Skip to content
Maintankadin

Brutallus and taunting

Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:57 am
bubbling, like in Nalorakk..


Of course, things are much, much hairier on that guy O.o
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Splug
Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 am
Hrm... it wouldn't let you inherit the other tank's threat though, so you'd have to stay at #2 on threat for 40 seconds while not tanking. Given the damage-intensive nature of the fight, it's more likely that BoP on the other tank will result in all the fury warriors and warlocks being very quickly devoured.
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:31 am
As I said, much much more hairy :p
I don't know how warrior and druid taunts work other than being enemy-targetted and have a shorter cooldown. Is it really something that would invariably make or break the fight after a resist?
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Splug
Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:45 am
Aye, it's the cooldown in this case. You have a 14 second window to get Brutallus onto the other tank before he performs another Meteor Slash. RD is 15 seconds, so a resist means that tank's side takes an additional Slash. Depending on the strategy, your healers, and the random Burn victims, that may be survivable but very unpleasant. In some strategies I've heard of, it is a guarenteed wipe. In a three-tank rotation, it's probably not really a problem at all. If a warrior's taunt is resisted, taunt will be back up in 10 seconds, letting them try again. In the event both taunts fail, challenging shout presents a third attempt (though it may only be used once per fight). If challenging shout and both taunts all fail, mocking blow gives a fourth attempt. If all four of those miss, you're back in the same spot... but you only have to win one out of four dice rolls to the paladin's one out of one. Druids would be looking at three attempts (growl, growl, challenging roar).

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:45 am
Worse doesn't mean undoable, it may still mean worse.

it's really that Paladin tricks are very different to work on. On that for example, there's no tank rotation if there's a resist. You work your way to soak the lash and the other tank keeps going in the cycle.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Splug
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:19 pm
Hrm - should we relocate this discussion to the Brutallus thread at some point? It's starting to get fairly specific to the encounter, hehe.

Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:31 pm
Taunting, as I see, sets my threat to the threat level of the aggroed person + makes him target me. I have to keep racing if said target doesn't stop.


However, that didn't seem to be true in the equivalent fight for him, nalorakk, where you have to keep taunting so the tanks survive the fight. There, instead of just gaining aggro + top threat, it was a plain "my threat becomes my threat + his threat". I've noticed that both on the meter, as a tank(no aggro loss even being oom for a considerable while of my phase) and as a dpser(pushing unsalved 1200 dps on the warlock and not stealing aggro at all since the first taunt is no small thing when the tanks don't produce that much threat). Is this how it happens for this guy? If it is, threat really doesn't seem it will ever be an issue.




... >.> I'm nowhere close to even glancing at sunwell, why am I speculating here?
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Splug
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 pm
Meteor Slash places a debuff on everyone in front of Brutallus, increasing fire damage by 75% and stacking. The debuff lasts 40 seconds, so you need someone else to tank for that time while your debuff, as well as everyone behind you, lets it fade. Thus, the "40 seconds off" time will be uneffected by how many tanks you have, etc: unless everyone behind you can iceblock or divine shield away the debuff, you must take a 40 second break each cycle.

However, you make a good point about threat rotations while not tanking. I was thinking in terms of what happens when I as a warrior am not tanking, and the result is that I have about 15 seconds of burning what rage I have left (during which heroic strike is a non-option), as well as replacing revenge with an additional devastate. After that, rage generation bottoms out and I can't really do much of anything to generate reliable threat. Meanwhile, paladins would only lose holy shield ticks, and would be able to suppliment the lost threat via throwing a pair of AS's. So the gap a paladin tank would observe while not tanking would be much smaller than what a warrior observes.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug