Skip to content
Maintankadin

Pre-raid Tanking: Theories, Goals and the Gear to Get There

Vestori
Tue May 13, 2008 12:08 pm
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34670 <---- Seeker's Gavel
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34676 <--- Dawnforged Defender


I just ran across these when I was doing dailies, i think the Seeker's Gavel is a very good replacement for Continuum Blade, only a .04 spell crit difference between the two, and getting revered with SSO is very easy, if you cant find the CoT groups needed for revered.


I'm not sure about the shield, but thats a nice bit of hp, and the dodge rating is nice as well, but I think both should be added for the list due to easy availability with the shattered sun dailies.
Feanaro
Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 pm
I have a quick question about gemming: I recently had Helm of the Stalwart Defender (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23535) crafted and was about to throw 3 x 12stam gems in it, but I'm hesitant because I've never paid attention to any other Protection Paladins and how they gem their gear. Is it more important to focus on avoidance first, and then worry about stamina?
Kelaan
Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm
You only care about dodge/parry/block %s when you're going for uncrushable (ie, want to raid tank). (That's an oversimplification, as those stats (and the avoidance/mitigation that comes frmo them) are all VERY good to have... but I wouldn't gem for them unless you need it for uncrushability.)


Eanin's guide has good stuff for that, and you should be able to get uncrushable while still gemming for +12 stamina in every slot you can, most of the time. If you follow the uncrushability guide, you're still going to be low on health, though -- especially for heroics and such. For that reason, I'd say stamina gems all the way, unless you know that replacing one with a dodge or defense gem will get you uncrushable. Until you're close to getting uncrushable,though, I'd still stack the stamina (and then the same once you're PAST uncrushble).

This might be a good Q to ask in the gear advice sticky.
Shoju
Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:18 pm
I think that you should add the fearless girdle to the list of gear. It's fairly easy to obtain, from a lvl 65 quest in zangarmarsh. It has good stats, defense rating, 2 sockets, and is easy to get.

http://thottbot.com/i25922


Fearless Girdle
Binds when picked up
Waist Plate
516 Armor
+12 Strength
+25 Stamina
Red Socket
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +3 Hit Rating
Durability 40 / 40
Equip: Increases defense rating by +12 (5.1)


I still use it on my paladin as an early solution to 490
_________________
My Paladin
TBC: {11/11 kz}{2/2 gl} {1/1 mag} {6/6 za} {6/6 ssc} {4/4 TK} {4/5 MH} {9/9 BT} I HATE YOU ARCHIMONDE
EvilNuff
Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Pre-raid Tanking: Theories, Goals and the Gear to Get Th

Great list, it has been invaluable to me but I do have a question. My paladin is played pretty much only in a fixed group of 5 RL friends. We are working our way through the level 70 normal dungeons and plan to move onto heroics but have no real plans for any raids. IE I have been looking at the >5< gear here mostly.

Meatydog
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:59 am
just curious about a couple things.

First is the Vambraces of daring drop. Would it be possible to add the Lion Hearths Girdle to the list since the wrists are in the same instance? They are both heroic drops. I know that Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard is better but its still a good belt to me anyways. It is an epic though so not sure if it should go on this list.

Second is the Silvermoon Crest shield that drops off Murmur in SL.
The shield gives no defense or avoidance. Just SD. are you referring to this shield for a person that has their avoidance up and defense up? Just so they can get better threat?

And also if its not too much trouble, would you be able to add who gives the quest for some gear or if its a chain quest like Flesh beast's metal greaves give the name of the person that begins the quest. And for badge items could you give the number of badges? Id have no problem in getting the info for you or helping you out in getting the info.

Just a few ideas. Flame if ya want, they will be ignored.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog
Ciandin
Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:11 am
@EvilNuff: There's nothing wrong with using either of those pairs of gloves. Since you don't have a second set piece I would probably use the Felsteel as well. But once you can make a 2pc match, the 15% mana reduction on consecration is very nice. You are free to use whichever pair you choose, however, my biggest recommendation would be to not vendor the other pair. Keep them both available

As far as the gemming goes, most of the opinions made on this site are with raid boss tanking in mind. You can't just look at two similar pieces of equipment and make a generic "this piece is better" statement.

The felsteel gloves are an amazing piece that alot of players have used even through T5 content. The enhanced armor and socket slots make them a very nice EH piece. A rule of thumb many people here recommend is to gem for stam, and enchant to the strength of the item. Thats why I wouldn't add spell damage gems to the felsteels.
_________________
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Meatydog
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 pm
Right now i got my felsteels gemmed with +12 stam and +8 def. And the def will be traded out later with better gear, when my def is high enough. And then ill throw a +12 stam gem in it. Possibly a DoDge gem to get my avoidance up.
But its all personal preference and depends on what your stats look like. If i had 500 def, id prolly put 2 stam gems in there. I think its the gloves you can enchant for +2% threat also. So if you encant them instead of putting the SD gems in there your creating room for more gems.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog