV in Block set and 35% block maybe it will come in useful one of these days...COME ON BLIZZ MORE TRASH!
_________________
theothersteve7
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 am
Gah I forgot to calculate in avoidance. At 50% avoidance the number drops in half to around 4k. I'm still new at this.

The numbers should still be similar as long as the tank is close to the block cap. I suppose once you get around 8% away it'll start getting further off.

My math was a simple 52/0.64% = 8125. A 0.64% chance of preventing an attack effectively "blocks" (0.0064 * the damage dealt). The block is better because it's less spiky.

Do this to tune it to your gear:
8125 / (Your Avoidance) * (Blocked Hits / (1-Your Avoidance))

If the number is larger than the hits your expect to take, the BV enchant is probably a lot better for you. Again, this is without DR and stuff, it's just to get a feel of the balance.

By Your Avoidance I mean Dodge+Miss+Parry.

Quite probably still a little off.
_________________
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 pm
Basically, could be good for heroics, not so great for raid bosses. About what I expected.
_________________
Rokh
Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 am
Def actualy changes names after 540, it morphs into "Wastedstatpoints"