Skip to content
Maintankadin

Regarding Gear Advice Questions

Fridmarr
Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am
I'm just not so sure we are going to have an elegant solution on a "Gear" forum.

My concern with this idea is that we are merely shifting things around a bit. The distinction between the two forums is going to cause some confusion and so "Check my gear" posts are going to appear in both forums. Also, subforums aren't always all that obvious.

The vast majority of folks posting these threads improperly now, I would assume, haven't read the stickies and so are posting where they believe these threads should go. I imagine we'll still have those folks coming in here, with a big upsurge of them around the new expansion, at which point the gear stickies become out of date, and we may not always have a reference point for them.

I don't really have a good solution though.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Mcgrumpy
Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21 am
I like the separate "about my gear" forum. I just posted a question about my gear, and being on page 150 is a bit daunting.

Also without quoting, which in itself can become really intrusive, it can be really hard to tell who's reply to what post.

Having the focus of your own thread would be helpful in knowing which answers are yours.

And, well, it's hard to tell from the front page of the forum how many new questions have been posted. All you see is "Last Reply" Mcgrumpy. But there might have been 10 new posters since that viewer last checked. This would be alleviated by a separate forum where every one gets their own thread. 10 new questions is 10 easily seen new threads.

That my thoughts from a mouthy Johnny-come-lately.
brimstoner
Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 am
As a relatively new poster who has been lurking around here a long time, I would like to offer that I think this would be a great thing. I was one of those people who got in a question, had it answered, and then had it locked. I was disappointed because it was a generic gear question, but I probably made it more personal cause I added my own stats. Point being I think even the mods are confused about what should be locked sometimes since I was asking a question comparing two gear types in general, not just on myself but as a tankadin how would they compare. I hated that this thread was locked as it was definitely a legitimate question pertaining to the forum it was in, but was locked since I mistakenly listed my stats. I think witht the proposed switch it would be obvious to me as a poster not to make it personal if I am asking about a gear comparison. I wouldnt list my stats, that would belong in the gear check thread, not the gear comparison thread. I would love to see this happen.
_________________
Fridmarr
Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 am
Oh, as two main forums that would work a lot better than what I was thinking as a subforum. The trick is making it so obvious that without reading any instructions (because it's the folks who don't read them that are posting improperly), that folks generally post in the proper forum.

I didn't mean to suggest that valid gear discussions don't happen, just that they eventually become a smaller proportion of what gets posted.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Guillex
Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 am
I like the idea ... It's getting to be much, following the ebb and flow of the advice sticky, while directing people who have posted "what do I need to do now" threads.

I had a thought about an interactive wiki, but that might be something a bit too involved to get into at the moment.

Two forums would work, and being able to point people in the right direction if they've posted in the wrong place is definitely easier.

It has to be generally accepted by all the "vets", though, that people ARE going to post the right questions in the wrong forum. We just have to be prepared for that.

I say do it, and make the gear sub-section also. Might make traffic a bit easier to direct, too.
_________________
Official thread killer