Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ratanna's Best-in-Slot WotLK Guide.

aleyona
Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 pm
Ratanna...

This is my ideal list for best in slot.

Helm Helm of Vital Protection
Neck Nexus War Champion Beads
Shoulders Valarous Redemption Shoulderguards
Cloak Platinum Mesh Cloak
Chest Dragonstorm Breastplate
Wrists Bracers of the Unholy Knight
Hands Gauntlets of the Disobedient
Waist Ablative Chitin Girdle
Legs Valorous Redemption Legguards
Feet Kyzoc's Ground Stompers
Ring 1 Signet of the Impregnable Fortress
Ring 2 Sand-Worn Band
Trinket 1 Essence of Gossamer
Trinket 2 Valor Medal of the First War
Weapon Last Laugh
Shield Wall of Terror
Libram Libram of Obstruction

NOTE: EoG is a given; Concerning the 2nd trinket. Alternatives are Repelling charge, and Indestructible Alchemist's Stone. I don't consider the others worthwhile (lavanthor's talisman maybe).

Contrary to your own advice, you actually rated some pieces with block rating and block value higher than avoidance pieces. I find that odd to say the least. I do agree however that raw avoidance does help with progression more than Block Value does

This setup also gives the option of a 4pc set by swapping out the Chest and Hands for the T7.5 pieces. It will provide Block Cap provided it is gemmed / enchanted correctly. It will also provide for over 28k base HP with two stamina-based professions (all offer around 50stamina, so estimated at 96). In terms of raw avoidance, this set will provide more than yours (which is still ideal in terms of damage mitigation for progression fights).

If swapping to the 4pc set instead, your raw avoidance drops, but you receive the block rating to make up for it (if you were close to block cap). In fact the block cap avoidance is higher for the 2 pc set, so if you have a large number of the items, you may be able to reach block cap by substituting the tiered pieces.

Fact is, I really don't agree with some of your choices for best-in-slot, and they seem to contradict your belief in raw avoidance over block value. I also don't consider (and many others seem to agree with me on this topic) the 4pc set bonus really worth it.

If you're going to have a best-in-slot list - If you consider using a JC-only item, that is great, however you MUST provide an alternative for non JC'ers. And even so, I don't consider the monarch crab as useful as the two alternatives (Valor Medal, and Repelling Charge).

Your design seems reminiscent of the classic 'stacking health makes you a good tank' philosophy that has proven fail over the many years. Building a tanking set is more than just 'STAMINA STAMINA STAMINA'. While I admit that stamina is a very important part of the equation, If you have the avoidance to cover it, a little less health does not make you a worse tank.

Battlehammer
Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 pm
Don't know if this has been covered but your Monarch Crab has an option for if you aren't a JC. You aren't equipping Monarch Crab without being a JC.

Unless I got something mixed up somewhere.
kp3t3houg
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 am
@ Frickit -
tnx, we care alot for you ... random Smile
_________________
Barathorn
Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 am
I am letting this thread run because I believe it is helping the community understand different viewpoints on how to tank and gear up. At the first sign of any more name calling or horse play I will be locking it. Be constructive and respectful and add to the discussion please everyone, either for or against the way Ratanna's list is compiled. Don't post if you cannot keep your opinion and post rational and back it up with facts not just what you 'feel' is right.

Barathorn
_________________
Ratanna
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:49 pm
i'm 1 item away from my list and that is Malyc25 legs. 3 stam away from 32k unbuffed. can't wait til patch so i can get enchanting upgrades and 2% more stam. shoulb e at around 33.5k
_________________

Widdox
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 am
I pretty much agree with most of the selections here. I tend to lean toward avoidance at times, but I am using the block val meta gem and I am working toward being block capped. I am 2.5% away right now.

Im not 100% sold on the 4pc bonus, and expertise is pretty low on my list, so I'll probably skip the helm.
_________________
Ratanna
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 am
i'd like to also note in my current setup i'm at 105.878% unbuffed. well over block capped with raid buffs. and i will still be block capped when i get malyc 25 legs.
_________________

Ratanna
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:42 pm
i didnt use a website. i used the macro.

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)*150/355 + 20)*0.04,1,0.5,0)

does this not work anymore?
_________________