Skip to content
Maintankadin

Power-leveling an alt with a Prot Paladin

Igrado
Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:15 am

Power-leveling an alt with a Prot Paladin

I read about running an alt through instances back-to-back, using a Paladin, to power-level it. Biggest reason for using a Pally to do it is the reactive AOE makes the mobs stick, and as Prot you can solo instances well into the 50s.

Has anyone done this or know of a site where I can get more information on the process? "I heard of this one guy..." is nice and may give me some ideas, but I'm mostly looking for harder evidence than just hear-say, if at all possible. I'm pretty certain there was a thread on this, but that was probably 6 months ago and I wasn't able to find it yesterday.

My plan right now is to get my alt to 18 by questing (she's 10 now), then run her through SFK and move on up, hitting each new instance as early as possible. Igradö is a lok so I'm planning to do tailoring and Disenchanting. I should get plenty of mats for both from getting to keep any loot i wish from instances. My Paladin could do all the DEing, but I don't see any other professions getting any use from this type of levelling, so I figure to use her if possible, there is almost nothing lost if she hits 60 and i decide to take a different prof.
I also plan to outfit her with as many 18 slots as I can, if not, full 16's. I may make one of those an enchanter's bag, if mats start to stack up, but it seems an easy enough thing just to bank things.

Someone who has already done this might be able to give me some help and advice.
- What level to start each of the instances.
- Are there any flaws in the professions I chose?
- Are there any dead spots in leveling where I should quest/grind instead?
- How hard will it be to learn the toon once I stop Power-leveling? Is it worth my time to stop and grind say one out of every 10 levels, or can I just learn it all once I hit 58/60?

Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to do nothing but level this weekend, outside of being in KZ.
_________________
Eyonix, the first real man at Blizzard with the balls to play a Paladin.
Dorvan
Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:34 am
I haven't done the full process you've mentioned, but the other day I ran a friend's alt through Stockades when he was level 15. The place is great for quickly running someone through...the winged layout means you're not too far from the entrance when you're done and the mobs will run in fear and grab more as you keep moving. At a 5-10 minute clear right in the middle of SW it's hard to beat for convenience....only drawback is that with the extremely fast clear time the 5 instance/hour limitation caps your progress via that instance.
_________________
Shirak
Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:46 am
I was able to talk my wife into playing WoW. Our guild leader is a holy Pali and he has run us through a few instances. Run, grab 20-40 mobs, consicrate, watch them die... The higher level instances just mean you need to pull a few fewer mobs.

As prot you should be able to do a complete stocks in three pulls.
_________________
Erendis
Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:11 am
I was grinding instances for most of my pally leveling. Now i was doing it legit through PuG's and guild groups. These are the rough levels I was doing these instances.

Deadmines: 15-20
Stockades: 20-26
Gnomer: 27-32
SM Lib (&RFK):33-35
SM ARM: 36-38
SM Cath (&RFD): 39-42
Uldaman: 43-45
Maraudon: 46-48
Zul'Farak: 49-52
BRD: 52+
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog

Mille
Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:35 am
sofar ive managed to do in a single pull without loosing any mobs to the lowbie with me:
deadmines
stockades
shadow fang keep (up to fenrus, the doors wont upen before hes dead)

So yeah, its pretty fast and easy Smile

as for the high lvl ones i´ve soloed baron and ive done alot of BRD gladiator runs. You can pull 30-40 mobs you just gotta be sure to get them and pray you avoid the stuns, since you can bubble with a lowbie with ya (unless you BoP him but meh.. you dont allways think that far ahead Smile ).

and as for gear, i wear my lvl70 blue/heroic blue gear to avoid repair costs, you dont really need spell dmg they die fast enough as it is but aim for high intellect since there wont be nothing but BoW and SoW/JoW giving ja mana and normal mobs die too fast to give any worthile mana back
JacobHC
Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 pm
The minimum level required for entry is very low. Sunken Temple's minimum level is 35, for example.

As long as you stick to +/- one instance in the "normal" progression of things, you should have no problem with minimum levels.
_________________
Eggfoo
Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:18 pm
Should work wonders for you. I know I was using my Prot Warrior to help run my Prot Pally through some instances using Block Gear, Blessing of Sanctuary/Ret Aura and a Shield Spike...Yeah...Prot Warriors aren't nearly as good at it as Paladins, but it sure beats stopping to eat/bandage and still went surprisingly fast somehow...Should be noted that I tried it first with DW and Whirlwind, but still had far too much downtime from eating/bandaging and not being able to heal.
herpackmule
Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:02 pm
There was a long post on this a while back on general forums.

Quest till you get into Deadmines.
Deadmines or Stockades till 20.
SM Armory and Cathedral until 43 (I prefer cathedral, but if you are doing it faster than 12 min, you have to do armory too, or you hit the reset limit)
BRD Until 60


Map for armory:
http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=armoryfr1.jpg

Map for cathedral:
http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smji5.jpg

The maps are from a mage PoV, but they show still show where to park the alt and still have him get exp. If you are too far, he wont get it. Too close and he will draw aggro.

Oh, one last thing. Make sure that your high level char zones in first. A level 20 WILL draw aggro just by entering the zone.

Looting takes a very long time, if you dont have a friend controlling the alt, I recommend either skipping all the loot, or only looting blues. Anything else takes too much time.