Skip to content
Maintankadin

Brutallus

Neuron
Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:05 am
Seems very tankable by a paladin. Just put on the hit gear and do not focus on threat. You have exorcism and massive incoming damage that ensures you have mana to make up for it in threat, as well as misdirects and other threat helpers.

Seems to me that it is OK to drop off spell damage for this one and put on the hit gear to assist with taunt.

The priority is not threat, but effective health and avoidance. The spike damage is nuts.

I think it is actually more of a test of your raid's healers than tanks or dps. A tank just needs to worry about popping a trinket and taunting plus the usual ability spam. DPS almost stands in one position and presses fireball or shadowbolt.

Healers deal with 6 minutes of a chance that the current tank can take 24,000 damage in 2 seconds. Having enough mana and not overhealing and dealing with tank taunt/transitions and burn and freaking insane spike damage on a T6 tank can be rather difficult.

I will say it is easier than Kalecgos if you have been in a BT farming guild with sufficient DPS. Lucky to have some 2400 dps casters and such I guess. But it is easier to execute and repeat and learn.
_________________
Cakes
Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 am
Our best attempts so far have been spoiled by locks pulling agro. I say they should know better by now, but Omen isn't exactly working well either.
Snake-Aes
Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 am
This week's version is pretty much the best so far, I say. people were pulling monstrous dps against me in dps races and didn't pull aggro, by riding Omen. Just make sure everyone has the same version. Omen has a version check you can use even to /w the players with incompatible versions.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Afraithe
Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:14 am
WWS Log from 1% wipe.

http://wowwebstats.com/xauew1ggaomsy?s=10411-10799

This is the Damage Taken difference between me and the Warrior tank.

Afraithe
787 370

Paynez
785 476

I took 1894 more damage than him.

The Warrior has the best gear available in his inventory, we both where eating Ironshields etc. I'm missing a few gear things but not anything that would make any significant difference.

During all our tries that night, I took a total of 4% more damage than him. But I tried out some different gear sets (maxing stamina <-> maxing avoidance).

Warrior has 1 taunt resisted throughout all the tries, I had none.

Just thought someone might find that interesting. I'm not quite sure why ppl think Paladins are worse for this fight?
_________________
Lore
Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 am
The only reason I can think why people would consider Paladins worse for this fight is that they are looking at that 4% extra damage without looking at whether or not it actually matters. It doesn't. Tanks don't die by 4% on this fight; you're either topped off, or dead.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
Splug
Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:44 am
A bit of mechanics crunching on two topics. Cross-quoting from another thread because it's more relevant to Brutallus than the other thread:
Lore
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 pm
Should be noted that hitting the 23k mark fully raid buffed even with shout means you're going to be wearing stamina-heavy gear, and definitely gemming and enchanting for it. At that point due to itemization limitations there really isn't much you can do to increase avoidance.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
Splug
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 pm
Hrm, I sit at 24k with blood pact and commanding shout, in what I feel is fairly middle-of-the-road gear set (other than the Praetorian's, which is 3x15 stam, I'm using all agi/stam gems).

... Or was that 24k with seed up? Bah... I'll have to check when I get home. Either way, my main point was that the EH gains beyond 23k health are nil until about 28k health, and if you're willing to assume you have HoT's running you could clip the number by whatever you feel your HoT between swings income is. Those numbers also change relative to your healers' equipment and assume nothing crits (IE: worst case evaluation).

-Splug

EDIT: In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that 24k was with a seed up. I'll have to do a bit more digging on reasonable healing and HoT income... somehow the heal estimates feel too handwavy. I'm probably better off assuming a baseline heal-over-time component, then crunching the needed "burst heal" from what's left over... I'll tweak it tomorrow.
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Afraithe
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm
Number crunch all you want but does that WWS lie? Its a good fight to check mitigation/avoidance with so many hits (around 150). We tanked exactly the same length (he enraged on him just as I normally should have taunted him, killed him, turned to me, killed me).

The difference in a 6 minute fight of insane attack speed and burst/non-burst damage is 2000 dmg.

The 4% overall was including me trying out different gear sets probably.
_________________
Jikozani
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:27 pm
In that quote, I 'm not actually debating the usefulness of AD, I 'm merely saying that I 'm dropping into AD range all the time and getting healed up.

Another nigtht of tries, again major issue being tanks dying and me is the one dying the most often. The difference is not only 4% (which I do feel it's noticeable) but also last stand which my fellow warrior is able to pop pretty much every try during his second stomp.
_________________
Iliria
Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm
Ok i thought i was reading this correctly but now i'm confused..total hp you want to have without popping consumables/cooldowns (shadowmoon insigna/nightmare seed) is...23k?

We were also considering bringing in an aff lock for the shadow embrace (5% less damage on a potential 23k shot is pretty sexy...)
_________________
Afraithe
Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 am
Tank deaths are most common here, takes a while before healers get settled.

The fact that you die first might be cause of the way you start, are you starting tanking or him? There are certain points in switches where Stomp will be close to the switch, and a Meteor slash, thats a lot of burst the healers have to watch for.
_________________
Lore
Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 am
Are you dying at the switch, and healers just don't turn their attention to you quick enough? Make sure you're calling out 3 or 4 seconds ahead of time when you're going to taunt.

Are you dying during the stomp? Make sure healers know it's coming, and pop something. I use a Shadowmoon Insignia -> Moroes Pocket Watch -> Nightmare Seed rotation.

Also, around the 6th or 7th stomp (3rd or 4th for you), it should start to overlap with the tank transitions a bit to where you can let the other tank eat the stomp and then taunt as soon as it goes off.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!