Skip to content
Maintankadin

Warlock question

Ashmadai
Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Warlock question

I was just wondering if anybody who has a lock they raid on as well could answer me a question. What kind of gear do you think you need to run aff or full destro right now? I just hit 80 yesterday on my Lock, and i'm going to start running 10 mans on him. Today I did some heroics as 0/41/30 and I did alright. Around 2500 on bosses, in my scrubby blue/green quest gear.

I just hate FG/Emberstorm. I don't really like the FG and I really don't like incinerate spamming. I want to go Aff or Destro, but I also hate being a gimp so I am willing to stick with this spec until I get a few weeks of gear under my belt if that's what I should do. I thought about Meta/Ruin too, but that seems equally spammy to FG/Emberstorm, though more raid friendly.
_________________
samsara
Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 am
hm, my most loved alt is an warlock Smile

It's affliction and i think it's dmg is reasonable, my account is copied over to the ptr and i maybe can give you a little feedback how warlock thinks carry on. From the patchnotes point of view it seem's affl. got a little nerf but thats not too bad as far as i see, my problem is only that my client crashes every 3 minutes with a fatal wow error, so i cannot do a reliable 5-10 minutes rotation Sad

So here's a little guide for you on "having fun with affliction in 10/25 raid environment" (pre 3.1 of course) Smile

Basics:

HitCap > Spell > Haste/Crit

HitCap:

With Supression (3) and Catalysm (3) = 368 HIT
if you add a moonkin or a shadowpriest its = 289 HIT

Glyphs:

at the moment the best you can get as affl-lock are

Corruption, Curse of Agony, Imolate


Pets:

Your pet of choice should be the Doomguard , if it's on cooldown use the fellhunter.
Don't use Doomguard for trash, it's better to have it ready on bossfights.
For example: Mine is doing on Patchwerk about 1300 dps, my fellhunter is somewhere between 300-400dps

Your Affliction-Rotation:

The fun part of beeing affliction is that it is not a 2-Button spamm class, you have to wath your dot's carefully and priorise them.
Your startrotation should allways be something like:

samsara
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:10 am
oh well, i forgot to say ...

when boss is @ 25%
drop immolate and use drain soul as filler.

You can setup msbt/sct to play a sound on every tick, with a good rotation it gives you about 3 ticks per the time you have to refresh your dot's. My drain soul ticks for about 15k-20k raidbuffed. And my gear is far away from beeing "best in slot" kind of gear.

http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mithrilorden/Hayagriva/force
_________________
lvl 70 / Samsara / Der Mithrilorden
Levantine
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:24 am
What the fuck?! 15-20k ticks?!
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Levantine
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 am
And to think my Warlock friend was complaining about being gimped. Hmph!
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Jasari
Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 am
I have an affliction lock that I raid on quite a bit.

Basically what samsara said is all accurate. Affliction DPS is very high right now on live (highest of the lock specs), but has been nerfed a fair amount on beta, current theory crafting puts 41/30 as the top DPS spec there, but everything is pretty close.

EJ has great discussion on locks in general: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/