Skip to content
Maintankadin

[DK] Deep Frost DW DPS

Levantine
Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm

[DK] Deep Frost DW DPS

With the... restructuring of the Death Knight trees in 3.1, they've effectively neutered the two dps specs that I was finding somewhat enjoyable, the Trispec and 33/38.

Looking at the trees, I was wondering on the viability of a deep frost DW spec.

52/19

At this point I've just been playing around with the idea in my head. I was thinking of using a slow/fast set up to maximise the benefit of Necrosis, Obliterate and Frost Strike. Glyphs would be Icy Touch, Obliterate and Ghoul.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put it here so some of the other DK's could have a look at it. ^^'
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Selinaria
Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm
I think given the changes to the trees that your build would be fairly viable.

Dunno how good nerfed BCB will be for a DW build though, I could see getting subversion for more blood strike and oblit crit being a better choice. Possibly even outbreak would be better for those 3 points given the buffs to plague strike. Blood strike and oblit get too much of a bonus to damage from diseases now to leave out plague strike in rotations as was the norm for DW (especially with the intent of this build to use such strikes).

But overall I agree with the intent of the build. My major question is how well it will scale given it's reliance on weapon damage attacks in a DW build (oblit, frost strike, blood strike and plague strike)
_________________
Origon
Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 pm
Lev, I've been hearing good things about dw-deep UH, not sure on the actual spec, and its #s werent quite as high as 33/38, but with the nerfs it could very well be up there now, will edit if i find it

15/0/56 is the one being promoted, its dps being said as on par with 14/0/57 2h unholy

A few of the DKs in guild are talking about the Build as well as This one. Personally, I'm 2h and dislike DW so my thought on the subject wont be as useful but I believe these 3 are the ones being tested on EJs for the new top DW spec
_________________
Teneb
Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 pm
Given the 25% reduction (2x to 1.5x) to howling blast and the nerf to black ice, I can't see spending the points to go that deep for it. The only thing I've heard/seen is that the Oblit/Frost 2h strike build doesn't seem to be that hurt by the changes since they let you spend your KM procs on things that hit harder than HB.

Edit: Sowwy Lev, I loved DW dps too, but I can't see trying to make a go of it in frost anymore, UH is probably your best bet.

Edit2: Since I'm really out of it, if i recall UB is a better RP dump than FS for DW.
_________________

Teneb
Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:42 pm
Last I checked OB>HB once you hit deaths bite or so. I can't see taking it unless there's a ninja buff to HB somewhere that I missed since I can't seem to stay on the PTR.
_________________

Selinaria
Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 pm
Yea was thinking that as well.

Just one thing about the pestilence refresh rotation is that it will require points in unholy for increased disease duration ( no way you can get off that many abilities + frost strikes before diseases fall off) as well as having no way to apply icy talons. Not huge considerations but still important.
_________________
HiImRagnos
Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:36 pm
I have also loved my DW DK to death. Ive tried the 51/20 and deep unholy ones and the numbers just aren't there. The problem with deep frost DW builds is that the same spec will do more dps with a 2h on(with the talents from nerves into annihilation).

Blizzard really hit the DW DKs hard and I do think they will eventually make DW viable again, but that just isn't looking like it now. But if your still wondering about up and coming DW specs deathknight.info and EJ are really good to check daily (Though I'm sure you already look at those Razz )
_________________
I hate double stamina trinkets.