Skip to content
Maintankadin

Kalec

atheas
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Kalec

No easy way to say it. I am getting smoked in this fight. 540~ def 28% dodge 20% parry and about 20k hp buffed. I know resonance is in effect and alters these numbers.

A question i have: Can dodge be negative? if i have 18% dodge and resonance is factored, do i have -2% dodge or 0. If it is zero it would make sense to limit dodge as much as possible and throw on parry/def gear.

I am still looking for gear options such as illidan helm, za trinket, kael gloves but if i worried more about parry/BV/def could i simply neglect dodge?
Worldie
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:52 pm
No dodge can't get negative. You just drop to 0

And erm, 20k hp buffed is LOW
_________________

atheas
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm
The two other tanks have 21k and 21.5k hp so i am lagging there
Elsie
Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:49 pm
Remember there's a -25% avoidance 'buff to mobs' in sunwell.

Your HP is pretty low.
Neuron
Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 am
the fight is very doable with your HP. if you are in what is probably the appropriate or mostly appropriate gear, which with that much defense seems like you are, then there is probably a problem with your strategy and how heals are coordinated.

all tanks seem to take about the same amount of damage here, even the "i have everything from BT" warriors. an extra 3k hp would be better but its not the end of the world or bad enough to prevent you from tanking it.

- dont taunt off others, taunt off kalec below
- know when to pop trinkets based on how many healers are on your side
- come prepared with about 40 ironshields per night.
_________________
Oramac
Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 am
i've had excellent luck tanking this in a max EH set. sacrifices some dodge for about another 1K HP and some more armor. plus i get 60 hit rating + precision to boot. no resisted taunts FTW! unfortunately, we've only gotten him to 2% on our best try, but im sure we'll get him soon. hoping for an Ally server first.
_________________
Splug
Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 am
I agree with Oromac on this one. With the sunwell mob-accuracy buff, avoidance is too unreliable to bank on (which is a real shame because I was a huge advocate of evasion tanking bosses in BT). Gearing for EH as a primary goal and threat/avoidance as secondary really shines here.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Nicki
Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:34 am
When I went I found better returns from avoidance gear I had picked up rather than tank gear. True im severely undergeared for sunwell but in avoidance gear my chances of living were higher and I wasn't 'gimping' my health too much 21k and 55% avoidance was far better than 22.5k and 45% avoidance. There are some very good avoidance items out there, leos belt comes to mind...

no combat logs so i couldnt analyse I got dcd randomly =\ and gahhhhhh because it turned off my /combatlog...Q_Q
_________________
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Aetherial
Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:37 pm
I'll third that, while you *can* do this with avoidance primary if you're in full BT gear, you're better off going the EH route. Our first kill I was in my usual Illidan set, 2nd kill I pumped up the stamina. Noticeable difference... first kill I died in the enrage, 2nd kill I didn't.

Get used to going for EH though, because while you can *kind of* go either way on Kalecgos, Brutallus is unforgiving as an 18 wheeler.
ricmrune
Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:46 am
I am wondering about the avoidance effect as well. Usually my "normal" tanking set is low on the avoidance end at about 19% dodge and 18% parry but high on stam with 18.5k HP (all stats unbuffed). This set has served me well up to council.

On Kalecgos dragon form however, I'm getting hits of around 7k consistently and I'm not seeing many dodges and parries than I used to. Demon form isn't a problem. So if I'm on dragon, the healers are having a hell of a time to keep me up.

I can swap some items around to get around 25% dodge and drop to 16.6k HP. But I didn't get a chance to test it since the guild changed strats and I sat out.

Can someone link a source that explains the anti-avoidance buff that mobs are getting? And what would be the minimal dodge/parry numbers to carry in Sunwell or at least Kalecgos.
_________________
RICMRUNE - Paladin (Windrunner)

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Ricmrune
Gerilith
Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:59 am
Are you using Ironshield Potions? There is no avoidance stacking needed. Just have enough HP and armor.
_________________

Cauze blizzard begins to let healing suck.
Tisiphone
Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:02 pm
My gear isn't so glorious...
We have actually had one night of tries on him so far, but it seemed to be no problems tanking him with 22.5k HP buffed and about 60% avoidance. Not really sure if this counts as avoidance or EH set, though.
_________________
Like they say, bind all buttons to FoL and just roll your head over the keyboard.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jaedenar&n=Tisiphone