Skip to content
Maintankadin

Kalecgos 1 tank SR strat...questions

Tekkel
Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 am
Aye, am also pretty happy my warrior MT turned around and let's me and the ferals tank do some more MTing.

The fact that some slots have hardly any viable gear choices is annoying but my main concern remains surviveability and threat output equal to other tanks. If the scaling in wotlk keeps being like this I'll just reroll main to my mage.
Splug
Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 am
Actually, what I was getting at was that anyone who bails on a guild over something as silly as a specific item's prioritization is a very sad, selfish person. That's an extremely poor display of loyalty, and I find it in very poor form to even encourage something like that. Is it fair to be put behind pickups or alts? No, but two wrongs do not make a right. Skipping the alt run is fair game and reasonable protest. Skipping a main raid would be pushing it. Leaving a guild over something like that would be a black mark that I would have to be fairly despirate to overlook on an application.

If I left my guild over something like that, I wouldn't even try to find another guild on my warrior. The market's flooded with prot warriors, and anyone with that kind of "my way or no way" history would be lucky to find a TK/SSC guild to recruit them, let alone the content they'd been working on.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Cakes
Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 am
Lucit, I'll trade you a geared warriors for resto shaman.
Splug
Wed May 28, 2008 10:24 am
Your example would be more appropriate to use the Longblade, since rogues can actually equip it. Wink But it's a much better 1:1 correspondance: they're both minor upgrade threat weapons that the tanking class does not get full use of all the stats on. And while I wouldn't agree with a call like that, I don't think it would be nearly justification for leaving a guild that has taken me from 8/8 Valor to 8/8 Onslaught.

... And yeah Cakes, if you find a good place to pick up resto shaman, let me know.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Splug
Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 am
The argument of "best-in-slot" versus "best use of an item" is not new, and there is no right answer. One way or the other, someone has to lose the debate, and what each guild decides is their solution is a matter of generalized priorities, not disrespect to a single member.

Let's flash back to when my guild established its position on this topic: This weapon was the best hunter offhand in the game back in Molten Core. 1% crit and 20 AP, and you can use not one but two +15 agi enchants! Arrows and gunshots are just that much better with something like this at your hip! And then, there were the seal fate rogues... who saw a 10 DPS jump in their offhand damage, on top of the above effects. Best in slot for the hunter, but a rogue would see so much more use from it. It is a much bigger extreme of "wasted itemization," but it makes the stance easier to see and understand.

Now, that's not to say I agree with the call that was made. But I certainly can see the basis for it, have made similar calls myself (albeit in a system that allows 'off-priority' bids to still win out, just at a penalty), and find trying to turn a generalized stance on loot prioritization into personal disrespect to be near-sighted and selfish. If there was something else at work here, that's another matter entirely, but I think that the "life must be perfect or go somewhere else" call gets made entirely too often.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Elsie
Wed May 28, 2008 12:25 pm
I don't necessarily think that corresponds. ToC is the best in slot for us, and raises the threat cap while we're tanking to increase all the raid's dps.

We are not arguing that the first ToC should go to a paladin. That'd be ok, weird, but ok. When you're starting out BT/Hyjal that makes tons of sense.

We're arguing if you're in sunwell you should be easily get shots at a Zhardoom / sunwell staff / s3, or at least easier than a paladin. Meanwhile, the paladin is stuck with the equivalent to the Najentus Dagger.
Katamai
Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 pm
Problem is no one is even in the position to dispute warriors getting their weapon, let alone it being the best in slot (like ToC was for some classes).

Just shows that while the already established and most pampered class with no need to prove itself has it brain-dead easy, we have to struggle with shitty itemization on top of all the prejudice, bad game design and crappy class design.

I really hope WotLK changes this otherwise i'm either rerolling or quitting. Being frustrated to death by being mana burned on Twins gauntlet, getting people killed due to that and being the regular joke because someone didn't sheep the mob before it burned my mana and mana i got from a pot is infuriating to say the least.

Which is why when i see warriors QQing how they are underpowered and how game design prefers paladin tanks makes me wanna smash their faces with that pink, lollypop abomination i call my mace <_<
_________________
Kayoto
Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 am
If a guild I was in, that I had been in for a long time, forced me to pass on a direct upgrade for a goddamn recruit I can guarantee you I'd walk out that day just on principle (I really wouldn't care about the actual gear).

If you're a long-standing member with good attendance, and the item ACTUALLY benefits you, and you want it, then someone who is on trial getting it over you is wrong on every level imaginable. We're not talking about "oh no he gave it to this warlock member who's only been with us 3 months compared to my 6" or "wtf this mage is taking it I DESERVE IT MOAR BECUZ I R TANK," we're talking about a person who has zero obligation to the guild, and hasn't put in nearly the amount of effort towards forwarding the guild's progress at all.

I can kind of understand your half of the debate, Splug, but in the exact situation that the guy was in, I just don't think it applies at all. Confused
_________________