Skip to content
Maintankadin

How hard is the trash?

Lightstrider
Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 am

How hard is the trash?

How hard is the trash mobs in SP? I'm wondering for my friends guild he's in tier 5 SSC/TK and prolly gonna start farming trash/starting MH/BT and I was wondering how hard the trash is in SP to farm for drops of engineering goggles and so forth? Is it possible for a tier 5 guild to just take on trash? I think it would help guild finances to sell the sunmotes and goggles recipes they don't need to provide for stuffs to make MH/BT easier.
_________________
I understand how scissors can beat paper, and I get how a rock can beat scissors, but there's no way paper can beat rock. Is paper supposed to magically wrap around rock and leave it immoblile? Why can’t paper do this to people?
Drak
Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:26 am
Not sure, but I've heard that the 2nd highest horde guild on the server (which has had illidan on farm for 2-3 months now) is having troubles with trash and are wiping a lot to it, so take that as you may. It's probably doable, but it certainly won't be a cakewalk and might not be worth doing for the time/gold needed.
_________________
Lore
Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 am
It's pretty rough. We don't pull with people AFK, and things can go pretty wrong pretty fast.

Also a T5 guild might not have the DPS to kill the scouts before they can activate the golems, and a golem + a pack of 8 mobs is most likely a wipe even for a T6 guild.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
Lightstrider
Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 am
wow, well I guess we'll stick to hyjal trash. I know they drop an okay fist set. So much for getting my goggles. I do plan to at least see illidan down. I honestly couldn't care less about the gear drops badge rewards will suit me I just want to be able to say that I've been there and done that. I went pre TBC Only getting as far as MC, Ony and wiping hundreds of times on razorgore. I'd like to enter wrath of the lich king saying that I saw illidan down. I know the big famous guilds like Nihilum and such were very anti resto druid and anti prot pally but do you see resto druids as very sought after in high end?
_________________
I understand how scissors can beat paper, and I get how a rock can beat scissors, but there's no way paper can beat rock. Is paper supposed to magically wrap around rock and leave it immoblile? Why can’t paper do this to people?
Sahiel
Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 am
My guild has downed Archi but not Illidan yet, we use both resto druids and a prot pally (Yay! Smile). In certain high end fights (Gurtogg for example) a resto druid is an absolute godsend for being able to spam heal and forget HoTs on a whole bunch of people in a very short span of time. Also, in any fight that silences healers a resto druid is well worth having too, maybe no-one can cast but all those HoTs are still ticking away keeping the tanks up.

The top guild on our server did Hyjal without a prot pally and needless to say, did not enjoy the instance much at all, they're kinda leet so they cleared it all regardless, but compare that to the sheer fun and laughter on our vent when I start spamming consecrate and the locks/mages get to go crazy (some have hit almost 3000 DPS on the trash.... o.O)... I doubt very much we'd ever stop using prot pally/resto druids unless some future instances nerfed their viability hugely.
_________________
Stroja
Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 am
You could farm the trash in SW, but the difficulty level is pretty high, imo. The packs with scouts (starting with the 4th pull) require as much coordination as some bosses. If you're just starting T6 content, you'd probably get more reward for effort by farming Hyjal trash and easy bosses.
_________________
Splug
Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:57 am
Doable? Probably. If you get your CC correct, your healing is spot-on, and you can coordinate enough burst damage to bring down the scouts, you should be able to handle the trash.

But I can't see it being time or cost efficient. The trash drop rates are poor (we have yet to see a single engineering plan: one hunter spear, one leatherworking pattern, one tailoring pattern), the encounters require a lot of coordination, tanks take a lot of burst damage, pulls tend to be fairly long between setup time and the relatively high mob HP, and Kalecgos is going to be more than a guild in pre-T6 gear is likely to handle. You'd definitely be better off spending the time in Hyjal or BT, where bosses are easier prey and the time-per-kill on trash is much shorter. When you throw in the repair costs, you wouldn't even be making much money for your guild bank if you do luck out on a plan drop, most likely.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Elsie
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:08 pm
You can pull robots without the groups if you use Eye of Kilrogg cleverly. Doesn't work for all packs, but for some you can kill all the scout's nearby robots.
Qualinesti
Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:20 am
My Guild use like 6-8 Mages for sheeping everything we are not killing.

The Scouts we PoP all our trinkets and big nukes and take them down.

As far as progression goes we have downed the first 4 bosses in Hyjal, and 3 bosses in BT.

As far as I know we have not attempted the first boss in SunWell though.
Dapaladin
Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 am
I've lead a trash farming group 2 weekends now into sunwell. The trash hits pretty damn hard. I've tanked the robots and die probably 50% of the time i do seeing as im in mostly badge and t5 gear. Assuming you get 1 gem tahts like 400g on my server at least until the gem vendor opens up.

We've gotten a Polearm 2 healing wands 1 DPS wand and a resto shaman LW pattern. Sold for 4k to a guildy.

It's been like my guild and 2 or 3 others who have been participating in the farming none of them have any SW bosses down but 2 of them are done with BT and MH.
_________________