Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is it me or...

Cakes
Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 pm
To add to what Splug said about Kalecgos: it's true that sometimes you won't have debuffs, you'll just have to deal with it. Ideally, you're rotating in such a manner that when you hit the demon realm, there is another tank already down there debuffing the demon, some of which will remain after he leaves. The demon is going to stun you however, something that debuffs won't change. You won't dodge, you won't parry, you won't block, just like any other tank.

You're looking at it from the point that we're worse tanks because we take more damage. The proper way to see it is that regardless of class, as a tank, you're going to get demolished. Things in Sunwell just hit way, way too hard to have 4% be your deciding difference in tanks. 4% less of 24k damage is still dead tank.
Kitara
Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:18 pm
The replies so far haven't really convinced me and I still don't see any advantages so far... but then I'm not really that far into sunwell... let's see Razz
Knaughty
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:30 pm
We're past Illidan, but haven't even got to Kacelgos, so this is theory, but for Brutallus:

• Warrior brings critical debuffs, but has lowest threat if tanking. Debuffs can easily be covered by DPS warrior.
• Druid has best mitigation.
• Paladin brings +3% crit to entire raid (yes, even tank specced). Judgment can easily be covered by DPS Paladin, but not Holy. Paladin should have highest threat as a tank, and take the first rotation.

• Burst threat on the pull is a huge deal. Paladin wins.

So there are critical debuffs required from both paladin and warrior, either of which can be covered by DPS or tank specced versions. Bubble-taunt is actually BETTER than Shield Wall for Brute, because you last longer after the enrage.

By far the more important issue than which two tanks you bring is correctly balancing (read: Stacking the hell out of) the raid for perfect composition.

If I was raid leading it, I'd just take my two best geared tanks, regardless of class, and tell them: Min-max spec for Brute.
_________________
Cakes
Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:27 am
I'm confused by the lack of the best single-target dps in the game, but to each their own. For the second raid setup you posted, I'd swap the lock in with the healers and spriest for one of the mages in with the resto shaman. Lock gets totems, mage gets mana return.

If you're not taking any more melee than what you are (still puzzling), have all those hunters stay BM, rather than a token survival hunter and BM hunters around him.
Eliane
Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 am
I tanked Kalecgos on our progression kill and I am tanking Brutallus on our progression attempts. In my opinion, the class doesnt really matter all that much on Brutallus because ALL tanks can die in less than one second when things go wrong. If you have the gear for it, you can tank it just as good as a warrior.

I maintank Sunwell along with a warrior because we are simply the best tanks we have in the guild. We've always chosen skill of player of class.

And for those worried about threat, well, our warlocks go all out from start in this fight. That should tell you something about the threat we can put out and I have, in all honesty, yet to see a druid put out the amount of threat we do here.
_________________
Splug
Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:24 am
I talked to Zenge a week or two ago and it sounds like you guys already had some fairly solid plans for what you want to do. But for shits and grins, I can come up with the following as an "includes a paladin tank" option by cross-referencing your two listed group configs. G5 has a dead slot with a healer "just kind of there," but otherwise everything looks fairly solid.
Rorshach
Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 am
Oh yeah Zenge always knows what to do. The guy exhaustively researches everything before we are even halfway there. He is crazyily obsessive that way Very Happy

I'm just posting pally progress really and looking for info from others as well, but not to convince him otherwise. He has two setups, I'm sure the druid one will succeed but I also want to try soon too and would like an 'already-used-and-succeeded' raid setup that works with a paladin.
Thanks for the setup, I'll post it and get guild comments.

As an aside, I successfully tanked Kalecgos through his enrage last night, until 2% anyways when when instead of a LoH I got hit with a DI which was apparently right next to LoH. Stupid holy pallies! Razz

But at least I know I can enrage tank now! Oh, and damn the T6 prot bracers are fiiiiiiiine!
_________________
Rorshach ~ Paladin TANK
Encore of Illidan
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
"Ha ha ha . . . . wooo!"
Splug
Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:41 am
Hah, our Kalecgos strategy relies on me popping shield wall to tank Sathrovarr with no healers if there are any random lapses in portals spawning at all. It also seems to involve me getting shredded around 3%, because I'm not entirely sure I remember living through that fight yet...

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Splug
Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:03 am
Heh, after a night of attempts I asked if our healers would be ok without one. The resto druid said it wasn't needed, and that he was pretty much sitting at 100% mana with one. Then a holy paladin said something very 'colorful' about druid mana regeneration, lifebloom, and game ballance. We haven't run with a shadow priest for the healers on this fight since then; giving it to the mages lets them use destruction potions and fire blossoms. Currently the healers have enough mana and the raid is surviving, but our kills are still ~5 seconds post-enrage. Besides, the healer groups all have resto shaman. Mana tide adds a fair chunk of return as well.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug